August 2015 Moms

Tax refund

So I got my refund back and I claimed my daughter. My boyfriend (her father) wants half of the refund. I would be okay with it but I do a lot for her. I watch her all day when he's at work (so I don't get that many hours) so we don't have to pay for daycare, I buy her food, diapers, toys, clothes, bottles, nipples, ect. I make her doctors appointment and bring her to the doctors, and go to last minute ER trips. I get her health insurance. I do so much more than he does and I think it's fair, since he doesn't do that much that I deserve the full refund. I'm not saying he's a bad father but I don't think it's fair that I do all that and he gets half. Am I being unfair and unreasonable? Or am I right for feeling this way? 

Re: Tax refund

• Do you provide majority of the financial assets, as well as just the time and trips involved? If it was me, and I was the primary care provider. I.E. Financially, emotionally, physically responsible over 70% then it's my money. But I'm pretty selfish about $.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Tell him it's all going towards her anyway so there's nothing to split.
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay for everything half and half (rent, electricity, ect). We don't ever go on trips and so fourth. But when it comes to our daughter I'm the primary care giver and do almost everything. 
  • Since you already filed and claimed her, I would keep the refund and sit down with your boyfriend and come up with an agreement for future years.  Like, maybe you claim her in odd years and he claims her in even years. Or going forward, you can keep a spreadsheet of the things he buys for your daughter and the things you buy for your daughter and agree that whoever provides more in the way of her support gets to claim her on taxes for that year.  It's a little nit-picky, but if you anticipate that this type of thing will happen every year, it might be good to have a structured way of handling it.
  • My thing is it's not fair for him to be able to claim Peyton and the place as well
  • Is 'the place' a house? I the house is in his name, then of course he gets to claim it. If he is makin the larger contributions time/money/whatever then he should get to claim it. If he isn't then he doesn't.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I like what PP said. If you really want to be fair then take turns claiming her, that's what a lot of divorced couples do. Other factors go into calculating your refund, I don't think it's fair for him to say you owe him half of yours regardless of who pays for what else.
  • im the provider for the household, and instead of splitting the money or keeping it all, the money made from claiming her is going into an investment account for her.  Technically it's her money...