August 2016 Moms
Options

Age gaps

Dd1 and dd2 are 2 years 4 months apart. Dd2 and this baby will be 2 years 2 months apart. How far apart are your kids? If you're a ftm, then how far apart do you want your kids? Stm do you wish you could change your gap?

I was trying to get babies two and three 18-24 mos apart but mother nature didn't cooperate.

Re: Age gaps

• Options
    I want one more, but want to wait until this one is in pre-k. My boss told me how much she was paying in day care for both of her girls. I'm okay with waiting! 

Pregnancy20ticker

• Options
    I'm due less than a week before DS's third birthday. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM here but I think 4 years is our plan!

Me - 33; DH - 33
    Dating 1/18/06
    Married 9/21/13
    BFP #1 12/15/15 - C Born 8/27/16
    BFP #2 1/10/20 - EDD 9/8/20

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DS will be 7 a month after peanut is born. DH & I want 1-2 more, with 3 being a strong possibility. Identical twins run in my family on my mom's side. Last 3 generations.
  • Options
    DS will be 2yrs 4/5mnths when this LO is born. We want one more so we'll probably have a similar age gap for the next one as well. 

• Options
    DD1 and DD2 are 3 years and 3 months apart. Wanted a smaller gap, but had to finish my PhD first and then had trouble conceiving DD2. This LO will be only 20 months younger than DD2, which is nice on the one hand, but scary on the other.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD and DS are 16 months apart (now 6 and 4.5) and it's the best thing ever. They are truly best friends and developmentally on the same page. It helped that DD was an easy baby though. If she had been as difficult as DS was then they would have been years apart. This third LO (another boy!) Will be 5 years younger than my youngest, who will just be starting kindergarten when I have him. I like the idea of starting fresh and having one on one time with the new baby. 
  • Options
    We would have preferred between 2-3 years apart but had a second tri loss last time and then needed to wait a few months for testing before we could try again, so they will be 3.5 years apart. While I'm sad they may not be as close while they are young, I try to focus on the fact that we will have had all this time 1:1 with DS1 and that daycare and college will be cheaper without as much overlap. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM. I would really like to have 4 kids. I'm hoping to have at least the first 3 within 18 months of each other. Obviously you can only plan so much and it's out of your hands, but that's what I'll go for.
  • Options
    My son will be 12 when the baby is born and my daughter will be 7.
  • Options
    DD will be 2y 2m when #2 arrives. We will hopefully have 1 more but plan on waiting about 4-5yrs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    My son will be 2 yrs 9 months when this one is born. We wanted them closer together (like just over 2 yrs) but it took us awhile to get pregnant this time.

• Options
    DD will be 4yrs 9montha when this one comes it's a bigger fan then we originally wanted but I think it will be great. She is old enough to understand what's going on and wants to help out.
  • Options
    Exactly @bananers :). At least that's my persuasion with DH.
  • Options
    My first two are 2.5 years apart. When baby arrives there will be almost 6 years difference between baby and my youngest. I would have liked to have a smaller gap but for health reasons it did not work out like that... I'm hearing stories though from others will large gaps and how much they liked it and how it was helpful.
    Married - 4/7/07
    Son #1- 2/15/08
    Son #2- 8/18/10
    Baby 3 due 8/8/16
  • Options
    Ours will be 3.5 years apart. I'm thrilled with the spacing. We've had so much quality time with DD and I didn't feel like I needed to rush her out of the baby stage. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm due Aug 4,same due date as my now 18 mo old he was born July 24.sooooo
    Baby girl may potentially come the same week her older brothers turn 2  and 17 . Lol 
    I have always regretted that the oldest  didn't have a sibling to grow up with and now he will be off on college when these two are little. He says he liked being an only child and now he's old enough to think the Littles are fun ,he basically thinks the toddler is his personal trained monkey and likes to show him off to his lady friends lol and when we had the baby his colic and reflux was so terrible I swore no more. til he turned one and suddenly I had that baby fever again. so I'll have kids 15 -17 yrs apart and 2 years apart lol sorry for the novel....
  • Options
    They will be 5 1/2 years apart. We wanted closer but last year I had a chemical pregnancy and had some trouble after that. 

• Options
    DD will be 6.5 years old when LO is born. We live in a Chicago suburb so daycare cost was a huge factor in why we waited. 
  • Options
    My first two are now 3 and 1 they are 20 months apart and this babe and my youngest will be 22 months apart.

• Options

My first two are 10 1/2 years apart.  My second and third are 18 months apart.  My third and fourth will be 20 months apart.

• Options
    I'm a FTM and had been thinking of a large gap 4-5 years but I've gotten a late start (will be 33 when this one is born) so now I'm leaning towards a shorter gap of 2.5-3 years. I'm not sure what the best gap is and so much will be up to chance. I've heard a lot of varying opinions on what the best gap is both from the parents' perspective and the siblings' perspective--I find the opinions really interesting. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DS will be 2 yr 10 months when this little one is born. Would have liked an even narrower gap but didn't happen! This gap is the same as I am with two of my brothers tho, and I did always like it growing up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ds2 is 16 months older than ds2 and this one will be 12mo younger than my middle ahhhhhhh. It will be a learning process since my sister and I are 6 years apart :) 
  • Options
    My DD and this new one will be 3 years and 4 months apart.  We wanted a smaller age gap-- when DD was born, I was planning to have another about 2.5 years later, but when the time came to try again, we weren't quite ready.  We spend a lot of time talking about it and started trying so that they would be 2.75-3 years apart, but it took a couple of months and then I miscarried.

So, the gap is larger than I would like, but it means we only have 9 months of paying for full-time daycare for two, since junior kindergarten starts at age 4 here.  And now that things are sinking in, I'm glad of the age gap because my daughter is "high needs" in that she needs a lot of cuddle and one on one time with me.  I think the adjustment will be much easier for her at 3.25 than it would have been at 2.5. 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    Exactly 3 years and I'm thrilled! We planned it that way. Although going into it I was thinking 18-24 months was perfect, it simply isn't. Both kiddos in diapers, super jealousy issues with the older kid, the older kid isn't independent enough yet, and there are things you might need for baby that are still being used for the older kid if they're too close so you either have to rush the older one out of it or buy two. 

I have friends who have kids so are 6-7 yrs apart and they love it. I think 3-5.5 is great so they are old enough when the baby arrives but you aren't "starting all over again" if the age gap is too large.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    DS1 and DS2 are 6.5 years apart. DS2 and baby will be 4.5 years apart. Where I never intended the gap to be this large, it was really easy with the first being so far apart, I expect it to be similar this time. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    FTM but we will wait at least a year before we consider trying for a 2nd. I'm leaning more to 2 years a part so that they are close but still enough distance that I can give my body a break from pregnancy and enjoy being a family of 3 for awhile.

• Options
    Ours will be 28 months apart which I'm excited about. My brother and I are 27 months apart and have always been close.  We never fought growing up so I'm hoping to be as lucky with my own.  
  • Options
    Our first and second daughters are 2 years and 2 days apart. My second daughter will be 18 months when this baby is born. We love them close together. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SS will be 7 and DD will be 5. 
  • Options
    My first two are 16 months apart and I loved that age gap. My oldest doesn't remember the days before his brother was here, so there was no jealousy and they are super close. And we didn't have to store baby stuff because as the older one outgrew it- the baby moved into it. They now share clothes at 2 and 3, too. This baby will be around 30 months younger than DS2. It's a bigger gap than we wanted, but since DS2 was a preemie, we were advised to wait at least 2 years.   If we have a 4th (probably will, provided this baby is healthy and close to term), we will aim for 18 months again. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    The age difference between dd1 and this baby will be 2 years 8 months
  • Options

DS was born December 2012, meaning the age gap with this baby will be over 3.5 years.  We had been hoping for about 2 years but it wasn't in the cards, I guess.  We had quite a bit of unexplained trouble conceiving this time around.  We were 3 weeks out from our first RE appointment when we found out we were pregnant.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    They'll be 2 years and 6-7 weeks apart depending on when I schedule my c-section.  I would have preferred them a little closer, but I wanted to be eligible for NJFLA again, which is every 24 months instead of 12 like FMLA - it gives me a whole extra 12 weeks!!  It's probably for the best considering the cost of sending both of them to school everyday.  Oy.  I also learned that it takes you body a full 18 months to "refuel," if you will, between pregnancies so that you have all the best nutrients, etc. stocked up for the next baby, so it worked out that our FET was scheduled right around DD's 18 mo bday :-)
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    My daughter and step-son are 10 months apart, and they are very close. They will be 5 and 6 when this one is born and we'd like to have one more, though we're still debating when. We'd like our last two to be pretty close in age as well, so we talked about starting to try again when this DS is about 6 months old. It all depends on how we're feeling when the time comes though; having 2 babies in diapers and daycare would be expensive!
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    our kids will be 26 months apart assuming this baby comes on it's dd:)
  • Options
    DS and LO will be 2 yrs and 5 months apart. That timing is perfectly good with us, especially since we though it would take longer to get pregnant with LO so it's a nice surprise. My sister and I are 19 months apart and we are very close, so I'm hoping the kids will be close too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There will be a 14 year age gap between my oldest stepson and this LO. Then 12 years and 8 years between my stepdaughter and youngest stepson. The kids are really excited, though I am wondering how the 8 year old will really feel once the LO gets here as he has been the baby of the family for so long and since he is dead set on a boy, a girl could really crush his dreams.