November 2015 Moms

Decrease in formula

LO is 11 weeks and almost 12 lbs. so for his weight he should be eating about 6oz per bottle. He was eating 5.5 oz per bottle just fine and then all of a sudden the last few days he's only wanted 4, but is eating the same amount of times per day. My books say babies can go through spurts of eating less but it doesn't really say how many days is normal etc. Just wondering if anyone else is or has gone through this. 

Re: Decrease in formula

• How much is he drinking total?  Looks like 25-36 oz total for two months is the recommendation.  I definitely wouldn't worry if he's still in that range. If you'r really concerned, you could squeeze in another feeding, could just be he's full after 4 oz.

• Since I mostly breast feed (and the one bottle we use on occasion no longer clearly shows the ounce markers thanks to lots of washes), it's hard to tell but it seems like in the past few days DS has eaten less, too. For him it's because of a cold that makes eating difficult. And on top of that he may be teething which also makes him uncomfortable.

His output is still good (especially his poopsplosion diaper this morning that felt like it weighed a solid pound and covered his pajamas in poop), so I'm not overly worried. He's maybe had one less wet diaper a day but he's still getting 5-6 a day so it's all good. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think he is just around 25. Diaper output is still good. His last 2 bottles today he ate his normal amount again. I'm wondering if he picked up on the stress in the house. We had a sick family member that weighed heavily on both me and my sister who watches him during the day. 
  • My LO is 12 weeks today and there is no way she could ever eat a 5 or 6 oz bottle. We make her bottles 4oz and 80% of the time she doesn't finish the last half oz. She eats about every 2.5 to 3 hours. Sleeps 8 hrs at night.  My pedi was very impressed by her growth at her checkup. I think as long as your LO is having enough wet diapers and is growing he will be fine! Oh by the way she is on breast milk and formula. 
  • LO is 11 weeks and almost 12 lbs. so for his weight he should be eating about 6oz per bottle. He was eating 5.5 oz per bottle just fine and then all of a sudden the last few days he's only wanted 4, but is eating the same amount of times per day. My books say babies can go through spurts of eating less but it doesn't really say how many days is normal etc. Just wondering if anyone else is or has gone through this. 
    His weight does not dictate hoe much he should or should not eat. My LO is 14 weeks and just under 14 lb, he drinks 4oz sometimes 5 oz per bottle. He hasn't been taking as much since his reflux has improved.
  • GoogleMD said:
    LO is 11 weeks and almost 12 lbs. so for his weight he should be eating about 6oz per bottle. He was eating 5.5 oz per bottle just fine and then all of a sudden the last few days he's only wanted 4, but is eating the same amount of times per day. My books say babies can go through spurts of eating less but it doesn't really say how many days is normal etc. Just wondering if anyone else is or has gone through this. 
    His weight does not dictate hoe much he should or should not eat. My LO is 14 weeks and just under 14 lb, he drinks 4oz sometimes 5 oz per bottle. He hasn't been taking as much since his reflux has improved.
    I thought they should be eating two ounces for every pound, or did I just make that up? My LO is 15 weeks and at her last weigh in was 11 pounds. She's only ever taken a 5 ounce bottle twice. She usually eats about 3 ounces, but eats frequently about every 2-2.5 hours. When we first began bottle feeding she would eat 4 ounces and eat every 1.5-2 hours. The pedi said she was making up for lost time as she wasn't getting enough previously. She gained a pound in 5 days! It went on like that for a couple of weeks. So it's very possible that your LO just needed more before. I would trust him to know what he needs.
  • Think about yourself when it comes to eating.  Are you the same degree of hungry every meal time?  For me, some days a light meal will fill the hungry hole and other days I could throw the entire contents of the fridge down it and still be hungry.  It's the same with my little ones.  Bridget takes anywhere between 3 - 6oz depending on how hungry she is. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Think about yourself when it comes to eating.  Are you the same degree of hungry every meal time?  For me, some days a light meal will fill the hungry hole and other days I could throw the entire contents of the fridge down it and still be hungry.  It's the same with my little ones.  Bridget takes anywhere between 3 - 6oz depending on how hungry she is. 
    That's a really good analogy.