Breastfeeding

Returning to breastfeeding

Due to a series of errors when my little man was born I have been exclusively pumping and bottlefeeding. My son is 15 weeks old and we have tried breastfeeding occasionally with varying degrees of success. To top it off I have flat nipples and use a nipple shield. I hate pumping all the time and am curious if anyone has bottle fed then returned to breastfeeding or if I'm wasting my time trying. I'd also appreciate any tips and suggestions... thanks in advance

Re: Returning to breastfeeding

• Hi- I don't have any advice, but I'm also exclusively pumping. I'm also supplementing with formula, which is getting more and more since my second bout with mastitis. I'm about to just give up and formula feed. My little guy is 1 month old.
  • It took my son 8 weeks to latch on.  I found that trying to get him to latch after pumping was most successful because my nipples were pulled out.  Mine flatten when not in use, lol.  He now has no problem latching on to it flat and pulling it out.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Loading the player...
  • I exclusively pumped for five weeks because DD was too small and too weak to properly latch or transfer milk. I had quit trying to breastfeed because it was just not happening. I randomly attempted it around five weeks because she was inconsolable but wouldn't take a bottle or pacifier. It worked and by seven weeks I stopped pumping other than to build a freezer stash. DD is 13 weeks and we're finally doing consistently well with breastfeeding. 
  • I am doing this too! My LO had a rough start with Jaundice and was too lethargic to work on the breast. I have been pumping and feeding her breastmilk bottles and supplementing at night with formula because my pumping supply hasn't been enough to keep up with her demand. 

She will be 6 weeks tomorrow and we're giving it another go. Today she has mostly been on the breast.

Of course now I worry about her getting enough. She's every 2-3 hrs. And still has wet diapers. I should stop worrying. It's only been one day. And I guess she would be crying all the time if she was hungry. Ok, I'll stop now. 

Thanks for starting this topic. 
  • I am doing this too! My LO had a rough start with Jaundice and was too lethargic to work on the breast. I have been pumping and feeding her breastmilk bottles and supplementing at night with formula because my pumping supply hasn't been enough to keep up with her demand. 

She will be 6 weeks tomorrow and we're giving it another go. Today she has mostly been on the breast.

Of course now I worry about her getting enough. She's every 2-3 hrs. And still has wet diapers. I should stop worrying. It's only been one day. And I guess she would be crying all the time if she was hungry. Ok, I'll stop now. 

Thanks for starting this topic. 
    DD is 16 weeks and still eats every 1-2 hours during the day. 
  • @taysun I read that it only takes 90 minutes for breastmilk to break down and be digested, so it is normal for breastfed babies to eat every 1 to 3 hours. That has been DD today. I'm pretty excited we are both getting the hang of it!!!
  • @taysun I read that it only takes 90 minutes for breastmilk to break down and be digested, so it is normal for breastfed babies to eat every 1 to 3 hours. That has been DD today. I'm pretty excited we are both getting the hang of it!!!
    I think it's also super normal for us to worry about them getting enough when we've gone from always knowing how many ounces they drink to breastfeeding. I am always worried she's hungry but have finally (17 weeks tomorrow) calmed down and I don't immediately try to feed her when she fusses anymore. It gets easier after making the switch!
  • My baby is 7 weeks old and almost 1 week bottle free after exclusively pumping due to severe nipple trauma. I started with letting lo latch right after I pumped do that my nipples were drawn out. I also gave the baby a bottle before I pumped so she wasn't crazy hungry. Then I asked a friend to come over and help me with latching because I wasn't very confident. For the first few days I had to use the nipple flip technique to help get my nipple far enough in her mouth. I also did laid back nursing to help get things going. Still have to  relatch off and on, but it much better now than what it was when she was 1wk old! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Way to go @jenniferw91

I have to tell you ladies the truth. I still bottle feed through the night...with formula. I just need to get my sleep and it's faster. Soon enough the night time feedings will end, so so will the formula feeding. 
  • Update: I have started to breastfeed at night!!! It's been 48 hours with NO formula. Nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous that she isn't getting enough...she didn't eat a lot yesterday so I did give her some pumped breastmilk via a bottle, but no formula. 
  • Update: I have started to breastfeed at night!!! It's been 48 hours with NO formula. Nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous that she isn't getting enough...she didn't eat a lot yesterday so I did give her some pumped breastmilk via a bottle, but no formula. 
    Awesome! Honestly, don't stress about the formula. DD gets formula for a few bottles on the weekends sometimes because I work and don't always end up pumping enough due to time constraints. Baby getting fed is what's important!
  • @taysun Yea, I have had to give some formula since posting that. My supply just does not meet her demand. I think my supply doesn't replenish quick enough. Oh well. You're right. As long as she's fed and happy, that's all that matters. 
  • @BrittaniLC .... make sure u eat and drink enough.... at least 8 ounces every time u nurse or pump.... 
    You are doing great!  You have come so far .... don't give up
  • I don't check this near enough! @MamaRoni I am still breastfeeding! I nurse her anytime I can. It's usually the evenings when I am working that she gets formula now. We are happy with the choice to do it that way. I don't pump nearly enough to meet her demand, but I know when she is on the breast she is getting plenty! I only have a small freezer stash and so she gets that when I work all day every other weekend. I then pump at work too. I only get maybe 4-8 oz at work, but it's better than nothing! I really appreciate the support :smile: