2nd Trimester
Options

How much weight have you gained?

How far along are you, and how much weight have you gained? I'm 15 weeks and I've lost 9 lbs now. I don't know why. I'm eating A LOT, always hungry and snack all day. I know every body is different but I was expecting to have gained at least a little bit of weight. But I wouldn't say I'm active either. Who knows maybe it'll all catch up with me soon ;)

Re: How much weight have you gained?

• Options
    msuzannahmsuzannah member
    edited February 2016
    I'm 21 weeks and haven't even made it back up to my pre pregnancy weight. I had HG though and lost a lot of weight in the 1st tri so right now I'm just hoping that I will gain it back!!

ETA: I started pregnancy under weight. If it is a concern is talk to your doctor about it for sure!
  • Options
    I'm 15w1d and I've lost a total of 1 pound! My weight has fluctuated over the last several weeks, sometimes gaining a pound, sometimes losing two. I weigh myself every Tuesday (my "ticker change" day) and as of yesterday, I'm one pound less than I was at 4 weeks, when I found out I was preggo.

Did you start out at a normal weight, or overweight? My Midwife told me she wanted me to gain 5-7 pounds by my 16 week appointment, so I'll probably get a lecture next week. But at this point in the pregnancy, I don't think it's THAT big of a deal if you haven't gained, unless you're underweight or close to underweight. 
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Down about 10 lbs.  I'm 15w2d.  No morning sickness early on, just baby taking everything.  All the weight loss was early on.  Weight has pretty much stabilized now and holding steady.    
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I lost about 10 pounds by this point. This time I have gained 7 pounds at 17 weeks. My Dr's were fine with it last time and fine this time. There is no normal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    Pinkgirl42Pinkgirl42 member
    edited February 2016
    @1faceinacrowd I'm 5'7" 1/2 and weighed 153 before, I am now* 142.

@stephweinstein Yes I've talked to my doctor he isn't concerned. I was just curious about everyone else.

@sarcasm101 Thank you, but I am not "comparing" myself to anyone. I am allowed to be curious about other people's pregnancies and body changes if they decide to share the information.
  • Options
    @bsckgb7 We are in the same boat, I had no morning sickness at all! It's crazy how some people respond differently throughout their pregnancies. Some people only gain 10 pounds the entire time, some people gain 70. Seems like every week I lose a pound, then I'll gain it back, then it's gone again- crazy body of mine lol. I guess we can enjoy it while it lasts, might catch up with us soon! :)
  • Options
    @Sarcasm101 If I was looking to compare, I would have stated whether or not I was worried. You are over analyzing my post and deciding what my intention was yourself, . My first sentence in my post stands, and I'm well aware that everyone is different- as I also stated in my post. I post a lot of these questions out of curiosity with this being the first pregnancy to make it this far. 

But again, thank you and I hope you have a wonderful day!
  • Options
    jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited February 2016
    Normal weight gain has a lot to do with what your bmi was prior to becoming pregnant. 
    Ive seen women loose 10 pounds and I've seen women gain 80 by the time they deliver.
    You can't compare. If your dr isn't concerned then I'm not sure why it matters what others have gained. 

If if you are curious I'd say most women ( IMO and going by what I see in the office) gain most going from the second tri into the third tri. 

Edit: because my sausage fingers hit post before I was done 
  • Options
    According to my doctor, weight loss in the first trimester is expected because of morning sickness but also because of changing habits. Did you drink wine or beer before? That could be the answer! Are you pushing more fresh food? That could be it? Are you more conscious about the choice of what you eat! That could be it! do you have an embryo sucking on your body to grow? That could be it too! 
    As long as the baby is growing fine, you are taking your vitamins and not dieting you are not gonna get a lecture. Doctor or nurses will just make sure you are doing what you need. If you want to help yourself you can had full fat milk or Greek yogurt in your diet. Have a portion of nuts daily, have 1 avocado a day. Those are all heathy options to help you gain good weight. 
    Im as tall as you and was at 128 when I started this pregnancy. I'm 17 weeks and my baby measure ahead 1 week and I gain only 3 pounds. Am I showing? Yep my bump made her appearance! Are my boobs bigger? Yep I gained 2 cup size. My body is clearly changing and you know what because Im growing a human and it's freaking awesome!
    good luck and another advice
    given by my doctor: stop weighting yourself! They'll check it for you every month! 
  • Options
    Normal weight gain or loss is completely relative and usually depends on your starting weight and BMI. Losing in the first trimester is normal for most women. I started at a healthy BMI and lost in the first trimester and even into the second. My midwife said that was great. She also said it'd be great if I'd gained or stayed the same. It's one of those things where it's all normal until a doctor says it's not. I was told the scale should head the other direction around 20 weeks, and right around 20 weeks it did start naturally heading the other way without my changing anything. My midwife says it's more important to eat extremely healthy, nutrient-dense food than to eat for weight gain and that overall health matters more than a number on a scale. You should talk to your doctor or health care provider, but at 15 weeks weight loss is normal.
  • Options
    There are like a million posts on this topic, at least 2 in the last week or 10 days. Do a search.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    My doctors are happy with where I'm at because the baby is growing right on target at the 50th percentile as of 2 weeks ago.  I had morning sickness early on that led to some lost weight which didn't turn around until 16 weeks.  Doctors said they really weren't concerned unless the baby wasn't growing well.  
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for answering the question :)

@sgoldberg257 Sorry, maybe I'm dumb but I don't really know what the percentile thing means. I hear it all the time but my doctor hasn't mentioned anything about my LO? Maybe he/she wasn't big enough to tell?

@lindsayleigh1989 My intention was not to offend anyone, so I do apologize that. Curiosity can kill a cat, and your comment does make sense on why it would be inappropriate, so again I apologize.

A polite reasoning like that goes a lot further than a catry answer that just makes people feel like crap.
  • Options
    Not trying to compare, but I AM glad to know other people are LOSING weight. I thought either a) my scale is lying to me, or b) something is wrong. But I read up on it a little and all signs point to "if your doctor isn't concerned about it, you shouldn't be either." 
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    I lost 20lbs with my first, 15 with my second, and 10 with my third and fourth. Gained it all back, plus some late second tri and third tri.  Its a safe bet to say it will catch up with you soon.  
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I seem to be in the minority.  I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 8 lbs.! I've been eating much more than usual to curb the nausea. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Options
    I had gained 9 lbs by week 13. Currently at 34 weeks, have gained 25 lbs total. Some gain a lot in the beginning, other pack on more weight toward the end. It varies so much by individual. 
  • Options
    I've gained 15lb at 20 weeks.  Normal BMI pre-pregnancy.  
    09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
    10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
    10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
    10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

• Options
    I haven't gained anything and I'm almost 19 weeks. I was maybe 15 lbs or so overweight pre pregnancy and my doctor isn't concerned. 
  • Options
    Sorry but why does it seem like losing weight during pregnancy is becoming trendy...thumbs down if it's intentional...not that anyone would admit that! I understand it happens on occasion but the majority of pregnant women stating this...Please!!!
     I'm 18 weeks with a beautiful round baby belly carrying 9 extra lbs AND proud of it! 
  • Options
    Started out on the plus size, lost 18 in my first trimester due to awful MS, and have gained back between 6-8 depending on the day. 
  • Options
    angelp143 said:
    Sorry but why does it seem like losing weight during pregnancy is becoming trendy...thumbs down if it's intentional...not that anyone would admit that! I understand it happens on occasion but the majority of pregnant women stating this...Please!!!
     I'm 18 weeks with a beautiful round baby belly carrying 9 extra lbs AND proud of it! 

**stuck in the box*** 
    Between some women changing their diet to be healthier and cutting out extra calorie items like wine with dinner, many women do lose some weight early on even without morning sickness.  My doctor has the approach of trying to just limit first tri weight loss because it's actually quite common.  Throw in being nauseous from the smell of food and/or throwing up after meals and you're going to lose weight without intending to. Be glad you didn't have to suffer through the hell that is not being able to be around any food for weeks straight.  

OP, percentile is a way of seeing where you measure against everyone else.  50th percentile means you're higher than 50% of people, 75th percentile would be above 75% people etc.  Since my baby was 50th percentile, by are right at average sized.  
  • Options
    @Natinat6 yes to everything you wrote ! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Hey ladies, I will chime in. I like hearing how different the weight loss is. The variety makes it easy to realize your body is going to do what it is going to do. I did not have any M/S so I gained 10 pounds in one month! Yikes, during my 14 week check up I cried looking at the scale. My midwife gave me some great dieting tips( dieting as in what types of things to eat). Prior to being pregnant certain healthy things would keep me full but now they made me hungry. She told me to focus on protein that did not have sugar with it. Greek yogurt with fruit was making me ravishingly hungry( I was sugar crashing). I had never experienced this in my life and now I am packing fruits and veggies to dip in hummus and peanut butter. Its helping a bunch! if anyone is trying to find ways to stay full while eating healthy... protein is your friend... and its hard when meat is gross lol. I wanted to say thank you for everyone who posted here. I have taken comfort in the variety of weights, even though I have been struggling with my weight. I was 121 when I conceived. I am currently 130.6 after adding back in exercise and healthy eating. That first trimester is rough even when you don't have morning sickness. It ruined my workout schedule. I was too exhausted to run 5 times a week. I'm still not running, but I'm doing zumba, yoga and T25. I just don't want to run inside since its winter. I hope to go back to it when it warms up.
  • Options
    @angelp143 From what I've been told MS isn't something that happens "on occasion". Most women end up with at least some sickness (be it heartburn, aversions, or full-on vomitting). This isn't rare- it's extremely common! If you were able to gain while puking multiple times a day good for you, but a lot of us had trouble with the weeks and weeks of nausea and are just starting to gain as it lets up. Everyone who has lost weight has just as much reason to feel beautiful and proud!!! It's pretty offensive to insinuate that some or any of the women here are losing weight on purpose.
  • Options
    @angelp143 Yeah, no. Don't take things so personally. Losing weight isn't suddenly trendy and definitely not intentional. So that was a ridiculous statement. But there might be more posts about weight loss here because people are surprised by it happening to them. And possible that people who gained more than they hoped aren't feeling so great about admitting that, and might be struggling with where they're at. I'm in the latter boat. I'm sure there is quite a balance out there among posters. Perspective, try it.

DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    @Katm89 I'm like you. I had a lot of nausea first tri, but what did that mean? I relied on carbs and other not so great foods that were easy enough to eat. I didn't have any vomiting though (and I am thankful, of course). I had zero energy so exercise went down the tubes. 

Now that I feel better, I'm trying to get back to healthier eating just by focusing on more fruits and veggies and good proteins/fats, like you. With some carbs, of course, but not ONLY carbs. And I've been exercising again, though that's still a struggle. We'll get back to our sense of "normal," don't worry!
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    Yea the 20lbs I lost during my first pregnancy was due to horrible morning sickness then the change in diet because of gallbladder attacks both of which landed me in the hospital several times. Definitely not intentional, definitely not trying to be trendy. 

Everyone's body reacts to being pregnant differently that is why there are so many different sized and shaped bumps.  It's also the reason some lose weight. Like @Natinat6 said, there is no right way to be pregnant. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @msuzannah you are my freaking hero! Thank you for posting that! You are not a failure in anyway shape or form! and your drive to fight for what's right  and continued support of others is awesome ! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing