2nd Trimester
Options

FTM & have question about cleaning animal bites

bubbleybri17bubbleybri17 member
edited February 2016 in 2nd Trimester
Hello, I'm a FTM @ 21 weeks, and my cat had bitten me today where it had punctured into my skin but didn't bleed. Just got a little red around it but that's about it. (I've always had sensitive skin from animals anyways) She's mostly an indoor cat but goes out for a couple minutes here or there. I was wondering if it was okay that I had quickly used a drop of rubbing alcohol on the bite since I don't have neosporin? Then found peroxide like an hour later and cleaned it with that.. Will my baby be okay since I used this stuff to clean it? It all happened so fast I just wanted to get it disinfected, and of course since this is my first baby I worry about everything!

Re: FTM & have question about cleaning animal bites

• Options
    Oh okay! Do you know the signs of infection? Would it get all swollen or something?I've never had anything get infected like that so I don't know what to look out for.
  • Options
    I don't want to scare you, but cat bites are serious. Watch for a red line going up your forearm, if that happens go to the hospital right away. Pregnant or not, it's important to have a cat bite looked at because like pp said, cats mouths have a lot of bacteria. Hence "cat scratch fever" which can also be caused by bites. If you notice any swelling or pain, or if it starts to look infected at all, call your doctor. Also iodine and water is suggested to soak it in to disinfect it.
    I was bit a couple years ago, well before I got pregnant, and my puncture wounds were deep and bled a lot. I went straight to an immediate care facility and they soaked them and cleaned them out. I ended up needing an antibiotic, my hand swelled up so much I couldnt bend my fingers and was warm to the touch. 
    Good luck, and I hope it doesn't get worst for you. If it does, don't hesitate to call your doctor. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely agree that cat bites are not anything to mess with. Your child is fine with you using rubbing alcohol and peroxide on your wounds. Just so you know, the use of peroxide on sounds is not suggested anymore as it kills off healthy tissue as well. 

You should consider calling your OB in the morning to ask them how to proceed after a cat bite.