March 2016 Moms

STMs - Nursing Clothes?

I've been looking into nursing clothes, and even basic nursing tanks from places like Target seem needlessly expensive. Don't even get me started on stores and brands who think $45 for a cami is acceptable. STMs+, what "normal" clothes worked for you while nursing without being totally exposed? Is it reasonable to think I can just wear normal stretchy camis, henley tops, button downs, etc. or are the nursing-specific clothes really worth the splurge?

Re: STMs - Nursing Clothes?

• I used a nursing bra (and sometimes a belly band) when I was nursing DS. I tried to wear a regular dark printed shirt to distract from any leaks or stains that might happen, but I just pulled that up, unsnapped the bra, tossed a light blanket over DS and me and carried on.
    I'm a shy person, but I felt confident that I was covered just in case folks were watching (which they shouldn't be/ usually aren't doing).

IMO, a nursing bra is really all the specific nursing clothes needed.
  • Personally I loved the target nursing tanks and think they are worth the cost. I have two white and two black. You could use a regular one but it might get stretched out. I think a couple good nursing bras and maybe some tanks are all I used. Other than that I just looked for normal clothes that seemed nursing friendly. I think my favorite outfits were nursing tanks with sweater cardigans. They provide easy access and also cover the post partum love handles. I also wore the nursing tanks to bed a lot because they provide a little support. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM so I cant comment yet on how they fit or how well they work, but I just bought one on zulily.com for about $10. I wasn't willing to pay target's prices either. The only downside is it takes 2 weeks to get your order. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree that you do want a nursing bra but otherwise I just wore regular tanks and pulled them up/down accordingly. I think too much is made of nursing styles. Like really unless you have to full on strip out of a dress there's generally a way to adjust a regular shirt to make it work. V necks, button downs and scoop necks are also good options. 
  • Another vote for nursing bra but nothing else special. If you can afford it one nursing tank would be nice to have, but not a necessity by any means. Just a heads up to also have disposable nursing pads (I like the Lansinoh brand) on hand because you'll leak a lot in the beginning.  Some people stop having issues with that as their supply regulates but I'm a special snowflake who has to wear nursing pads the entire time I nurse.  The reusable ones won't cut it in the beginning either because you'll need the plastic backing. So yeah for me it's nursing bra, nursing pads and lift up whatever shirt I wear. I do wear a nursing cover depending on where I am but that's personal preference. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think nursing bras and nursing tanks are a necessity. I wore nursing tanks more because I liked having my stomach covered if I was nursing in public. I got mine at Macy's, one black and one white. I think they were like $25 each regular price but I used a coupon. 

Agree about the nursing pads as well. I use the disposable ones in the beginning and once my supply regulates I switch to the reusable washable ones. Also, you want to make sure you use them if you are using lanolin because the lanolin can stain your shirts or bras. 

• I use nursing bras and all of my normal shirts (once they fit again lol). Occasionally a cheap nursing cami from target layered underneath if it's cold and I know I'm going to be nursing outside, but otherwise, nothing fancy. I just lift my shirt up to nurse . . . WAY easier than dealing with a button down style when you've got a fussing baby and less likely to show too much than pulling down an already low cut top. :)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • FTM also and I probably went way overboard but h&m has affordable nursing clothes on their website. They have 2 packs of nursing tanks for $25 that come in solids or several different prints and lots of options for nursing bras, tops, dresses etc. I got 30% off my entire order and ended spending just over $120 for 9 items (2 bras, 4 tanks, 3 tops) and they were shipped and delivered within just a couple of days. 
  • Super random but for anyone who hasn't bought reusable nursing pads yet I cannot say enough good things about Bamboobies. They're my go-to gift now for new mom friends and everyone who uses them raves about them! 
  • FTM still waiting on baby here but Walmart.com has a 2 pack of baby doll style nursing tanks for only around $21. They fit well and you can have them shipped to store for pick up. The whole process is really easy and they were available within only 3 days.
  • All you really need is a nursing bra.  I have 2 nursing tanks from Target for $20 each.  I'm tall and tend to have to wear camis under my shirts already to make them long enough.  But with the bulk of my nursing being in the summer,  I will probably be wearing them as little as possible this time.  Really the only reason I wore them was to cover my side.  This time I bought a nursing scarf that will do that, unlike the apron things most people use.  That's if the baby is even ok with being covered- which a lot of them aren't, especially as they get older!

Anniversary

• I think nursing bra is a must but not nursing clothes.  You can also look up DIY nursing tank on youtube to make your own out of cheap regular tanks.  I've heard a lot of women do that because nursing tanks can be ridiculously expensive.  I personally wore regular clothes and just pull it up when I had to BF.  I use a nursing cover so nothing is showing.  I generally wear loose clothing (especially during the early months post delivery) so it's not too difficult to do. 
  • Anything with a stretchy deep neck, like tanks or dolman or off the shoulder tops worked just fine for me.  Just try it on and if you can  easily slip your boob over your bra and the neck of your top, then you're good to go.
  • oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited February 2016
    i agree with everyone above. i love nursing tanks, but i can also just wear a regular tank under my shirt and pull the top down. ive even worn my bella band (instead of nursingtank) under my shirt as a tummy cover up and just used a bra and regular top. nursing clothes are neat and i love them, but they are expensive so i mostly just look for things that give me easy access (stretchy necks, V-necks, a while ago target had tee-shirts with a mock-wrap v-top 2 for $15 and i got one in almost every color and print haha). the hardest thing for me has been finding dresses for church that accommodate easy access (spaghetti strap is easy for casual stuff, but i feel too exposed for church), but i have found good luck at Ross with v-neck dresses or ones with a cross-top, even occasional stuff at kohls and JCP and dress barn and target.
    i did just splurge on a nursing item for my last baby, bc i have always wanted one and i found a discount code - i ordered one of the kangaroo-care shirts from https://www.milkandbaby.com/collections/all (they have lots of nursing stuff too). the coupon was for 15% off and the code is "claire15" :) ETA sorry that pic is so huge :sweat_smile: 

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • @oceanchild
    I've been wondering too about what to wear to church.  Our SS class has lots of new moms and they often nurse in the back of class, and the nursing room is semi-private but not completely.  It's shared by all the moms.  It's not going to be easy finding dresses & dressy clothes that are nursing friendly, modest, and cover the postpartum pooch!

Anniversary

• @meg_2006 i have worn strappy/tank style dresses before that i can still lift a breast out of the front/top of without having to pull down off my shoulder, and with those i usually just wear a cardigan that i can pull across a little bit if i need more coverage. i also typically just nurse in a ring sling at mass (which comes up to babe's head while we are nursing) and can flip the tail across if need be (approaching the priest for Communion), but my babies have hated having their faces covered. a burpie across myself (not babe's face) has worked too, i just don't want my shoulder bare, so the cardigan works well. we don't have a nursery, just a cryroom which is a glassed in room in/facing the sanctuary on the side, but we only use it when someone is actually crying, otherwise i sit in the pew and nurse.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama!