3rd Trimester

Asking to be Induced...

Hi! FTM here :) I really want to ask my doctor to be induced at 39 weeks.  Aside from bad pelvic/back pain I don't have any real medical reasons to want this... But I have a few non medical:

1- A scheduled induction would be much better for my work schedule
2- Although my husband will be there for the birth, I really want my mom there more than anything. She lives 11 hours away, so if we induce she can be present.
3- We are pretty sure baby boy is a little on the large side! Growth scan indicated 7.2lbs at 36w 6days. I know that isn't HUGE (and I know those can be off), but when you take into account the fact that I was 10lbs at birth, and my DH was 9...  It makes me think this little guy might be on the hefty side.

Do you think my doc could possibly go for it? How do I bring this up? 

Re: Asking to be Induced...

• Loading the player...
  • ohhhhhh kay, sorry. First time mom, accidentally pregnant, doing this alone, have no idea what I'm doing. That's why I asked. Didn't realize I was going to be attacked by other moms!  Geeze this place is awful.
  • Husband will be there - but we are separated and he did not want this baby. Any who. Yeah, you guys are really rude. I hope you don't treat every naive first time mom like this. You're probably raising blood pressure and causing unwanted stress and even complications with your crappy attitudes and snarky comments. 
  • Hopefully this is just MUD. At this point no one has an excuse to say things like this and then claim they are being attacked. Sheesh. 
    But speshul!!! 
  • LIly436LIly436 member
    edited February 2016
    **Removed for TOU Violation***
  • A week is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I was 4 days overdue when I had my baby. Yeah those 4 extra days were brutal but you deal with it. FWIW my baby was measuring 8lbs5oz at 38weeks and was born 8lbs6oz so inducing for a suspected big baby is BS in my opinion. Baby will come when they are ready. As much as you want that baby to come out cherish your last few days as a non-parent. 
  • GAaaah what's the point.
    She made her sneuaflake post, we told her why it was a bad idea, she called us all mean names and told us we were awful people who made others have blood pressure issues and disappeared. #allinadayswork 
    well done ladies... We've maintained our awesome status for another day!!! :wink: 
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited February 2016
    **Removed for TOU Violation**

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Aww man, I really wanna see what was removed!

OP, if you're looking for baby to be convenient you're in for a rude awakening.  Nothing about having a child is convenient, might as well get used to it.  You should be focusing on what's best for baby right now, not what's best for self.  And that means baby coming when BABY is ready.  

Also, many of us have pushed out large babies- myself included.  NBD.

Anniversary

• Sure you could ask but if your doctor felt like it was necessary they would have discussed that with you. 
  • J1D said:
    Hi! FTM here :) I really want to ask my doctor to be induced at 39 weeks.  Aside from bad pelvic/back pain I don't have any real medical reasons to want this... But I have a few non medical:

2- Although my husband will be there for the birth, I really want my mom there more than anything. She lives 11 hours away, so if we induce she can be present.
    3- We are pretty sure baby boy is a little on the large side! Growth scan indicated 7.2lbs at 36w 6days. I know that isn't HUGE (and I know those can be off), but when you take into account the fact that I was 10lbs at birth, and my DH was 9...  It makes me think this little guy might be on the hefty side.

Edit to add:

If you know you will be induced for medical reasons, don't read this! Go relax and don't worry, yeah? Babies! Think about your beautiful baby! Don't read this :) Just don't read this, go do other things that aren't reading this :)

Op, yeah, no. Let's not even argue the right or wrong of it, have you googled what an induction actually is? Cause, um, how do I put this? 
    They suck.
    They suck hard.
    I've heard it's not too bad for some but for me it was terrible. I had to be induced at 38 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. I was zero dialated and not effaced and baby was all the way up there (not dropped into position yet.) About the only thing I had going for me was little dude was head down.
    Anyhoo, they shove things in your cervix which is a blast when that sucker is closed up tight! They can try a pill thing of meds shoved into your cervix but if that doesn't work they shove a balloon catheter deal up there, fill it with saline and then TUG on that mo-fo till it comes out. Which, by the way, when it comes out with your mucus plug is freaking gross.Also, having people with their hands and equipment all up in you kinda starts to hurt a whole lot after the ten billionth medical fisting, just sayin'. Then once you are dialated to 4 cm the real fun begins! The pic drip and non stop contractions from h-e-double hockey sticks. Those bad boys roll in one on top of the other. Eventually, if you are lucky, your body gets with the program and a healthy baby comes out of your vagina. If you are unlucky you went through all that and end up with a c section.
    I was in labor for 45 hours and it was not fun. My kiddo and body thankfully cooperated and I was able to eventually deliver vaginally with no real further complications. One of my besties however, who had to be induced, labored for 36 hours and then had to have a c section.
    Btw, by 36 weeks I had to use a cane to walk and needed help in and out of bed, needed a cane to get on and off the toilet, needed a shower chair cause I couldn't stand long enough to shower, by 37 weeks I was a crying lump of dispare and by 38 weeks I was honestly considering stepping in front of a bus or something. So I do actually understand how painful the last month's and weeks of pregnancy can be, but induction is not a cake walk. 
    There are also risks for baby and my poor buddy was jaundiced from the preeclampsia/induction/being born early and that wasn't fun for him or us.
    Get some more pillows, get a heating pad for your hips, if you can afford if get one of those portable blow up hot tubs that you can set to a very warm temp but not hot-hot and live in said tub (it's the only thing that saved my sanity), eat some ice cream, get some games on your phone and be patient. 
    Baby will come when baby is ready.
    Inductions are not fun and should not be thought of as a convenience.
    P.S. my bill before insurance was $38,000. No joke. I have good insurance so I didn't pay that but my friend who was induced, also for valid medical reasons? She ended up paying $10,000+ when all was said and done so it's also not cheap.
    But yes, OP. Go ahead and get induced because it will be convenient for you and you think birthing a "big" baby will be difficult.  

@J1DI am so sorry you (and friend) had to go through this. I seriously bet it drives you beyond BSC to see posts like this. 
  • @dragonfly321 eh, not really crazy exactly. More I kinda roll my eyes at the ignorance and think, "go ahead! Have fun with that! You'll learn."
    It's not like I knew beforehand how terrible they were, but that being said I do think it's more than a little ridiculous to willing (blindly) want a very invasive and risky procedure, without researching what it really entails, just for funsies or "convenience." Cause I didn't find being more or less tortured very convenient. Not a pleasant experience.
  • sarahufl said:
    Quick question for the group- exactly WHO is still comfortable this late in their pregnancies?!
    Exactly.
    I will gladly endure another 7 weeks of exhaustion, inability to sleep, and being generally uncomfortable to be sure my baby is fully developed.
  • sarahufl said:
    Quick question for the group- exactly WHO is still comfortable this late in their pregnancies?!
    Exactly.
    I will gladly endure another 7 weeks of exhaustion, inability to sleep, and being generally uncomfortable to be sure my baby is fully developed.
    I've got six weeks (possibly 7) to go. And I'm struggling. But it has literally NEVER dawned on me to ask to "get out of it" before that. You are GROWING A CHILD. A helpless child who depends on you to take the best care of it you can. And trying to basically kick it out before it's ready because you don't like it anymore is just disgusting.
  • Hi! FTM here :) I really want to ask my doctor to be induced at 39 weeks.  Aside from bad pelvic/back pain I don't have any real medical reasons to want this... But I have a few non medical:

hi Catherine,
    I was a 10 pounder too but my LO only weighed 7lb 13oz full term. My husband was a whooping 7lb 8oz and he was the smaller twin!
    My sister was 9lb and her LO was only 6lb 2oz full term. Needless to say we both had 3rd degree tears. I really dont think the size you were or your SO matter all that much and you can easily tear having a 5lb baby or not tear with a 10lb baby.