Infertility
Options

PIO shot

holy smokes!!! My tush feels like it's about to fall off? Any pointers??? Ouch!!!!

Re: PIO shot

• Options
    I ice the area a few min before then after massage the area, put heat on it and walk around a little
  • Options
    My nurse said that I can't ice or put heat on it!!! @rachlee2010 I am literally hobbling around!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @alexiskiriluk did she say why to no ice or heat? My nurse recommended both and i've heard of tons of other people online who do the same.  Then def massage the area very well and walk around someone suggested doing squats..it's all to help the meds move around the muscle better.
  • Options
    She said since its oil the old will make it not go in as smooth??? I think she just wants me to be in pain!! 
  • Options
    Heat will definitely help ease the pain. I can understand why she would say icing it would make the oil harder to do; I personally have never been brave enough to ice, just heating pad after. If your DH is doing it make sure he pinches really firmly. That seems to help me. And if you use refrigerated kind, heat the full syringe up in your hands for a few minutes before injecting.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    @alexiskiriluk this shot is my archnemesis!   I was in excruciating pain during the PIO for a  bit and discovered this was because my DH was putting the needle in very, very slowly. I would feel a sort of hot pain searing through my butt!!   I instructed him to inject dart like all the way through, not just for puncturing the skin, but to go really fast til the needle is all the way in.  Since re-instructing him,  and with this change, i hardly feel it.  i do warm the meds before injecting.   I fill the needle and then wrap it in a heating pad.  I have never iced before injecting.  I'm conflicted about applying heat after post transfer because i've read some stuff about how you should elevate temperature after transfer.  I hope your bum feels better!!  
  • Options
    I was told no cold either, it slows the oil down. I was told heat was OK to liquify the med so they disperse faster. 

I do them twice a day. After months of this, you barely feel it any more! 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You guys are all freaking me out about this PIO shot! >.<

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You guys are all freaking me out about this PIO shot! >.<
    It's only bad the first few times from the anxiety. To me, it feels like a little ant bite. Sometimes I never feel it at all. I never feel the meds going in, just that initial stick. 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dragonfaerie Sorry, but it isn't the most pleasant thing. I'd say after the first 2-3 weeks, once you've gotten a positive beta, it gets easier. Then you know you're doing it to keep your emby alive and growing. And you kinda get used to it. Sure, there are some days where it will hurt to sit and you'll have lumps on both your butt cheeks, but other days you'll have no pain and won't even remember that you're doing them. You just have to keep this in mind: your growing emby needs the medicine. He/she cannot grow without it. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I know, some of those shots really blow, or the medicine is nasty, and you're tired of getting up to go to the doc. And I just think "I love you Baby!" But I still get nervous. :)

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last nights injection was much better!!! My right cheek feels horrible still but I think maybe we just hit a funny spot!!! Hopefully it's all worth it!!!! You will be fine @dragonfaerie
  • Options

I usually ice right before for maybe a minute at most. It just takes away that initial little sting when you put the needle in.  I haven't felt the needle go in once and I haven't had much soreness after. It does make it a little harder to push in the oil but I think that's just bc the oil takes longer to absorb into the body. DH has to give that one to me b/c I don't thi

Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker