2nd Trimester

Has anyone had a wrong gender guess at their ultrasound?

ashcleyashcley member
edited March 2016 in 2nd Trimester
we went today for a quick peak at the baby 17 weeks exactly and saw the baby had a little bit of puffiness in between the legs. It didn't look like a penis to me.. And the dr didn't seem overly sure because the baby was rolling around. Then I think he got some of the ambilical cord in the picture.. I feel like I'm having a girl and we have had two other girls so I would think I'd feel differently. So I'm mentally convinced this is a girl but my husband saw that little but between the legs and is sure it's a boy.

Has anyone had a ultrasound around there and got a different answer at the anatomy scan? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Has anyone had a wrong gender guess at their ultrasound?

• TwizBeansTwizBeans member
    edited March 2016
    I would wait for the anatomy scan to be sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • a different answer than what? it sounds like your US tech wasn't sure & didnt give you an answer at all. you're just going on "how you feel". if i were you i would wait until the a/s before buying anything pink or blue. 
  • I agree with the others, wait and see what they say at your next scan. My cousin had three identical pregnancies, didn't find out the sex for any of them, and had two girls and then a boy. She swore up and down that the third was a girl because of how she felt during her pregnancy. Also, a friend I went to high school with had a early san and was told that it was most likely a girl. At her anatomy scan, she was told girl. And later in her 2nd Tri she had another scan, and again was told girl. She had a couple of baby showers, picked out a name, decorated the nursery, and gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. She didn't bother finding out the sex of her other two kids when the time came, and was Team Green for them. 
  • I know someone who was told incorrectly 12 years ago, but they were told girl and it was a boy. It's harder to make the opposite mistake and I imagine u/s are getting more accurate than they were then. One of the reasons I am team green is paranoia about a mistake. I would rather be prepared for either than risk the small chance of grieving a child that never was.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cousin's wife was told boy at her u/s but baby came out a girl!  Who knows...
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited March 2016
    You're 17 weeks.  Anatomy scan isn't until your 20 week appointment and a lot can happen in the next 3 weeks with your baby's development.
    I'm not sure how you're asking if anyone got a 'different opinion' than what the doctor offered since it doesn't sound like your technician offered an opinion on the matter in the first place?

• He tried to take pictures of what he thought were male parts but said the baby was in an awkward position. This was my actual ob who doesn't do ultrasounds frequently, just has to do them for my pregnancy
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited March 2016
    ashcley said:
    He tried to take pictures of what he thought were male parts but said the baby was in an awkward position. This was my actual ob who doesn't do ultrasounds frequently, just has to do them for my pregnancy
    In your actual 20 week anatomy scan, your technician will be looking for over 200 things regarding the baby's anatomy, birth defects, where organs and limbs are located, etc.  It was roughly a 20 minute ultrasound for us and our technician had to do some maneuvers to get baby in position to see what she needed to see.
    The "perk" is potentially being able to determine the baby's gender if he/she cooperates. 

Don't worry over what you saw/didn't see or what you "feel" the baby to be...in 3 weeks you will have a better chance at determining the gender when he/she is developed.  
  • I was mentally convinced we are having a boy from the start, but if the doctor told me he was a she... I'd believe her. We had a genetic test done, so I know he is a he, and my "intuition" was right.. Hey 50/50 shot right?

I will say the US tech told me sometimes "girl" guesses based on US turn into boys, but rarely do boys turn into girls. Also, my doctor mentioned we wouldn't know for sure regarding visual confirmation (if we hadn't done the test) until at least 20 weeks. She scheduled mine at 19.5 since we didn't need to find out, but if we didn't know, would have put it off another two weeks.

• All four of my pregnancies I thought I was having a boy.  I was right once.
  • My L&D nurse when I was delivering my daughter told me just the week before a woman who was told she was having a girl delivered a boy. She had her anatomy scan and a 3D as well. until the baby comes out you won't know for sure. 
  • I was convinced this one was a boy and was shocked it was a girl, but again, science.