Breastfeeding

Don't Want to Stop But...

basschick89basschick89 member
edited February 2016 in Breastfeeding
Hello, everyone. I am desperate for a little advice. My 4 month old has been BF and FF since we got home from the hospital. He lost more weight than the pediatrician was comfortable with while EBF so supplementing was encouraged. I was crushed since I was unable to BF my first child due to low supply/weight loss as well. Okay, so for the past 3 1/2 months we have had a pretty good feeding relationship. Baby will nurse and then I will follow up with formula. He has always needed more formula than breastmilk so it has seemed like I was supplementing with breastmilk, but I still felt it was important to continue nursing. I pump as well, but I never get more than two ounces per day (pumping after every feeding and once in the middle of the night). Now, he is rejecting the breast almost every feeding and only wanting formula. He has done this a couple of times and he always goes back to the "normal" nursing/formula routine. My question is...should I just stick with formula and stop BFing?  I don't want to put my selfish reasons above his wellbeing and I don't want him to experience any angst with eating. It makes me so unbelievably sad when I think about "giving up," almost like I'm mourning something. Is that weird? He is just our last baby and I so wanted that bond and relationship, but I just don't know if I should just give in to the formula? I'm sorry this is so long. Thank you so so much in advance to anyone who reads this and can offer some help. 

Re: Don't Want to Stop But...

• Stick with it. We are in the same boat DD is 11 weeks formula and bfed since the beginning. My DD sometimes fights the breast so I keep at it but then usually give in to formula at that feed and then pump. I am happy to continue to BF her for however long we can.
  • Sometimes babies get finicky with nursing. At one point, my daughter would only take a bottle of my milk, wouldn't nurse. I felt like a dairy cow since I was always pumping. I didn't like it but I kept trying to latch her. Her lil strike didn't last too long. Then when she turned about 18 months, I wasn't making enough so we would give her a bottle of coconut milk (dairy allergy) and I would 'top her off' with nursing to get her to sleep. I nursed her for another 6 months, until she turned two and she self weaned since I was 6 months pregnant. One thing that I found that prolonged nursing was that I always kept her at a slow flow nipple to keep it as close to nursing as possible, even at 2 yrs old.

What I guess I'm saying is, if its something that you feel dedicated about, try different options and stay patient. There's nothing wrong with 'topping him off' to keep the breastfeeding relationship going. Your not selfish. Your baby is eating enough and he's not starving. Stay strong, nursing isn't easy but you've gotten this far mama!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much for your awesome advice! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. You're right, Nyssana, it is so much harder than I thought it would be but it's definitely worth it! I'm keeping my son at a slow flow nipple as well and I'm glad to know you did and that it helped. Again, thank you both so much! 
  • If he is refusing the breast try a breast shield. My LO seems to transition better I am guessing cause the rubber part? I only have to use it in the beginning of the nursing session then she seems to catch on well. 
  • I hadn't thought of that, kelseyg002! I'll look into those for sure. I had only heard things about nipple confusion,etc. when using shields but it can't get much worse than it is right now, right? Nothing to lose! 
  • I don't suggest a shield this late in the game. My DD faught the shield also.