Breastfeeding
Options

I have ZERO desire to breastfeed...anyone with me?

glenbride09glenbride09 member
edited February 2016 in Breastfeeding
I am having #3 in June (others are 4 and 2yrs). I exclusively pumped with them for 4 months then stopped due to going back to work (I'm a teacher, I can not just leave my students and there is no room to pump in except for a file closet or my shared science storage closet), I never even tried to BF as I knew I had no desire to do it. With 3 home for the summer I know it will be easier to not pump (no washing pump parts, bottles etc). Any tips on where to start to get in the right frame of mind?  These are my reason why pumping worked for me
  1) I could do errands for a few hrs and not have to return home due to hungry baby and feel bummed about it
2) hubby could do a nighttime feed even if I did have to pump once in the night so I could sleep
3) I could be out with baby and just give them a bottle and continue on our way
4) no weaning stress or attempt to get baby to switch to bottle when going back to work

I feel like a baby on my boob is a violation of my body, there is no way I would EVER BF baby even covered up at a friends house and I just don't want to feel this way! It doesn't bother me if someone else does it, I just don't want to do it!

please help me!    

Re: I have ZERO desire to breastfeed...anyone with me?

• Options
    What do you need help with? You hate the idea of braestfeeding and don't want to bother with pumping? Then buy some formula.
  • Options
    Not breastfeeding is not the end of the world.  I would say if you really feel like you should, then do it for a week, and then set yourself tiny goals, like another day, or two more days and see how you do.  Since you never tried with your first two, you could find that it's not as uncomfortable as you thought.  Or you may find that you hate it and then formula is the way for you to go.  Don't feed guilty for not breastfeeding or pumping, the more important thing is that your baby is fed and you are both happy.  

If you do want to try, I would suggest going to a breastfeeding class or watching some YouTube videos or getting a book at the library.  It can help refresh you on how to get baby to latch, etc.  Use the lactation consultant at the hospital as much as you can if you have questions or issues. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah I don't understand what you want help with either. Formula seems like the obvious solution.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    If you want to try to BF, why don't you BF and pump depending on what situation you are in? You could also partially formula feed too.
  • Options
    It's going to be a personal decision on what you feel most comfortable with for you and your baby. I'm still breastfeeding my 7 month old but it seemed like I was pumping more and nursing less after I returned to work.  Around 6 months I switched to EP all together and I agree with all the points you listed above. Pumping does allow for more freedom than nursing and I feel like it can be on my schedule. I do miss nursing at times though, and I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on time with DS because I have to go pump, even if it is just for 15 minutes. 

I asked our pediatrician if there was any downside to pumping and bottles over nursing and she said as long as it's breastmilk it doesn't matter how he gets it