Multiples

Hospital with NICU?

I am due with twins in june and have befun questioning whether i should be delivering at a hospital with a full NICU? I wanted to deliver at the same hospital i delivered my first but i would hate it if my babies had to go to a different hospital while i was stuck at the other hospital. I want to make sure i am doing everything right for the twins. Any advice/ experience? I have a doc appt next week so i can find out more about what their hospital offers in terms of NICU but i know its not like the other hospitals in Boston. 

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice! 

Re: Hospital with NICU?

• Having given birth to twins in 2010 and am now pregnant with a second set, I would say you need to deliver at a hospital with a NICU.  You just never know if you will deliver early or even if at term that there will not be some complication.  I will have to give birth this time two hours away because that is the closest NICU but it is worth it to know my babies will have a NICU available if needed. 
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• It sounds like you have yourself a pretty good argument as to why you should deliver at a hospital with a NICU.  I know if it were me I would considering all the possible scenarios!

Me: 32, DH: 38
    Married 1/14/12
    NTNP Since 12/13, TTC Since 1/15
    BFP: 11/4/15  Found out we were having TWINS 12/9/15 EDD: 7/11/16 Born: 6/29/16
    Team Blue x2!!

cartoon disney funny haters pixar

• Loading the player...
  • I live in the mountains and our hospital does not have a NICU. Because of this, if I go into labor before 35 weeks I am automatically airlifted to the states Children's Hospital to make sure I have the NICU care available (standard procedure for our area). Maybe see if there is a cutoff date where your dr would feel ok about you delivering at the hospital you prefer?
  • kdebesche4 - 
    Thats a great point. I will ask my doctor on wednesday. Thank you! 
  • My doctor told me that I will have to go to one of the other hospitals in the state if i go super early, because they do not have a nicu. It's about 45 minutes away... i debated finding an OB there right away but I really like my doctor.. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I planned to switch to a hospital in the next town with a NICU. I was having an NST at the local hospital (33 weeks) and they decided I needed to be transferred and delivered that afternoon. Dr came in mid filling out transfer papers and said that we needed a section ASAP. Thankfully the girls at 3 lbs came out healthy enough to stay where we delivered. I do not think it would be a bad thing to transfer your care to a dr with privileges at a NICU hospital. I would do it now as they will most likely be born from April- June so you have time to familiarize your self with the new office and hospital.
  • My hospital where I am delivering does not have a NICU, but if I were to go before 35 weeks or if they were to find that something was wrong, I would be transferred immediately to a hospital where there is a NICU.  I worried about this too but then when I asked my doctor they told me that, and also seemed very calm about it, which made me feel better as well.  I bet after you talk to your doctor and hear what their plan would be you'll feel better too!
  • Had my doc appt today and confirmed with her that if i go into labor before 32 weeks or they find something that puts the babies at high risk, then i go to a Boston hospital with a level 3 NICU. Otherwise they have a NICU which they call the special care unit. I felt really comfortable with that answer so im going to plan to deliver there pending nothing comes up that makes tge babies higher risk. 
  • I wanted to deliver at the hospital with the best NICU in the area. After I was past a certain week, I thought I had certainly made it clear of needing any NICU time & thought it was a moot point. I delivered at 35w6d & my boys spent 8 & 11 days in the NICU. I was so glad to chose that hospital as the nurses & doc's are the best around. My opinion is to veer on the side of caution & choose a hospital with NICU. 
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • @chesterdoodle YGPM. I'm also located in MA - expecting twins in March.
  • I wholeheartedly agree with going to a hospital with a NICU.  My guys were born at 35+4 and the resident who checked my in said "great job, they won't need any NICU time".  As a surprise to us all my guy had tachypnea and needed to be in the NICU on CPAP and was there for 12 days.  I can't even begin to imagine being in a different hospital.  You are a hormonal mess as it is after your twins come and being in a different hospital than one or both of them would just be too much!  
  • I'm also a supporter of delivering at a hospital with a NICU. I delivered at 35 + 2, and my boys were in the NICU for 10 days. For what it's worth, I was really afraid of having time in the NICU but it ended up being much better than I expected. If you do end up with NICU time, there are some positives that come along with it...including extra help while you recover. Of course nobody *wants* NICU time, but there are silver linings if it does happen. Good luck!

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!