March 2016 Moms
Options

Expectant mother/small baby parking

I would love to know how many of you regularly see expectant mother/baby parking ?
I live in the state of Utah - I'm pretty sure that if you know anything about Utah...it's that people love having babies and the state has the highest birth rate in the country... So why can't I get an expectant mother/baby parking space at my local grocery store ? The only place that Ive seen these have been AT baby stores or I noticed one at RC Wiley. ( and in my native England they are common even though you never see pregnant women, only people with small children )
Here's the thing - I know most wouldn't need the space until well into month 8 but imagine being heavily pregnant and wrangling a toddler, heavily pregnant and sporting a huge injury ( like I am currently from surgery ) or maybe just being a new mom trying to scarily maneuver a newborn through the parking lot whilst people randomly blackout without looking. 
I'm intrigued to know who has these as a norm at local stores. I brought it up to my local grocery store manager (who has promised to put one stall in) after my last trip ended up in me having to park really far from the entrance and then I came back to find I'd been blocked in by another car who had parked so close that I couldn't get in.. Ended up climbing in via the passenger door and climbing over the middle console ( not easy with a big SUV in my current condition :) how many of you would appreciate these kind of things or feel they would just cause more issues ?? I'd love to know as I'm planning on getting on my soapbox and writing to all of my local grocery stores and the two main malls that are close by. 

Re: Expectant mother/small baby parking

• Options
    Meh, we have a couple around here but they are usually taken anyway. It's prime real estate. I do love them when I can use them though. That said, the spaces aren't like real handicap spots. They are closer to the door but the width is standard. You'd still find yourself struggling to squeeze out if someone parked to close to you. 
  • Options
    We have them but I sort of feel like they're ridiculous. We also have hybrid vehicle parking and 'carpool' parking spots close by - which means people just end up ignoring all of the signs and parking where they want anyway. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The parking situation in key west is insane so they would never have these spots. I do think of them now though at 8 months when I have to park so far away from the store and waddle my way up. :( 
  • Options
    None of the stores around me have them. If they did, I would use them, especially with all the snow and ice we have been getting.
  • Options
    We don't really have them here either.  I'm sure if we did, we have plenty of jerks who would park there without a second thought.
  • Options
    smushi said:
    We don't really have them here either.  I'm sure if we did, we have plenty of jerks who would park there without a second thought.
    Target has the most handicapped spots and every time I go there, they are all taken. I'm sure it'd be the same for pregnant spots. The thing is, hardly any of the cars have handicapped plates or rear view mirror tags. It pisses me off so bad that these lazy people take up spots for the disabled. I'm sure pregnant spots would go the same way. Though I sure could use one now a days. :(
  • Options
    Pretty much everyplace here that has dedicated parking has expectant mother spots-except in the downtown core where most businesses don't have their own parking. I'm in Halifax, NS Canada and I think a certain number of spaces are required. In general we find at least one free-I've had to use them since mid second trimester due to my hip injury and bump making walking painful (I walked with a cane till about 31 weeks and my hip started to heal more). We mostly see pregnant women in the spots, very rarely do we see women with babies.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • Options

Meh, I am personally of the opinion that being pregnant should not be considered a disability and I do not want to be treated as such. While I like the idea of up close parking, for me, it would be hypocritical and kind of cherry picking how people can and cannot coddle me since I would like to be treated like a normal person. I don't really see much of a difference in walking the extra 30 feet.

OP, I do feel for you. Being pregnant WHILE recovering from major surgery...that's hardcore. I know that they give out temporary handicap stickers - maybe you should ask your doctor about it? The worst they can say is no.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I also don't feel the need for expectant mom parking signs.  I went into Walmart the other day and they had 5 or 6 spots for wounded warriors. The problem is when you start classifying groups of people as more priveledged than others....where will it stop?  Personally I enjoy my car without door dings so I park far from anyone even at nearly 38 weeks. There's no "policing" of these stalls and whose to say that the 85 year old grandma doesn't deserve a closer spot in the pouring down rain more than a 12 weeks pregnant woman? What really needs to happen is less handing out of the handicap passes like its free candy. Legit injuries/diseases, yes. Overweight or self induced problems, no. 
  • Options
    I'm in Texas and I've really only seen them at some grocery stores and *maybe* the mall. I've only used a spot once when I was having a really rough day. I always figure (even now at 36 weeks) that someone else probably needs it more than I do. 
  • Options
    I don't feel a need for such a parking although it is nice to have those available as less people can fight over them, meaning better chance of finding a spot sooner (would be great if they have it at costco or something). With that said though, the only places I have seen them are at Buy Buy Baby and Babies R Us in the bay area, CA. 
  • Options
    I have only seen them at Giant and the hospital.  Generally, at Giant, most of them are still available and when you do see someone using them it's usually a mom with a kid or two.  That parking lot is absolutely crazy sometimes so I can definitely see why they put them in there.  The faster you can get kids away from all of the zooming cars the better.  I have used them every so often when I have had to go to the store.  When you're on bedrest but need something from the store, being able to park closer rather than the far end of the parking lot (it seems there is no in between) is helpful.  It at least helped me mentally in knowing I only had a little walking to do.  If they are taken though, it's no big deal.  I'm indifferent to whether or not they start putting them in other places.
  • Options
    oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited February 2016
    they don't have them here (although they do have some a few places where my parents live in a super populated metro area). 
    i don't see pregnancy as a disability either, but i wish they had special spots here, or that i had the nerve to ask for a temp HC pass or something (only for places where i have to park literally over a football field away from where i am about to have to walk my very-much-in-pain with SPD, heavily-pregnant ass all over a store pushing a cart full of heavy groceries and one toddler while also dragging along two other preschool-aged children in tow). specifically recalling one rainy day that we needed groceries and i had all the kids with me and had just been in that wreck and cussing out the jerk who went the wrong way to steal the close spot that i had been waiting for. (but also, i couldn't bring myself to ask for a temp HC pass either, bc having worked in ortho for so long, it was very frustrating to see the people who would abuse them.)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    The only two places I can think of here are Babies R Us and HyVee. HyVee has one spot for this and one day I was feeling particularly yucky and intended to use that spot if it was open. As I was approaching it some woman in a freaking mustang whipped into that spot. Never saw if she was actually pregnant or not, but I was pretty pissed as it seemed like she climbed out of her car pretty quickly while I was struggling out of mine. Much like @SarahFoley725 I tend to avoid it though because I feel like someone else needs it more than me. I've only actually used the spot twice I think.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    Yeah, Babies R Us, a  local grocery store, the hospitals and a few malls have those spots.  They are nice when you can use them.

My church has problems with people illegally parking in the handicapped spots too.
  • Options
    In CO I've only seen them at BRU and BBB and at the hospital. I've used the ones at BRU a few times mostly for the novelty of it. I'm a FTM and the little things excite me, what can I say lol. I do wish my hospital, which is where my OB is, had more of them. The complex is super busy and it always feels like I have to park 10min away because the spots are always full. That being said my hospital actually has free valet parking, but that just feels downright lazy to me lol. 

• Options
    I've seen them around town (mostly at grocery stores, baby store and clinics). I save them for the women who "need them". I can walk.
  • Options
    i honestly dont pay attention to whether or not stores/malls have special parking for pregnant women or moms. it's not something I've ever really been concerned about. 
  • Options
    I've also only seen them at Babies R Us. I have used the spots more than once, partly for the novelty like someone else said, and also because it's winter and hard to see icy patches in parking lots. I figure the less I'm walking in a parking lot, the better!
    It would be nice to see them more places though. 

My mom had a friend who had six kids (All very young and close together) and had parked in a handicap spot to run into the grocery store for something. This was in the 70s or 80s so not recently. She got a ticket, and when she went to court, she brought all 6 kids. The judge saw how frazzled she was and said something like, if any non handicapped person needed that spot, it was you. And let her off. Haha. I know it's wrong to take handicap spots, obviously, but the story always made me laugh ;)
  • Options
    I agree that pregnancy is not disability. But, I do wish they had these spots at the hospital. Walking the parking garage before and after every appointment is getting old. I cannot imagine doing it in labor.
  • Options
    Interesting and varied comments - I agree with the sentiment that pregnancy isn't an illness... Pre surgery I wouldn't have cared where I parked, but now being extra close makes a huge help. I will imagine that wrangling a new baby for the first few times at the supermarket I might appreciate it too. I do hope that they make mother and baby spots more common here for those that need them ! 
  • Options
    Our local grocery stores have them, not any of the chains, and the baby stores.  Honestly I've used them a hand full of times and only when I really had to go to the bathroom and I thought walking 50 more feet would cause me to wet myself.  I honestly feel like SarahFoley725 in that someone probably needs it more than I do.  They are nice but not a necessity.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Conky3000Conky3000 member
    edited February 2016

I live in Canada, a little bit outside of Toronto and I see these parking spaces pretty frequently now. :) I don't know if people use them when they shouldn't because there's no law in place for fines as far as I know (unlike disabled parking). I used one yesterday and there were about 4-6 spots designated, but they were at a location with a few different public health units, including a breastfeeding clinic so I think in that case it made perfect sense. I saw a couple walking with their five day old baby and the mom was moving slowly, so I assume she was recovering from a c section and I'm glad she could park close to the entrance!

• Options
    They must be much more common in Canada than in the states, I'm in Edmonton, Alberta and I see them all the time. I also work in retail and I'm still working at 38 weeks, they have four at my work so I never have an issue with getting one luckily.
  • Options
    oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited February 2016
    katy0990 said:
    I agree that pregnancy is not disability. But, I do wish they had these spots at the hospital. Walking the parking garage before and after every appointment is getting old. I cannot imagine doing it in labor.
    no doubt! our hospital does not have good parking; it is really ridiculous. but i will get dropped off at the door to the women's unit when in labor. the only time we ever parked and walked was for an induction with my second. first baby the doula parked the car after hubs and i got out, and last time the doula parked where the OBs park (she has some hospital privileges). definitely get dropped off!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    My local grocery store has parking spots for expectant mothers/retired people. Honestly, I'd rather see those spots given to "new mothers" or "moms with young kids" because I feel like they're more useful for a woman who is wrangling a heavy carseat or a cranky toddler. There is usually at LEAST one, (if not four) of those spots available when I shop on a weekday morning, so I don't think they're abused generally. I rarely use them though. I honestly prefer to walk a bit farther (unless it's pouring rain or something)... get a little exercise and fresh air. But I am glad they're available, it's a kind and thoughtful gesture and I don't see how it can hurt to offer them.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    katy0990 said:
    katy0990 said:
    no doubt! our hospital does not have good parking; it is really ridiculous. but i will get dropped off at the door to the women's unit when in labor. the only time we ever parked and walked was for an induction with my second. first baby the doula parked the car after hubs and i got out, and last time the doula parked where the OBs park (she has some hospital privileges). definitely get dropped off!
    Our hospital has valet parking if you are in labor.  No cost to you.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    That would be nice @bntfroggie