Cloth Diapering
Options

Can anyone weigh in on my newborn stash?

EasterEggsEasterEggs member
edited February 2016 in Cloth Diapering
Hello! I'm a first-time mom and am planning to cloth diaper from day one. I've been reading and reading about how to put together a newborn stash, and this is what I've come up with for myself:

12 newborn all-in-ones

3 newborn bamboo prefolds

6 newborn cotton prefolds

4 newborn covers

I also have 6 size one (one up from newborn) cotton prefolds along with 6 size one Thirsties Duo wraps. Does this sound like enough for the newborn weeks?

Thank you so much for any input!

ETA: I also have 3 fitted diapers! And for brands I either have or am looking at Totsbots for all-in-ones, and Thirsties and Rumparooz for covers.

Re: Can anyone weigh in on my newborn stash?

• Options
    About 36 changes is the recommended amount to wash every other day.  I had 18-24 prefolds and washed daily when Pip was a nb.  I often wished I didn't have to wash daily when he was young.  Later, around 4-6 months, 18-24 changes is enough for every other day.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    About 36 changes is the recommended amount to wash every other day.  I had 18-24 prefolds and washed daily when Pip was a nb.  I often wished I didn't have to wash daily when he was young.  Later, around 4-6 months, 18-24 changes is enough for every other day.
    Thank you so much for your response! I'll look into getting more then. I'm thinking of doing 6 more prefolds and maybe 6 more all-in-ones. Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with the Kawaii Pure and Natural? Do they fit newborn babies?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm waiting on a shipment of kawaii pure and naturals (although baby won't be here till May). I'll let you know what I think of them (at least the look and feel of them!). I ADORE Kawaii Goodnight Heavy Wetters, having used them for almost 3 yrs with my daughter, so I hope these are just as good.
    My nb stash has 18 Charlie Banana nb pockets and 10 kawaii pure and natural. I'm thinking that should be enough to get by the first couple months.
    Your stash sounds a little low to me, maybe add some more prefolds? I know all in ones have a bit longer drying time, so don't forget to take that into account. 
  • Options
    I never used the pure and naturals myself but many of the other regulars loved them.  If you search for the group I'm a fan of, you should be able to locate them and get their input.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    @PipSqueak0313   Thanks, I found them and am going to join. Tons of great info on there!
  • Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited March 2016
    For what it's worth, I skipped the newborn stuff and went straight to the one-size-fits-all stuff. 

I used OsoCozy prefolds and was able to reuse the diaper covers. Rumparooz can be wiped down. I used some no name cheapy pack from Amazon as my diaper covers. 

Now that Tater Tot is 6mo old, I use only pocket diapers. I still wash once a day, but it's such a small load and basically no folding. 
  • Options
    With DD1 I had 4 fitteds, 8 aios, and 6 prefolds of each (preemie, infant) and 4 different covers. I washed daily and it was fine. 2 brands of one size fit by week 2, then I washed every other.

This LO I had 9 AIO, 9 fitted, and 12 of each prefold size (preemie, infant), and 6 rumparooz nb covers (those rock-my hands down fave). I easily washed every other, and could air dry the fitteds and AIOs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EasterEggsEasterEggs member
    edited March 2016
    With DD1 I had 4 fitteds, 8 aios, and 6 prefolds of each (preemie, infant) and 4 different covers. I washed daily and it was fine. 2 brands of one size fit by week 2, then I washed every other.

This LO I had 9 AIO, 9 fitted, and 12 of each prefold size (preemie, infant), and 6 rumparooz nb covers (those rock-my hands down fave). I easily washed every other, and could air dry the fitteds and AIOs. 
    Thanks for the input! How long did the Rumparooz covers fit your newborn? Also, did you find that they fit over the infant size prefolds, or just the newborn size?
  • Options
    They fit from birth under the cord, and fit over a regular flat at 4 months old. There's a 3 stage snap down part to adjust the rise, making them the most versatile newborn cover I found-I recommend them to everyone! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used thirstiest size extra small covers for my newborn and they fit well when she was 5 days old.  She is almost 12 lbs now, and they still fit.  I go through about 8-10 prefolds per day (she sleeps through the night).  If she wakes up more than that,I'd probably go through at least 12-14.