January 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding & Alcohol

ive seen vaious answers. What is your rule of thumb for breastfeeding and alcohol?

Is 1 beer or glass of wine ok to feed if you wait an hour? Or do you pump & dump?

Re: Breastfeeding & Alcohol

• Options
    I go by the 1/2 cup of wine=2.5 hours rule but I may be on the paranoid side
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pump and dump is so wasteful! I wouldn't have liqour, but a beer or a glass of wine your body will metabolize in about 2 hours. Drink plenty of water. In fact i had a beer in the hospital after i had my daughter. We're nursing at this very moment and a friend bought me a birthday beer a few hours ago. No martinis though. I love my baby more then any martini!
  • Options
    I would never drink while I nurse. Babies have no enzyme to metabolize alcohol, so any amount is poison
  • Options
    If you can drive, you can breastfeed. These days I'm too tired to have more than two drinks anyway;)
  • Options
    I usually just don't drink overall and when I do I keep it to an amount that I feel would have no effect. For instance I had one pudding shot tonight which had barely any alcohol in it. If I was even a little concerned by the amount I would pump and dump. But I personally take the very cautious route. 
  • Options
    katiedid0907katiedid0907 member
    edited February 2016
    Babies are able to metabolize alcohol but newborns do so at a very slow rate, about half as quickly as mom. Once they get older they can metabolize more quickly. When you look at how much alcohol actually passes into breastmilk and could be ingested by baby it is such a small amount (I want to say something like 10%). That being said I wouldn't fret about a drink or two but I also wouldn't go out and get wasted.
  • Options
    NO CHILD  IS ABLE TO METABOLIZE ALCOHOL. Do you really need that drink so much to compromise your child's brain development?
  • Options
    I just had a mimosa followed by a glass of plain champagne then tested my breastmilk with those alcohol testing strips - I'd say about 30-45 mins has passed since I had finished my drink and the strip showed no traces of alcohol in my breastmilk...who knows how accurate those things are, but it seems as though there is no reaction on the strip with 1-2 drinks. 
  • Options
    If you need a drink all the time to cope with stress and unable to say no to a drink even knowing it harms your baby, it means that you have a problem with addiction
  • Options
    I don't even drink caffeine while BF so I stay away from drinking also. 
  • Options
    I don't drink caffeine since it seems to make my babies colic worse, but one drink a week doesn't bother me.  I'm pretty sure one Redd's or one Not Your Father's Root Beer isn't going to effect the baby. 
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Do quick Google searches of dark beer and increasing milk supply. I actually drink a beer or two a day and I've noticed a difference. I drink the Shock Top beer, online it says that Guniess (sp?) is best but I've heard it's disgusting. I'm not a beer drinker I am more of a wine drinker but if a glass or two makes your stress level go down then have it! Remember that less stress helps with milk production too :) 
  • Options
    Keep relying on Google for all your answers and not on information someone with medical degree and actual knowledge of biochemistry and addiction medicine. Yes, keep drinking, just don't blame anyone for your child shortcomings- after all you did not know any better

• Options
    Holy judgement @Lily436!! My OB and nutritionist both asked me at my last appointment if my twins were giving me any break yet to have a drink every so often. Literally the nutritionist asked "would you like to have a drink sometimes?" Why yes yes I would. Not because I NEED it. Not because I'm addicted, but because it's nice to relax with a beer or glass of wine in the evening. Also OP, like others have said if you're good to drive you're good to nurse. I often error on the side of caution and if I'm not sure I give from my freezer stash.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ...just wanted to know if a glass of wine is ok...

Holy hormones ladies. Enough with the aggressive comments. Everyone has their opinion & right to do what they think is best for their child and for themselves. 
  • Options
    @maddisonwallace good thinking! And ya know, according to one particular troll on this thread, formula is poison too! So why not just feed them straight alcohol? Same difference right?? :wink: 
  • Options
    @maddisonwallace good thinking! And ya know, according to one particular troll on this thread, formula is poison too! So why not just feed them straight alcohol? Same difference right?? :wink: 
    She's not trolling that is a fact. Formula was created by the government to prime our minds for brain control. They want to compromise your immune system and brain function so they can have total control. #themoonlandingwasstaged #itsafact
    Well of course, everyone knows that! :sweat_smile: 
  • Options
    LIly436LIly436 member
    edited February 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    scornwell717scornwell717 member
    edited February 2016
    *Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    She must feel such guilt over having a c section that she takes it out on other moms. 
  • Options
    *Removed for TOU violation**
    RIP
  • Options
    Man, being in the UK I miss all the good stuff while I'm sleeping.... Darn...