May 2016 Moms

Big sister gift ideas

I wanted to give my daughter a gift from her baby sister once baby is born. Has anyone done this before or is doing this? And if so, do you have any ideas what I can give the new big sister?

Re: Big sister gift ideas

• Loading the player...
  • How old is your daughter? My daughter is 8 and I plan on giving her a big sister gift. She's been wanting this big stuffed animal from Justice. (Like she needs another stuffed animal, but I might get it). My daughter is old enough to understand the change, but since she's been an only child for almost 8.5 years it will be a huge adjustment. Just with getting things for the nursery, DD has shown a little jealousy. I had to show her how I prepped her nursery and did all the same things that I'm doing for DD#2. 
  • We're doing a big brother gift from the baby-- similar to what @TXmamatobe mentioned, with his own bag for fun things and helpful things. He's also getting a Woody doll stuff animal and a new book. He picked out a small gift to give to the baby from him the other day too that he'll get to wrap and give to the baby when they meet each other.
  • When ds was born we got her a set of 6 disney fairies.  When dd was born we got her a kitty surprise.  Kitty surprise is where the mommy kitty is pregnant with kittens.  She was pretty happy about it and her kitty had three kittens, two girls and a boy.
  • I got a Princess Sofia Easter basket for my then 4 yr old when DD2 was born. I also had DD1 pick out something to give to DD2 for when she came home. I plan on doing gifts again this time 
  • I'm planning on getting my girls "realistic looking" baby dolls. And have them take care of them when I need to take care of the baby. 
  • How old is your daughter? My daughter is 8 and I plan on giving her a big sister gift. She's been wanting this big stuffed animal from Justice. (Like she needs another stuffed animal, but I might get it). My daughter is old enough to understand the change, but since she's been an only child for almost 8.5 years it will be a huge adjustment. Just with getting things for the nursery, DD has shown a little jealousy. I had to show her how I prepped her nursery and did all the same things that I'm doing for DD#2. 
    She is 3.5 years old. She seems excited about it now, and hope it won't change when the time comes! These are all great ideas!! Thanks eveyone!
  • my 2.5 year old is demanding we paint the nursery walls black so I think we need to do something to warm her up to this baby, lol. . .

We have not bought her a baby and all the corresponding toys yet, I have been holding off until a new baby would warrant such a gift, but it looks like I better get shopping! Prepare yourself redcard, we have work to do!

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • My son is 10 but I have been thinking about putting together a big brother gift bag. Maybe some ear plugs, a book or two to read the baby, and I'm blanking on anything else. He would like a big brother shirt and I saw some cute ones on etsy in his size. I need to spend some more time thinking about what would be useful.   This will be a big adjustment for my son too. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• edited March 2016
    My mom gave us baby dolls for the occasion. 

My LO really isn't all that into stuffies or dolls so I asked LO (toddler)what would be a good present from the baby. 
    LO told me and I bought it to be given when the baby is here "from the baby". 

My toddler is super verbal and an early talker and already was asking questions "how does baby get what I want, how does the baby get out and go to the store to get it, is there room for toys in there, etc." 
    For the record same toddler also straight up asked if Santa was real and didn't buy the answer too much.

So LO will probably know the gift is from us but maybe some of the happiness of the gift that was really wanted will transfer to the baby. 

• edited March 2016
    When my niece was born, I made a big sister bag for my other niece. I included in it a book, some snacks, a couple of drinks, a "big sister" shirt, and some other little goodies - I believe a coloring book and crayons. She was 9 at the time. It was hard to find a big sister book at her reading level, so I had to compromise. She LOVED it. She wore that big sister shirt a week straight, washing it at night. I gave her the bag at the baby shower, so she'd have it while she was at her grandparents waiting for her sister to be born.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • I'm so grateful for this thread!  I would have never thought to do this for DD otherwise.
  • DS turns 2 on Sunday and I'm due May 4, so we are getting him some new trains and a build able track set. I was saving it for his birthday but I think he might need the more exciting toy to keep him busy and content once there's a baby here. We've been reading books about becoming a big brother and talking about the baby, but I doubt he really understands his world is about to be turned upside down. 
  • During my time as a nanny the family I worked for welcomed a baby girl. I can't remember what present their DS received (he was only 1.5) but the 3 year old DD was given a baby doll of her own and a diaper bag to go with it. She named the doll after me which touched my heart. It really helped her adjust and she would often mimic what her mommy or I was doing with her baby sister with her doll. If her sister was having a bottle, so did her doll and of course they napped at the same time. It also helped to get her to give her sister space without any struggle because we could redirect her energy toward the doll. "I don't need help changing Daniella's diaper right now, but I think baby Sammy might need a change too. Why don't you check?" 
  • NB817NB817 member
    DD has been wanting a necklace of her own so I think we might get her one. Nothing fancy but she's 3.5 and loves to wear my necklaces and always asks for one of her own. 
    We also have a mood ring that has her name on it that someone gave her as a newborn (don't ask me why someone would give a newborn a mood ring?) so since it's never come out of the package and I found it the other day we will probably give her that too. 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• DS wants a "Big Brother" badge like the one Daniel Tiger receives before his sister is born.  I'm also planning to buy some small (stocking stuffer type) things like his favorite snacks and a small toy to be "from the baby".  DS already picked out a present for his baby sister - Mickey Mouse pacifiers that say "#handsome"! - and I know he will be thrilled to give them to her when he visits at the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker