September 2016 Moms
Options

How Popular is your name?

2»

Re: How Popular is your name?

• Options
    fiorip said:
    My name is not unique where I come from but it is an old name. My husband always jokes that I'm probably the youngest person named "Fior". All other's I've met with the same name are over 50. 

ETA I like my name, not popular or unique. 
    My husband says the same thing about me, haha! My name is Vera and besides the fashion designer I've never met another Vera under 60. But like you I love my name despite it's unpopularity & plainness!
  • Options
    Well, my name is Karla... not very unique, but not popular. I didn't like it growing up - not sure why! - but I like it now. Most people think it's spelled with a "C," but other than that there's no confusion.  It's funny, because I've heard that my name is more common in the black community - huh! I like not knowing a lot of people with the same name as me or having to specify which so-and-so you're referring to. I can't count how many Jennifers I know and are just in my immediate and extended family! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    VeraMali said:
    fiorip said:
    My name is not unique where I come from but it is an old name. My husband always jokes that I'm probably the youngest person named "Fior". All other's I've met with the same name are over 50. 

ETA I like my name, not popular or unique. 
    My husband says the same thing about me, haha! My name is Vera and besides the fashion designer I've never met another Vera under 60. But like you I love my name despite it's unpopularity & plainness!
    Funny! I know 3 Veras, all in the 27-32 age range. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    My name is Jordan and apparently it was ranked number 52 among girls names the year I was born. I grew up in a small village so the only other girl named Jordan I knew was actually in my younger sisters class. I voted that I didn't really care about the popularity of my name, although I'm sure that would be different if I grew up in a more populated area. My only gripe about my name ever was that it never rolled off the tongue well and felt really awkward to say in my younger years, I over pronunciation the "d" for a very long time because of it. 
  • Options
    I feel like my name is a fairly 'classic' name in that it can be common, but not one that's overly popular. If that makes sense. Lol. I'm an Elizabeth, but never had anyone in school share my name. There was a Beth in another grade, but she was just Beth. I go by Liz and don't run into many. I used to get annoyed by the length of my name, especially when combined with the length of my maiden name, but I've grown quite fond of it over time. It would actually be a name on a list for future children if it wasn't already mine!
  • Options
    My name is Rachel and I love it. It's common enough that everyone knows it but not so common that there were Rachel's everywhere. Occasionally over the years one or two have popped up in classes, but I've never worked with another Rachel or had other friends with my name. The only annoyance is people try to spell it the Hebrew way of Rachael or I get called Rachelle ALL the time. Like 3 people I've worked with for 5+ years still spell my name wrong in emails. Is it that hard???

I feel your pain on the misspelling, but from the other side! I have that extra A and people almost always spell it your way when sending me emails at work. I even have several awards that have been presented to me spelled incorrectly  :( At this point, I have all but given up.
  • Options
    I chose that my name was unique and I wished it was more popular. Natalie isn't particularly unique now (nor is it particularly popular) but growing up in the 80s, I only knew 1 other Natalie. I remember my main irritation as a child was that there weren't any custom things with my name - no pens, cups, key chains, etc. It used to make me so mad. I appreciate my name as an adult, though, and wouldn't want to change it.
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    faeriem said:
    My name is Maria and wasn't really popular or unique, and I never met many people my age with my name. I was named after my grandma and love that. People always assume I'm Hispanic if they haven't seen me, even though it's one of the most popular Nordic names. Whenever I travel to Sweden I meet a ton of Maria's. I've always loved my name. 
    I'm Maria too and I love my name and always have. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • Options
    yay another Maria!
  • Options
    I'm Jaclyn, but go by Jackie. I have met multiple Jackie's in my life, but they never spell their real name the same way I do. I have seen a few online, such as beauty guru Jaclyn Hill, but never in person. Two of my BF's are Ashley and Ashlie.I also have a close friend named Ashlee. I've definitely met a ton of Ashley's in my life. My other BF is Brittany and that was another really popular name for my generation (born '87). 
    prank april fools day pranks

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Not sure how popular my name was elsewhere but I was born in the early 80's - Tiffany. I've only ever met a few others over the years. None in classes with me or anything, though I did end up working with one Tiffany a few years ago.
  • Options
    I'm Leah (pronounced LEE-ah, not LAY-ah). I've always liked the uniqueness of my name. I've only met one other Leah. A girl who was in some of my elementary classes, but she was actually named Leahtrice. Just nicknamed Leah, so in all the classes we shared she was called by her full name. 
    I don't mind spelling it for people, but I think I would it if was longer. 
  • Options
    eagregg said:
    I feel like my name is a fairly 'classic' name in that it can be common, but not one that's overly popular. If that makes sense. Lol. I'm an Elizabeth, but never had anyone in school share my name. There was a Beth in another grade, but she was just Beth. I go by Liz and don't run into many. I used to get annoyed by the length of my name, especially when combined with the length of my maiden name, but I've grown quite fond of it over time. It would actually be a name on a list for future children if it wasn't already mine!
    I am also an Elizabeth. When I was younger I knew of only one other Elizabeth personally but as I've gotten older I've met several. I love that my name is classic, not uncommon, but not super popular. The only thing I have never liked that people try to shorten my name. A lot of Elizabeth's go by either Beth or Liz but I have never liked either; it's always been Elizabeth. It just really irks me to have someone call me Liz without checking to make sure it's ok first. I've become very unapologetic about correcting people over the years.

As for my LO on the way I have picked much shorter and more unique first names for each gender.