May 2016 Moms

EXTREME round ligament pain

im 31 weeks and have been to the hospital twice in 5 days to make sure baby is fine (which he is). But I've been having EXTREME round ligament pain on my right side for 5 days. I can barely walk or stand. I've taken warm baths, showers, Tylenol, stretching, different mattress, and it's not ANY BETTER. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: EXTREME round ligament pain

• I wish I could offer advice but I don't have any other than everything you've mentioned plus make sure your drinking enough water and maybe try a heating pad on low heat? That used to help me when my pains were bad. Are you still working or can you rest and take it easy for a few days? Try staying off your feet. Hope you feel better!
  • Someone suggested some sort of belly support band for bad BH to me, have you tried that?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have tried heating pad & bought 2 belly bands. Nothing seems to work.
  • From what I know, there isn't anything that can help RLP. If baby is hanging out on that side, that may be what is triggering it to such an extreme since you belly may be trying to stretch out too much on one side. 

I know it isn't exactly the same, I had horrible hip pain for two weeks straight (like hurt so bad I was crying by bedtime) that I think was caused by baby position. She was hugging my right side which hurt the most. I kept trying to gently push her to a more central position and she finally moved a couple of days ago and it's been so much better since. 

I hope things start getting better for you soon. 
  • I don't know if this will help, but I've had awful pelvic pain and the thing that has helped me the most is getting one of those big, inflatable exercise balls and sitting on it 100% of the time I need to sit (minus things like the car). You'll look like a huge idiot at work but oh well. I've also had some luck using guided relaxation to really relax and melt away the tension. 

Are there certain times you can identify when the pain gets worse and when it gets better? I kept a pain journal, which is how I found out sitting on a chair for more than a couple minutes triggered my pain. 
  • My yoga teacher is also a doula and one of the girls in my class was having a similar RLP issue. The teacher took a scarf and wrapped it around the girl's bump in some magical way (with the help of two other students in the class) to add support and put pressure on he right spots and the girl felt so much better she was actually able to participate in class. 

Do you have a doula? Can you access one for a five minute session? I wish I knew what my teacher did--it looked very complicated, though.
  • The scarf thing @dshannah mentioned may have been a rebozo sift; it releases the round ligaments if they're caught or in tetany. Spinning babies has a tutorial here: https://spinningbabies.com/start/in-pregnancy/weekly-activities/
  • kbrands7 said:
    The scarf thing @dshannah mentioned may have been a rebozo sift; it releases the round ligaments if they're caught or in tetany. Spinning babies has a tutorial here: https://spinningbabies.com/start/in-pregnancy/weekly-activities/
    Yes!! They did the standing version! Thanks so much--I am so glad I know this now. 
  • Thanks everyone! I've went to the chiropractor and it seems it might be a problem with my appendix. In the ER now getting it checked. Will for sure try some of your suggestions if nothing changes!! 
  • I am actually seeing my OB about this tomorroW. The muscles in my lower abdomin, back, and inner thighs are so sore it has been impossible for me to walk for more than a few minutes at a time over the last few days. I feel a little better knowing that it's a "pregnancy thing" though and not necessarily a sign of labor. I'm anxious to hear what doc says about it.
  • If it's related to baby's position you might try pelvic rocks to get LO to shift spots in there. 
  • I am waiting on surgeon now, my white blood count is evaluated so my appendix is prob coming out
  • Im glad to hear you figured out what was going on but sorry it's most likely going to end up in surgery!! Good luck and hope you have a fast recovery!
  • Thinking about you and hoping all is well! Keep us updated as you can. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @addiebrianna t&p for a safe surgery and recovery!
  • Results came back from MRI I have a cyst on my ovaries and a UTI which has been making the pain so intense. Thanks for thinking of me everyone! Maybe the antibiotics will help!! 
  • Results came back from MRI I have a cyst on my ovaries and a UTI which has been making the pain so intense. Thanks for thinking of me everyone! Maybe the antibiotics will help!! 
    So glad you don't need surgery!  (do you?) But also that you have a mostly benign answer!
  • So glad it's something antibiotics can tackle!
  • Very happy to know the problem. Can't prescribe anything for cyst since I'm pregnant but hoping antibiotic for UTI will help out!! 
  • Hope you are in less pain soon!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I've had a couple of ovarian cysts over the years, they can be quite painful!!! Hopefully it was just feeling worse because of the UTI and extra inflammation and will be better w/antibiotics!!!! I'm so glad you know what it is now!!