Pregnant after 35

Weight gain- struggling with feelings about

bgf1bgf1 member
edited February 2016 in Pregnant after 35
This will be my third child, with my other two I gained 25 lbs each, and always felt pregnant not heavy, or out of shape.  This time around I am struggling with negative emotions around weight gain.  It just seems as though I've gained a lot in a two week time frame.  At my 17 week appointment I was discouraged to learn I've gained 12 lbs already.  This is 1/2 of what I expected to gain and there are 23 weeks to go.

I didn't have these feelings on the other pregnancies regarding weight gain.  I felt I was all baby and this time I just feel like I am big.  I've had a lot of food aversions this time and have been existing on a lot of carbs, whereas I normally don't enjoy carb rich foods.

I've been thinking that a lot of my struggle is that part of how I identify myself is as a very fit person, and thinking of myself in another way makes be feel well old.  I have had way more thoughts this time around about being an old mom, and I think my feelings around weight gain this time are tied to worries that I won't be able to retain my previous fitness level after the baby is born, and that these changes will somehow be tied to other changes that will lead me physically and mentally  less able to keep up with this babe as with my other two.
I don't know if I've done a great job expressing myself but just wondering if any other Mamas feel the same or have successfully worked their way out of a negative place surrounding body image while pregnant?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Weight gain- struggling with feelings about

• Loading the player...
  • You have gotten some great advice already, so not really sure what I can add except to say you are not alone.

I'm pretty sure I've been at some stage of dissatisfaction with my body until I got to my 30s. I can't believe I was so hard on myself in my 20s - I look at photos now and realize not only was I fit and strong, but I can't even see the pudge I remember always feeling self conscious about! In my 30s I just decided I was too old for the BS and I needed to accept myself. Going into this first pregnancy at 35, I told myself that I would have no control on what my body would ultimately do, with the exception of eating well and being active. Crazy stretch-marks, all bump or lumpy all over, pregnancy face or chunky arms....none of that was under my control. So I chose to surrender my body to making an awesome and healthy human being and I could figure the rest out later. I can still work out, lift weights, overhaul my diet all after this baby is here. Nothing is permanent (except maybe the stretch marks but small price to pay, I think) and I can be fit again.

I think you will feel better soon. Just because you gained 12 at this point doesn't necessarily mean you're on a faster track to more weight gain. It could just be what your body needs right now. Also you are in the middle part of the pregnancy as someone mentioned, where you might not be obviously pregnant but feel pudge all over and it is getting to you a bit more this time around. The carbs also might be adding to feeling bloated, especially since you mentioned you don't usually eat a lot of them. Take it one day at a time and try to keep it healthy, but enjoy it and enjoy your treats too. 

I agree that from your bump pic, you look great, mamma! I hope you FEEL great soon too :)

• Thanks so much for the compassionate and thoughtful replies a great reminder of why I love this group so much.  It is so helpful to here of how others have worked through some body image concerns whether they arise during pregnancy or not.  I have always thought I'd myself as having a positive body image and so this blindsided me a bit as I didn't feel this way in my other pregnancies.

@createillumination I will definitely check out the resource you mentioned and try the mirror exercise.

As the Mama of a three year old girl I hope she will always feel ad beautiful 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm late too.  I've been reading the responses and debated responding, but I get it too!  I've also been overweight my whole adult life and lost a bunch of weight with Lap Band surgery.  I'm definitely up from THAT low weight.  I lost about 40 pounds to qualify for IVF and felt amazing.  I did it via a low carb diet.  Well, I got pregnant and the only thing that tasted good for weeks were carbs.  You can imagine how my weight has increased.  WOW!  I gained 12 pounds when pregnant with my daughter (total) and I've almost gained that already with this pregnancy.  I'm determined not to be the pregnant lady that worries about weight, but it's SO HARD!!  

Anyway, just know I'm thinking of you and I understand.  I hope it gets easier for you!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Tons of good advice and just wanted to add that you are not alone in your feelings. Some people just don't understand (like my BMB) what its like and that okay. You have a supportive group here who does. As long as you are being healthy for you and baby that is all that matters. 
  • I started out obese so I am concerned about every pound. I'm still doing WW (with my ob's ok) and trying so hard to not gain. 
    May first pregnancy I stressed every pound. My mom would tell me the first 20 lbs are the baby everything else is all you. So every morning I was on the scale. I stressed how quickly to get back into my prepregnancy clothes. 
    Now im 16 weeks with #2, 20 lbs thinner than when I got pregnant with #1 and still stress every pound. 
    I feel like we have so much pressure to be pregnant but not look fat. . And early on we just look fat, well I do. I've seen other bumps and they are so cute and small. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• carrieandrcarrieandr member
    edited February 2016
    @Jenniferk08 My doctor said I should gain 25-35lbs during the pregnancy, so I'd go with that rather than 20. And don't be too hard on yourself. I'm struggling with these body changes, but thankfully I just blame pregnancy.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)