October 2015 Moms
Options

Clogged milk ducts

So LO is now just over 4 months old and the first month of breastfeeding went fine. Then came month two and since then, I've now had about 8 clogged milk ducts. Some have been more painful then others, and I've even been brought to trears with a few of them. To the point where I've contemplated stopping breastfeeding all together. 

Anyone have any tips on how to prevent these? I try to go bra-less as much as possible thinking that may cause it, but even that doesn't do the trick. 

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Clogged milk ducts

• Options
    Try massaging and taking hot showers 
  • Options
    Massage while baby is feeding, or pumping. Avoid sleeping on your stomach, tight bras, and clothing. Hot showers also help me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to me last night and it was so incredibly painful! So many hard lumps in my left breast. I took acetaminophen after the hot shower and massage didn't work. When LO woke up at 2AM to feed, I positioned him so that his chin was pointed toward the most painful part of my breast (this required me to pose in a compromising position above him) but it worked! My lil suckerfish cleared the clog! Next feed, I aimed his chin at the other lumpy side of my breast. Good luck!
  • Options
    Definitely point LOs chin toward the clog when feeding. Also, in the hot shower let the water hit your back, not the front.  If you have a vibrating toothbrush (or something else) you can use that to massage the clog area while pumping. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!