March 2016 Moms

Affordable Nursery Decor Ideas

Hey guys! I thought maybe this could be a place for all the creative mammas to share their decor ideas. I know there's a post on showing their nurseries, but I want this specifically for cheap decoration ideas. Like DIY's or if you found a great deal somewhere on accent rugs. :) I finally started working on the baby room the other day and the room is pretty small and it really needs some decor. The thing is it's pretty expensive to go all out on decorations (my husband is the only thing holding me back haha).

Here's the beginning of the room. Again it's a small space like the size of an office. We are going to buy a glider to put in the corner soon as well. :) Ive been trying to find like a light pink heart accent rug to put down and there's almost nothing affordable (I don't understand why!). I also want to tie like little pink bows to the crib and put up some wall decals (can't paint the room unfortunately) and other stuff but I need to figure out how to do all that cheaply. It's been hard enough working with such a tight space...

Re: Affordable Nursery Decor Ideas

• Ikea has a small, pink, heart rug:  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20240706/ 

Also, we got some wall decals from Target that were not expensive to fill up the wall spaces.  Good luck!  
  • Dollar Tree has wall decals that hold up pretty well for a dollar. I'm not sure if they have anything baby related, but wouldn't hurt to look!
    M & B
    miscarriage - September 2012 @ 9 weeks
    blighted ovum - November 2012
    BFP!!! - July 2015
    Amelia, my sweet little rainbow baby born March 4, 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're close to a Hobby Lobby go there now!  Don't take DH though, that's like hunting with the Game Warden.  I finally got to make a trip to the store and found piles of things that I wanted for the baby room and it's all super affordable and beyond cute!
  • schweitzschweitz member
    edited February 2016
    If you're close to a Hobby Lobby go there now!  Don't take DH though, that's like hunting with the Game Warden.  I finally got to make a trip to the store and found piles of things that I wanted for the baby room and it's all super affordable and beyond cute!

Cool I've never heard of it before I'll check it out!
  • amyidamyid member
    edited February 2016
    I make a lot of paper decor, wreaths, garlands, hanging paper chains etc- maybe if it's your style you can do that - it's cheap to do and just requires time.... I'm thinking of making some type of paper garland in my nursery colors - although it might end up peachy colored as I already have an overstock of that color ! 
  • Does anyone know how I could make a crib canopy but one that comes from the wall not hanging over it from the ceiling? 
  • @schweitz, I just googled wall crib canopy and they were really pretty. It looks like I would use an overturned planter and screw it to the wall and would glue and staple the fabric to the inside.
  • These are two cheap hacks I did. I bought a $5 led light strand (MUST be led!) and attached squares of sparkly tulle fabric over the bulb with rubber bands. I eventually hung it on the wall. For her name,   just got cardstock from Joanns and cut the letters out with my cricut, but it would be easy to do by hand too!
  • We love the babe's crib and it was only a hundred bucks from Ikea. It's cute, structurally sound and it comes with a conversion kit.

HENSVIK Crib IKEA The bed base can be placed at two different heights

DIYed a mobile since they all seemed stupidly expensive. All it consisted of was some cheapie embroidery hoops, yarn and fishing string.

Also DIYed the rope shelf - that cost like 15 bucks (with the hardware being most of the cost). the rest of the décor came from cheapie places like TJ Maxx and Hobby Lobby.

ETA: we also DIYed "beadboard" or rather, our version of it. The wood strips we used were suuuppper cheap and adds some character to the room. No need for the "board" part as the wall was already smooth and the chair rail was already up.

Your nursery is my absolute favorite @flowerpower5838!!!!
  • edited February 2016
    @lcq5504 you are the sweetest <3

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Love all the ideas and your nurseries are adorable!
  • @schweitz, I just googled wall crib canopy and they were really pretty. It looks like I would use an overturned planter and screw it to the wall and would glue and staple the fabric to the inside.
    So smart, an overturned planter! Now my only question is would it look weird to have a canopy over the bed if the bed isn't front and center to the room but its on the left side when you walk in? The room is small and so the furniture had to be arranged so it would fit comfortably. Or should I put the canopy by the rocking chair in the corner instead and try to find a corner planter or something (does that exist?)...
  • @amyid that gold paper wreath is gorgeous! @schweitz all I can think when I look at that photo is that I'd be constantly paranoid that the planter would detach from the ceiling and fall into the crib/onto the baby!  Maybe there is a lighter alternative?  Perhaps even just securing the canopy material itself to the ceiling and artfully gathering/bunching it where it is attached (I'm imagining something cloud-like looking)? 
  • @flowerpower5838 snap on the ikea crib!! What mattress did you get if you don't mind? We bought a sealy one today at bru!

We are currently renting a two bed apt and the baby's room is also our guest room. I think the nursery would look a lot different if we were in a house but one of my favourite things is the ikea cart used as a diaper caddy! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • chimechime member
    edited February 2016

I haven't finished it yet but I got this dresser from a thrift store for $30.  With some cleaning, sanding and painting it's starting to look brand new.  

Thrift stores can have some really good finds, especially clothes if you'd rather spend money elsewhere.  I got a lot of baby clothes from 75 cents to a dollar each.  A lot of it too are pieces that are still being sold in stores like Target.  Some of them even have the original tags.  By doing this I freed up money to spend a little more on decor things.
  • @ecwk Love that cart. I kept trying to come up with some reason for us to buy it haha. We got a mattress from Target. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. The ones at Ikea looked just a smidge sad to me.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I am so jealous of all you creative types! These projects are amazing to me!! 

• BRU has a safety first heavenly dreams mattress with great reviews for under$50.
  • @amyid that gold paper wreath is gorgeous! @schweitz all I can think when I look at that photo is that I'd be constantly paranoid that the planter would detach from the ceiling and fall into the crib/onto the baby!  Maybe there is a lighter alternative?  Perhaps even just securing the canopy material itself to the ceiling and artfully gathering/bunching it where it is attached (I'm imagining something cloud-like looking)? 
    Yea my husband had the same concern and was like "no way are we doing that." Very valid point there... Gonna have to come up with alternatives. Thinking maybe just a name decal right on the wall over the crib (can't fall down right? ;) )

• Also as far as crib mattresses go, I spent a while considering them and spoke to my mom about it (who's had 5 kids and the youngest is currently 5 so she still knows a thing or two ;))... 

She told me spend around $100 on a crib mattress but not more, and that it's worth it to invest in a good one that will last longer (if you plan to have more kids or use it as a toddler bed later, etc.) She said Sealy and Serta are very good brands. I bought a Serta mattress from Amazon (Amazon Prime is the best! I ordered EVERYTHING from there!) and it was just under $100. It is pretty expensive but here's hoping I won't have to buy a new mattress in a couple years! ;)

I also went into a TJ Maxx and bought a random canvas with a cute saying on it and this wooden gray thing to hang on the wall.. I want to buy those big paper pom pom flowers and cluster them in one of the corners over the rocking chair (will tape hold em up well enough or does anyone have a better idea?). And then I want to buy sashes and tie bows on the outside of the crib bars and the changing table. That's what I've got so far lol. 

• chime said:

I haven't finished it yet but I got this dresser from a thrift store for $30.  With some cleaning, sanding and painting it's starting to look brand new.  

Thrift stores can have some really good finds, especially clothes if you'd rather spend money elsewhere.  I got a lot of baby clothes from 75 cents to a dollar each.  A lot of it too are pieces that are still being sold in stores like Target.  Some of them even have the original tags.  By doing this I freed up money to spend a little more on decor things.
    It looks amazing! I bought like Carters and Gerber packs of onesies and pants on Amazon to save money there. Most people give clothes as gifts when the baby is born I think and they go and buy cute little outfits and whatever. Love the dresser by the way it's so smart and adorable!
  • @schweitz what about something like this to hold the canopy? 

https://www.amazon.com/CURVED-CURTAIN-ROD-684-extends/dp/B003VF3YHW

It's supposedly flexible so you could adjust it to how you want. They've got some nice sheer curtains at IKEA for super cheap that I can see working well for it! 

They also have this one at restoration hardware that I wouldn't necessarily classify as 'cheap' but it looks really sturdy so it may be worth the peace of mind. Plus if you sign up for their emails (which you can unsubscribe immediately) they send you either a10 or 15% off coupon. 

https://www.rhbabyandchild.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=rhbc_prod227256&categoryId=rhbc_cat361078

• Poppy0419 said:
    @schweitz what about something like this to hold the canopy? 

https://www.amazon.com/CURVED-CURTAIN-ROD-684-extends/dp/B003VF3YHW

It's supposedly flexible so you could adjust it to how you want. They've got some nice sheer curtains at IKEA for super cheap that I can see working well for it! 

They also have this one at restoration hardware that I wouldn't necessarily classify as 'cheap' but it looks really sturdy so it may be worth the peace of mind. Plus if you sign up for their emails (which you can unsubscribe immediately) they send you either a10 or 15% off coupon. 

https://www.rhbabyandchild.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=rhbc_prod227256&categoryId=rhbc_cat361078

Cool thanks! I like the RH one it's cool.