May 2016 Moms

would you fly at 34 weeks?

short 2.5 hour flight, with a 4 year old, healthy pregnancy so far & doc is ok with it.... It's not really the actual flying I'm worried about, it's the chance of going into labor in another state without my husband or doctor there!  

Would you "risk" it? Anyone have experience flying so late in their preg?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: would you fly at 34 weeks?

• Personally I wouldn't do it bc I'm paranoid about traveling as I get further along and I really don't like flying to begin with, but as long as it's OK with your doctor I don't see why it would be a problem.
  • I agree with PP in that I wouldn't do it. I'm uncomfortable enough as it is at 31 weeks, I can't even imagine travelling 3 weeks from now!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would check the airlines requirements. Some airlines don't allow flying after a certain amount of weeks. Also, another deciding factor is how long are you going to be gone, and how many weeks will you be when you fly back?
  • The flying itself doesn't seem to be a big deal, but how long will you actually be out of town? That's what would concern me.

I (stupidly and impulsively) bought tickets for a concert out of state that's happening when I'm almost 37 weeks.. I've decided to just take the loss and not go, because it would mean being out of town for a couple days and the thought of that was really making me nervous!
  • Maybe. I would be most worried about the weight of luggage, wrangling a kiddo, and all the walking through the airport. The actual flight and being away at that point wouldn't bother me, personally. Wear compression stalkings, check your bags, and arrive plenty early so you can take your time. Otherwise, I say have fun!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• If, say, I lived far away from my parents/family and I was flying to see them, I might consider it knowing IF it would happen, I would at least have some support/care for my older child. If not, I wouldn't do it myself.

Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • It is to see my parents, and my sister before she deploys for a couple months. I will be gone less than a week.  I'm pretty active, so the walking doesn't concern me, nor the toddler wrangling... he's a really good traveler, since we do it a lot together to!  I would definitely pack light and check bags (since it's free). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Will you regret not going? If so, then go for it. 34 weeks is still early. IMO. Plus you'll have your parents for support if something should happen.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I probably would in that situation.
  • For work - no
    With my husband for family - yes

They cut me off from air travel at 32 weeks actually
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I say go for it.... given the additional information and that you'll be with family and you've had a healthy pregnancy thus far if you feel comfortable with it then do it up! but maybe no more traveling after that :smile: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • baby+vega said:
    It is to see my parents, and my sister before she deploys for a couple months. I will be gone less than a week.  I'm pretty active, so the walking doesn't concern me, nor the toddler wrangling... he's a really good traveler, since we do it a lot together to!  I would definitely pack light and check bags (since it's free). 
    Honestly, I probably would if I had my doctor's blessing and the security of knowing family was there to help in the unlikely event I did go into labor.  But don't some airlines have rules about traveling after a certain number of weeks?  
  • I personally would not fly at 32weeks, but it sounds like you've put some thought into it.  Was your first a quick delivery?  Is there a good hospital near to your parents? 
    It sounds like a great reason to go - hope you make the right decision for you!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I flew at 32 weeks with my first pregnancy. It was also a direct 2.5 hour flight that my doc said okay to. He did say to get up and walk the airplane aisle every 30 minutes for circulation which I did. It still didn't help with the swelling in my feet and ankles that never went down the week I was gone. Just something to keep in mind! 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• I'm doing it! Not with a 4yo, but I am flying for work in week 34. I'll be in a location with lots of good hospitals and family within driving distance, so if I give birth out there I won't be endangering myself or my baby, and that sounds like it's the same for you. 
  • I'd go! I flew cross country at 33 weeks for my sisters wedding with a toddler. My OB wrote me a note for the airline, and she found close medical/hospitals for me so I had the addresses and numbers just in case I needed them. It was great and had no issues!
  • I would not, but I'm having twins which completely changes the equation. 34 weeks is practically full term for twins. 

My doctors told me to pretty much make zero plans to travel anywhere after April 1.