Hospital with NICU? — The Bump

Hospital with NICU?

I am due with twins in june and have befun questioning whether i should be delivering at a hospital with a full NICU? I wanted to deliver at the same hospital i delivered my first but i would hate it if my babies had to go to a different hospital while i was stuck at the other hospital. I want to make sure i am doing everything right for the twins. Any advice/ experience? I have a doc appt next week so i can find out more about what their hospital offers in terms of NICU but i know its not like the other hospitals in Boston. 

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice! 

Re: Hospital with NICU?

  • Having given birth to twins in 2010 and am now pregnant with a second set, I would say you need to deliver at a hospital with a NICU.  You just never know if you will deliver early or even if at term that there will not be some complication.  I will have to give birth this time two hours away because that is the closest NICU but it is worth it to know my babies will have a NICU available if needed. 
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :) :)  7/23 :) :) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :) :)
    7/26 :) :) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :) :) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :) :) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :) :) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!


  • It sounds like you have yourself a pretty good argument as to why you should deliver at a hospital with a NICU.  I know if it were me I would considering all the possible scenarios!

    Me: 32, DH: 38
    Married 1/14/12
    NTNP Since 12/13, TTC Since 1/15
    BFP: 11/4/15  Found out we were having TWINS 12/9/15 EDD: 7/11/16 Born: 6/29/16
    Team Blue x2!!

    cartoon disney funny haters pixar

  • Loading the player...
  • I live in the mountains and our hospital does not have a NICU. Because of this, if I go into labor before 35 weeks I am automatically airlifted to the states Children's Hospital to make sure I have the NICU care available (standard procedure for our area). Maybe see if there is a cutoff date where your dr would feel ok about you delivering at the hospital you prefer?
  • kdebesche4 - 
    Thats a great point. I will ask my doctor on wednesday. Thank you! 
  • My doctor told me that I will have to go to one of the other hospitals in the state if i go super early, because they do not have a nicu. It's about 45 minutes away... i debated finding an OB there right away but I really like my doctor.. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I planned to switch to a hospital in the next town with a NICU. I was having an NST at the local hospital (33 weeks) and they decided I needed to be transferred and delivered that afternoon. Dr came in mid filling out transfer papers and said that we needed a section ASAP. Thankfully the girls at 3 lbs came out healthy enough to stay where we delivered. I do not think it would be a bad thing to transfer your care to a dr with privileges at a NICU hospital. I would do it now as they will most likely be born from April- June so you have time to familiarize your self with the new office and hospital.
  • My hospital where I am delivering does not have a NICU, but if I were to go before 35 weeks or if they were to find that something was wrong, I would be transferred immediately to a hospital where there is a NICU.  I worried about this too but then when I asked my doctor they told me that, and also seemed very calm about it, which made me feel better as well.  I bet after you talk to your doctor and hear what their plan would be you'll feel better too!
  • Had my doc appt today and confirmed with her that if i go into labor before 32 weeks or they find something that puts the babies at high risk, then i go to a Boston hospital with a level 3 NICU. Otherwise they have a NICU which they call the special care unit. I felt really comfortable with that answer so im going to plan to deliver there pending nothing comes up that makes tge babies higher risk. 
  • I wanted to deliver at the hospital with the best NICU in the area. After I was past a certain week, I thought I had certainly made it clear of needing any NICU time & thought it was a moot point. I delivered at 35w6d & my boys spent 8 & 11 days in the NICU. I was so glad to chose that hospital as the nurses & doc's are the best around. My opinion is to veer on the side of caution & choose a hospital with NICU. 
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • @chesterdoodle YGPM. I'm also located in MA - expecting twins in March.
  • I wholeheartedly agree with going to a hospital with a NICU.  My guys were born at 35+4 and the resident who checked my in said "great job, they won't need any NICU time".  As a surprise to us all my guy had tachypnea and needed to be in the NICU on CPAP and was there for 12 days.  I can't even begin to imagine being in a different hospital.  You are a hormonal mess as it is after your twins come and being in a different hospital than one or both of them would just be too much!  
  • I'm also a supporter of delivering at a hospital with a NICU. I delivered at 35 + 2, and my boys were in the NICU for 10 days. For what it's worth, I was really afraid of having time in the NICU but it ended up being much better than I expected. If you do end up with NICU time, there are some positives that come along with it...including extra help while you recover. Of course nobody *wants* NICU time, but there are silver linings if it does happen. Good luck!

    My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards