Cloth Diapering
Options

FTM - AIO vs. Pocket

Hello!  We are starting our diaper collection.  We ordered a pack of pockets and a pack of AIO's from Amazon and they just came in .  I am confused because, they look identical.  Both packs came with one soaker per diaper; one set is bamboo and the other is charcoal/microfiber.  Is there a benefit to AIO over pocket or are these actually the same thing like I am seeing here? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

TTC #1 (this round) since 8/2014 
Off and On TTC since 2004
BFP #1 3/14/04 - MC 5/09/04

Re: FTM - AIO vs. Pocket

• Options
    Is the soaker attached to one set of diapers? An AIO should be attached, and a pocket should not be attached. They are not the same thing, but function similarly once a pocket has been stuffed. Many people like pockets because you can make them more absorbent by using multiple/a different insert. AIO can, however, be perfectly absorbent and have the highest ease of use. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The soaker is not attached. I thought that was the difference, but the included soaker is removable just like the pockets. Now that we have these we may not even do the AIO's. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

TTC #1 (this round) since 8/2014 
    Off and On TTC since 2004
    BFP #1 3/14/04 - MC 5/09/04

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ended up thinking the same...once I saw the aio vs pockets, I opted for the pockets. 

They're much cheaper and I use prefolds with a snappi so one cover lasts almost the whole day while I change the prefold out. 
  • Options
    Trekkier said:
    The soaker is not attached. I thought that was the difference, but the included soaker is removable just like the pockets. Now that we have these we may not even do the AIO's. 
    Honestly I would probably return them because that's not an AIO and they shouldn't be called/sold as such. 
  • Options
    I agree an AIO has the absorbency built-in while a pocket does not.  I had a couple china cheapy AIO that were essentially a pocket diaper with an insert sewn to the lining.  I actually took a seam ripper and carefully removed the insert to turn it into a pocket due to how hard it was to dry the insert with it sewn in that way.

Nicki's and Imagine brand AIOs have snap in inserts so I'm not sure why they call them AIOs instead of AI2.

If they're not what you ordered, I would contact the seller for a partial refund if you like them and there was a price difference between the two types - assuming from the same seller.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    I agree an AIO has the absorbency built-in while a pocket does not.  I had a couple china cheapy AIO that were essentially a pocket diaper with an insert sewn to the lining.  I actually took a seam ripper and carefully removed the insert to turn it into a pocket due to how hard it was to dry the insert with it sewn in that way.

Nicki's and Imagine brand AIOs have snap in inserts so I'm not sure why they call them AIOs instead of AI2.

If they're not what you ordered, I would contact the seller for a partial refund if you like them and there was a price difference between the two types - assuming from the same seller.
    I actually wonder this about Nicki's too. But I do like their AIOs, so I guess I'm not really complaining. 
  • Options
    I prefer an AIO because you can add extra liners if needed (by just sitting them on top) and they are way easier to use since the insert is attached. I use Tots Bots Easyfits, and when I'm feeling lazy I don't even stuff them. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have to admit that I purchased a set of newborn Happy Flute diapers off eBay and they were very inexpensive. They are AIO's and I'm in love with them. The work the same as a disposable (except they snap) and all I do is throw them in the wash, then the dryer. They take forever to dry, that's the only drawback. Not all Happy Flutes are the same. They are made to order and you have to specify the features you want. I found a lady who sells them with all the features and I'm super happy. My sister gave me her bum genius Velcro newborn diapers and I don't like them. I don't want to handle poop, snapping a pre fold on a wiggle worm who likes to stick his feet in his crotch (think diaper cream and poop everywhere). I just felt like I needed 2 more hands to make all that work. But to each his own.