Breastfeeding

breastfeeding items I will NEED?

Ok mamas, I need to know what breastfeeding items you couldn't live without. Please leave suggestions on bottle brands, creams, nip shields, anything. Advice is also welcome, thanks! :) FTM 27w

Re: breastfeeding items I will NEED?

• Breast milk storage bags. I had to run out a few days after my LO was born to get some and it would have been nice to have them ahead of time 

Nipple shields, lanolin and extra pump bottles are all nice to have too. And definitely some good nursing bras
  • - Dr. Brown bottles screw right into Medela breast pumps which is a nice perk, BUT they do tend to leak if they topple over, even if the cap is on.
    - Lanolin cream was really helpful for me in the beginning b/c LO had a tongue tie but once that was resolved I never used the cream again.
    -Some type of BFing pillow is nice. I had the boppy but I heard the My Breast Friend pillow was way better. I didn't get much use out of the boppy after about a month.
    - Kinda random, but having oatmeal, flax seed, fenugreek, etc on hand would be good. Basically, anything that promotes producing more breastmilk.

The one piece of advice I really like to give to all soon to be moms is to make sure to push for an LC, or multiple LCs (lactation consultants) to evaluate the latch if breastfeeding is really hurting you. It's normal to be sore, but you should not bleed or be in so much pain that you are scared to keep BFing. I made the mistake of assuming it was normal when one LC looked at his latch and said there were no problems. I suffered for a week, then saw another LC who said he had a lip tie. I didn't believe her b/c no one at the hospital noticed, so I didn't get the tie resolved for 6 whole weeks and it killed my supply. I wish I had known better!! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • dufferoodufferoo member
    edited February 2016
    To me, a cool thing about nursing is that it really doesn't require much. The only things I really couldn't live without were a support pillow (I loved our Boppy) and a few nusing bras (the Bravado brand classic and bodysilk seamless aren't the cutest ever but are sooooo comfortable and practical). I received a tiny sample of lanolin at the hospital that was sufficient to last my entire career of nursing, and I had a Hooter Hider nursing cover that was pretty and seemed like a good design, but it didn't get a lot of use because my son and I did better nursing in private (not just for discretion, but he was so easily distracted, we pretty much needed to be in a quiet dim room). I also agree with PP about the latch thing. I was shocked at the almost forceful way I had to shove half my boob in the baby's mouth in order to establish a proper latch, but once I got the hang if it, breastfeeding was so easy.
  • A&LmommyA&Lmommy member
    edited February 2016

I nursed my daughter for more than 2 yrs and I'm about 2.5 weeks into nursing my newborn son. The most helpful things have been good nursing bras, of course, my glider chair for late night feedings, and my hand held avent pump to help when your boobs are full but baby's belly is full too.

The boppy is good but I realized that my tail bone hurt so much from sitting at an angle on the couch or bed when I used it, especially when your recovering from the birth. And I never really used much cream, just put your milk on your nips to help them heal if they're sore. Oh and eating oatmeal too, even if its just instant.

• We use Mam bottles-love them

I swear by bamboobies nipple cream- it doesn't need to be wiped off before nursing. I don't need to use it very often but sometimes when it hurts to pump, I put it on and it helps. 

You will need nursing tank tops and bras. I have 3 bras and need to go by more. Nursing tanks that clip and ones that pull down are awesome. 

I also love using our boppy. 

You will also need nursing pads. I like Lanish or medela ones. 

The Lanish milk storage bags are my favorite because they can be frozen flat. I've ever only had one leak on me and I believe it's because I didn't seal it all the way. 
  • Receiving blankets - I have a huge supply and LO is a messy eater so I tuck one underneath my breast before I put him on, otherwise I'm a huge mess after he's done. 
    I barely use my nursing pillow now at 4 weeks, but it was helpful in the beginning while my arms were getting used to holding him. 
    I suggest reusable, washable breast pads, made of cotton,  because those first weeks you're leaking or BFing so much that the constant moisture gets to your nipples and the cotton feels really nice on sore nipples. 
    I love my bravado nursing bra but it was quite expensive and I found a decent Playtex brand one at Walmart for half the price. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • SianyblewsSianyblews member
    edited February 2016
    I struggled with nipple thrush for a bit which nearly saw me quitting. The disposable breast pads may have contributed; I now have 16 washable pads which I change regularly has solved that problem along with medication. 

During that pain, using nipple shields for a few days was the only thing that got me through. But they did cause a lot of mess, so wet wipes on hand at all times. I have 3 nursing bras but realistically needed more during this time to keep clean. 

What has really helped me is having all the things I find handy in a basket which I keep next to me on the sofa and by the bed. Being prepared rather than yelling for my husband to grab this and that for me! 

A drink and some cereal bars for 3am hunger pangs also helps.
  • All I NEEDED was my boobs. Seriously. None of the following are necessary to be able to nurse. :)

What I think made my experience better:
    - having water and snacks ALWAYS AT THE READY
    - breast pump to relieve engorgement 
    - coconut oil for my nips 
    - washable pads for leakage 
    - firm pillow to help support my arms as I held baby  
    - clip down nursing bras and tank tops (I still only wear nursing bras a 12 months pp)
    - working with the LC at the hospital on positioning and latch 
    - reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and the Sears Breastfeeding book
    - learning to nurse in different positions and in public
    - talking frequently with other breastfeeding mothers 

If I could do it over again I would wait to buy bottles until I knew what my lo liked. After a few months we offered all sorts of bottles, but the only one he would take was the Playtex kind. This means all the Avent bottles we got before he was born (like 12 of them) were unusable except to store milk in the refrigerator for future use!!) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes to washable cotton nursing pads - I got some of the disposable Medela ones and hated them.

Still living in my nursing tanks from Target at 7 months PP...I thought $22 was expensive for a tank top but they're a must have.

I also have gotten a lot of use out of Lansinoh Thera-pearls, great for putting on clogged ducts and help to get more when pumping.
  • bellie1223bellie1223 member
    edited February 2016
    As you can tell from previous responses, everyone has a different experience so it will really depend on what works for you and your baby. The only things I've really found to be indispensable have been a good nursing bras (I like the sports bra style ones, they are the only ones I've found that don't make my boobs look gross and lumpy), a breast pump and storage bags, and bottles. I didn't buy multiple bottles of any kind until I found the ones she liked, which happened to be the first one I tried (she's obviously not very picky), the Mam bottle that came free with my gift for registering at BRU.

I never used nipple cream, I found that breast milk works best. I have a boppy, but I only use it at night. Never leaked so no use for nursing pads. 

I will say for nursing in public, having a layering system has been a must for me. I like the cheap stretchy tanks from h&m (like $5) with a loose, flowy shirt over. Pull the tank down and shirt up to latch, then let the shirt lay on baby's head and no one can tell what you're doing!

• I will say for nursing in public, having a layering system has been a must for me. I like the cheap stretchy tanks from h&m (like $5) with a loose, flowy shirt over. Pull the tank down and shirt up to latch, then let the shirt lay on baby's head and no one can tell what you're doing!

This is brilliant. It sounds so simple now that you've written it but never thought of it despite owning quite a few flawy tops and tank tops.

• I will say for nursing in public, having a layering system has been a must for me. I like the cheap stretchy tanks from h&m (like $5) with a loose, flowy shirt over. Pull the tank down and shirt up to latch, then let the shirt lay on baby's head and no one can tell what you're doing!

This is brilliant. It sounds so simple now that you've written it but never thought of it despite owning quite a few flawy tops and tank tops.
    Seriously, it works so well if you are not super well endowed. I nurse her in public often and so many people mention how sweet my "sleeping" baby is. I really want to correct them and say "actually she's sucking on my teat right now!" because I think it's really important to normalize breast feeding, but I just let them think what they want...
  • The first couple weeks were rough. I could not have lived without the lansinoh pearls hot and cold therapy. I used them warm and it really helps. 
  • Don't go overboard on supplies. Have a tube of lanolin, a comfortable nursing bra, a double electric breastpump, a few bottles, a couple breast pads, and a boppy pillow is nice. Musilin blankets make nice covers. You really don't know how long you will BF for and you don't really know what you will need. I bought a big box of breast pads and never leaked after about a week. I only needed lanolin the 1st couple weeks. If you will be going back to work have more bottles. Also have some netflix shows lined up or buy an easy read fiction book. You will spend a lot of time nursing and there's only so much you can stare at baby.
  • Don't go overboard on supplies. Have a tube of lanolin, a comfortable nursing bra, a double electric breastpump, a few bottles, a couple breast pads, and a boppy pillow is nice. Musilin blankets make nice covers. You really don't know how long you will BF for and you don't really know what you will need. I bought a big box of breast pads and never leaked after about a week. I only needed lanolin the 1st couple weeks. If you will be going back to work have more bottles. Also have some netflix shows lined up or buy an easy read fiction book. You will spend a lot of time nursing and there's only so much you can stare at baby.

Seriously, it works so well if you are not super well endowed. I nurse her in public often and so many people mention how sweet my "sleeping" baby is. I really want to correct them and say "actually she's sucking on my teat right now!" because I think it's really important to normalize breast feeding, but I just let them think what they want...
    I have the hardest tune bfing discreetly for this reason. My breasts are just so big that it is difficult for me to block myself with babies head!! I just got used to occasionally flashing people  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, all you really NEED are your breasts.

Some things that made the first few weeks easier, and continue to help me, are:

These hydrogel pads. I want to scream from the roof about how amazing they were in the first couple weeks: https://www.amazon.com/Ameda-17261M-ComfortGel-Hydrogel-Pads/dp/B003IP2L38/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1456765599&sr=8-1&keywords=ameda+hydrogel+pads

Lanisoh lanolin.

Medela nursing pads, both disposable and washable.
    (I alternated using hydrogel pads during the day and lanolin with the medela nursing pads at night to get through the first week or so.)

Nursing tanks. I liked these:
    https://www.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-12250744?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Women+Shopping&adgroup=Camisoles_SC&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9010837&gclid=CPmOx_u7ncsCFYclgQod0b4Pfw&gclsrc=aw.ds
    and these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Bun-Maternity-Nursing-Tank-Top/dp/B00KSUN60I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456765969&sr=8-1&keywords=bun+maternity+nursing+tank

Nursing bras. I got these. They are cheap and comfortable:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6M1I0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

As far as bottles, I just use the ones that came with my pump, which is medela. They work fine.

Also, utilize the LCs in the hospital, if yours has them. I also saw one a few days after we had gone home for a weighted feed (super helpful and reassuring) and to answer additional questions, as the hospital stay was somewhat of a blur. I had bad scabs on my nipples that were due to a not so great latch, and that the LC helped us to correct with relative ease. Once we corrected the latch, the scabs healed in a few days and I had absolutely no pain going forward. Don't suffer with scabs and pain. Let an LC help you. Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Technically you need nothing that's the beauty. For me, the first few weeks would have been a lot harder without: a boppy, nipple cream, and a wonderfully supportive husband.

i bought a cheap nursing bra (the sleep kind) and went out after the first week or so to buy real ones.  
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding very truly saved my breastfeeding experience. I had a bad experience with a LC (which now I hear is common), and the advice from that book got me through a difficult first month.

I started bleeding in week 2, and didn't want a nipple shield. My mother just went out and bought one for me, and that (plus Lanolin and the positions shown in the book) are what got me through it.

I'm so amazed and jealous by the women saying they didn't leak much! I spent two-three months with leaky boobs.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    -Boppy and two covers 
    -mother love nipple cream 
    -breastpump 
    -Kiinde storage system and bottle warmer 
    -nursing bras 
    -burp cloths 
    -bamboobies (reusable breast pads) 
    -reusable water bottle 
    -(nipple shield, possibly) 
  • I never needed breast pads because I didn't leak. I used nipple cream only for a week. I loved the gel pads but again, only used them for a week. I like our Boppy but don't always use it for breastfeeding. I use it to prop DD up when we play or as a back pillow for me when I'm relaxing and she's asleep. 
    My biggest recommendation is don't buy too much of anything until you know you'll need it. You don't want to stock up on expensive breast pads and then find out you don't leak. I didn't buy any nursing tank tops because I find regular ones work fine. I only have one nursing bra because I'm a SAHM during the week and if I'm home I prefer just wearing a shelf tank top. And because I only work 6-20 hours a week I find milk storage bags are unnecessary. I have 12 2 oz Medela milk storage bottles that I bought and 4 4 oz storage bottles that my hospital gave me/came with my breast pump and 10 or so 2 oz snappies that my hospital sent me home with. I usually don't keep more than 20 oz of breast milk stored at a time so reusable containers made more sense. 
    So buy small packages of things to see what you will use. I was able to go out to the store right away and wasn't bothered about bring DD out to Walmart or target. But you can easily find a picture of the product you want and send out your SO or mother or MIL to the store if you can't go yourself. 
  • Breast pump ( I have both electric and handheld, I prefer my hand held). Breast milk bags, bottles to pump into and to leave in the fridge for storage. Nursing pads. I used mainly Medela and up and up. She prefers to drink from Mam bottles so we pour the milk in when it's time to use. I also use masking tape on the outside of the storage bottles to write dates of when they were pumped. 

I also like having those grass drying racks. 

The bottles you will just have to try and see what your baby prefers. We love Mam but she did also take Medela (she was messy with them though), tommee tippee (she sounded really noisy with this one) and playtex ventair ( slower flow so I use it sometimes when she's still acting hungry but I know she's almost done cause it helps to pace her)
  • Feeding pillow, I keep two a bopy and a l. The l is great for football hold as my posture isn't the greatest. Nipple shield, you may not need one but they are great to draw the nipple out when you get engorged or have a clogged duct. We have a pharmacy that rents hospital grade pumps so it saves you the cost of buying one and you can still make a going out stash. Call around see if you have one that rents. Ask your doctor about a lc. If you can have an appointment set for day 3 or 4 I found that's when my milk would arrive and my great latching baby has to deal with engorged footballs. I was ready for it this time and was less stressed as I had a plan. Good luck!

Owyn Russell - August 10, 2011

Lily Ann - March 22, 2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker