February 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding issues

I search for similar topics with no luck. Are there any other mothers out there that are currently using, or have used a nipple shield to help with latching issues? Those that have used them in the past, were you able to wean LO and go natural?

Re: Breastfeeding issues

• I used one with my first. I weaned her off cold turkey. One side was easier for her than the other and it took me probably another week before I was able to wean her off the other side. It sure made NIP much easier since I didn't have to worry about toting around the shield and cleaning it with every feeding!
  • Try to get to a lactation consultant first to help with latching before trying a shield. My DD used one for 3 weeks due to her small size and latching issues (late term preemie) and it was the most stressful 3wks. Many tears were shed. I'd get it just right and she'd bump/kick it off, I forgot it while out of the house twice and had no way to feed my screaming baby, had to pump after every feed, because a baby latched with a shield doesn't stimulate milk production the same way and I needed to keep my supply up, etc.  It took a lot of effort to wean her off, but we did it and she nursed for 22 months. 

So yeah, my recommendation is to get professional help first. I know some people have great experiences, but mine was awful (necessary, but absolutely awful). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I used a nipple shield with DD because she could not maintain a latch because I had relatively flat nipples.  I used the nipple shield for 3 months (I probably could have stopped sooner, but it became routine).  One night she knocked the shield off without me noticing and she latched directly on w/o the shield and did a full feeding.  I never used a shield again with her.  I BF for 15+ months (well into my first trimester of this pregnancy). I started using the shield and then met with a LC.  She showed me how to properly use it and she encouraged me to continue to try to get her to latch w/o one.  But if that's what you need to use to continue BFing, do it.  I don't regret using one at all.  
  • There's a breastfeeding board, too, where you may find a post like this or get a higher volume of replies. 

• I used a nipple shield with my first child. But no I was not able to bf him without it but only because he had a high palet. But I think in other cases there shouldn't be a problem and you should definitely try without it. 
  • We are using one now (baby is 3 weeks old) and it has really helped with BFing. The LC in the hospital provided one because of my relatively flat nipples and it helped the baby latch better. We are still using the shield and I have no plans to stop at the moment as the baby is gaining weight and my supply has been fine. I will try at some point to see if we can go without it, but for the time being it works for us!
  • Used one with my first and I hated it! He needed it though and I regularly tried to latch him without it after a few weeks.  He eventually figured it out and I could ditch the shield all together.  Buy a backup ! I lost that sucker in my comforter and almost threw it away like 100 times. 
  • My ped recommended one after LO stopped latching around 4 days old. It helped for a day or two until we both got frustrated and I saw a LC. She thought my baby might have a posterior tongue tie preventing her from latching well, but couldn't give an official diagnosis. She referred us to an ENT doctor who specializes in tongue ties. Might want to have your LC check out your baby's mouth for possible tie issues. 

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• Anyone else dealing with engorgement issues? I thought on Tuesday my boobs had started to figure it out but as of yesterday evening they are back to being giant painful rocks.  Poor baby keeps choking and spitting up - I think he's getting too much, too fast.  At the same time my crazy mind is also worried about building up and maintaining my supply... 
  • Anyone else dealing with engorgement issues? I thought on Tuesday my boobs had started to figure it out but as of yesterday evening they are back to being giant painful rocks.  Poor baby keeps choking and spitting up - I think he's getting too much, too fast.  At the same time my crazy mind is also worried about building up and maintaining my supply... 
    Not the engorgement but the spitting up. I have to burp her in between sides or she'll spit everything back up. There have been a couple times she's spit up in her sleep and it's terrifying to think she could have choked 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited February 2016
    @charliegoldengirl I don't know if you are, but don't pump right now! To help with the sputtering/gagging, you can pull LO off as soon as you feel letdown and let it flow into a rag until the spraying stops, then re-latch LO. If you're getting painfully engorged and/or are too engorged for LO to latch, just hand express some off until it feels a little softer and less painful. The major engorgement doesn't last long, but man it sucks when it's there!

• I used one with my first. He didn't seem to mind. I only used it while my nipples were raw and then stopped. He also had a shallow, crappy latch. I didn't use it this time though. I figured out how to make sure she has a deeper latch and she does great. I did use the nipple cream stuff to help tolerate the raw nipples both times. I used the medela lanolin stuff with my son, then read the lanolin isn't really good and has pesticides in it. So this time I made sure to get the boob-ease organic, lanolin free kind.
  • edited February 2016
    I started with a shield because one of my nipples was inverted. And then she started getting frustrated with latching without the shield. So I got help from a lactation consultant and she helped me understand what was frustrating her. We have not used the shield since seeking help. 
  • VitaLuna said:
    @charliegoldengirl I don't know if you are, but don't pump right now! To help with the sputtering/gagging, you can pull LO off as soon as you feel letdown and let it flow into a rag until the spraying stops, then re-latch LO. If you're getting painfully engorged and/or are too engorged for LO to latch, just hand express some off until it feels a little softer and less painful. The major engorgement doesn't last long, but man it sucks when it's there!
    I'll try the pop off during let down!  I did pull him off every minute or so to burp this last time and that seemed to help a little bit, but it made our nursing session three times as long and then he fell asleep before switching sides and I didn't want to wake him up and overfill his belly.  I have held off on the pump but I'm day dreaming of pumping until empty ... Sweet relief! 
  • I used one with both if my kids. Don't remember how long with my first, and with the is one, we were able to go without it after a week. They definitely help, but like pp, they are easy to misplace. They are meant to help, so don't shy away from it if you need it. Yes it can be a pain, but it's alot easier than fighting with latching.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was given nipple shield on our second night in hospital bc baby wasnt latching. Turns our he wasnt getting milk through it - apparently that is not common. At our ped appt the day after we were discharged he was down a  pound. Ped had me supplementing with pumped breast milk. We've seen lactation twice and we're still really struggling with latching. We're mostly pumping and bottle feeding right now. He'll be two weeks tomorrow.  It's been pretty frustrating.
  • I've used a shield with both my kids because I have flat nipples. The LC gave it to me both times. With DD I could never get her to latch without it. (And I kept trying until she had teeth and almost bit my nipple off, soo painful and bloody)With DS I've gotten him to latch a few times on my left side but I feel like he doesn't drain it as well, doesn't stay on as long, and I got a plugged duck from it 
  • I am using one now. I never had to with DS but the combination of DD having a stronger than normal suck (according to LC) and engorgement has made it so my nipples are so damaged that I was seeing blood in her spit up. So I am using a shield until I'm healed enough and the enforcement part is over to start again without it.

• Anyone had experience with a baby rooting and screaming while they are at your boob? My son is 5 days old and for the past 4 days has been latching well and having no problems. Last night though, he started to scream and root while he was on my boob, and did it again this morning. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do. :(
  • willkc said:
    Anyone had experience with a baby rooting and screaming while they are at your boob? My son is 5 days old and for the past 4 days has been latching well and having no problems. Last night though, he started to scream and root while he was on my boob, and did it again this morning. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do. :(
    I've had my LO eating, come off my boob, and start screaming. Then I basically have to quickly shove it back in her mouth. Sometimes it's because she has to burp but other times I think she literally forgets that she's still hungry and will only remember after she stopped eating 
  • Yes it happens to me all the time - most of the time he needs to burp/fart. But sometimes I can't figure it out amad he roots around on my nipple and arches his back if i try to push his shoulders in to get him to latch 
  • Anyone have advice on how to lay down and nurse with baby? I successfully did it the first night. However every night since I'll try with LO and it sounds like she is guzzling and choking the whole time. My guess is now my milk is in and she's getting too much too fast. It would be so much easier if I could rest during those in the middle of the night feedings instead of getting up and going to sit in chair. Any tips? 
  • Karen249 said:
    Anyone have advice on how to lay down and nurse with baby? I successfully did it the first night. However every night since I'll try with LO and it sounds like she is guzzling and choking the whole time. My guess is now my milk is in and she's getting too much too fast. It would be so much easier if I could rest during those in the middle of the night feedings instead of getting up and going to sit in chair. Any tips? 
    No tips for side lying for feeding but my LO seems to get too much milk too fast and will spit up what seems like everything she just ate. I try and keep her as upright as possible for feedings, burp her between sides and before putting her back down, and keep her as upright as possible before putting her down. It seems to help. Sorry if that's not what you were looking for but maybe it'll reduce the number of feedings or make them quicker for you
  • Karen249 said:
    Anyone have advice on how to lay down and nurse with baby? I successfully did it the first night. However every night since I'll try with LO and it sounds like she is guzzling and choking the whole time. My guess is now my milk is in and she's getting too much too fast. It would be so much easier if I could rest during those in the middle of the night feedings instead of getting up and going to sit in chair. Any tips? 
    Instead of side lying can you try the laid back position? It helps with the choking and gulping for me.  I use a bunch of pillows to prop up in a semi reclined/sitting position and the baby lays diagonally (so he is kind of upright) . He is too long to lay straight down from my breast but you could try that if your lo is shorter. 
  • @ashton2190 and @charliegoldengirl ... Thanks for the tips. I'll try tonight. Hope she'll nurse upright without the choking and I can get some rest. 
  • willkc said:
    Anyone had experience with a baby rooting and screaming while they are at your boob? My son is 5 days old and for the past 4 days has been latching well and having no problems. Last night though, he started to scream and root while he was on my boob, and did it again this morning. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do. :

My LO started doing this after my milk came in. I think she just wasn't patient enough to keep sucking until letdown occurred, or else she just didn't like the shape of my boob. Sometimes I would be holding it right in her mouth and she would just shake her head back and forth and scream! Some things that helped: breast compressions to get the milk flowing, switching boobs, trying different positions like a football hold or side-lying. It certainly was frustrating! But it got better (knock on wood) and hopefully it will for you too. How's it going by now?
  • I have solved my latch issues for the most part, but now all my LO wants to do is comfort nurse. I will nurse him for an hour, and he will continually want to nurse just to put himself to sleep. He liked a pacifier for a bit, but now he hates it. Anyone have any tips on how to break that? Or will he break the habit on his own eventually?
  • Congestion help?

My little one has pretty much had a wheezy right nostril since day one, which never caused any harm and our pediatrician attributed to some nursing congestion. Saturday and Monday however, she couldn't work through it. She would latch, and when let down began have to release to breathe and those days are so so hard. Yesterday we sat in the bathroom, and let the hot shower steam. We use a nasal bulb, saline drops, nosefrida, humidifier, just to loosen stuff up. She isn't running a fever, just distraught. I supplement with bottled breastmilk to get more to her stomach if it's been a long time of trying to successfully nurse. Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice on a better way to nurse to avoid breastfeeding congestion?