1st Trimester
Options

Sonogram- which side is the head?

Ththis is a silly question but somehow I forgot to ask which side of baby is the head and which side are the feet! Myself and my best friend think left, boyfriend thinks right. What do you think?!

Re: Sonogram- which side is the head?

• Options
    not a clue, as I (& basically everyone here) are not trained to read these. you should spend more time lurking around a bit. asking people to read sonograms doesn't usually go well on TB. i would ask your doctor on your next visit.
  • Options
    I have literally no idea. How would we know if you don't?  I'm a little shocked you didn't ask your technician, nor did he/she mention it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    Left is the head. 

• Options

Looks like the head on the left to me. Congratulations!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    eightynineeightynine member
    edited February 2016
    I have literally no idea. How would we know if you don't?  I'm a little shocked you didn't ask your technician, nor did he/she mention it.
    Perhaps I was wrapped up in the very exciting moment of seeing my baby for the first time.  Im sorry I didn't clarify that I am aware you are all not sonographers. I thought some might enjoy contributing. It's too bad but on every type of message board there seems to be a few people always on the hunt for a reason to post a rude reply. If a post offends or annoys you, in the future id suggest simply not responding. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    kyraaD said:
    not a clue, as I (& basically everyone here) are not trained to read these. you should spend more time lurking around a bit. asking people to read sonograms doesn't usually go well on TB. i would ask your doctor on your next visit.
    I guess not!  No idea why this is offensive to some but thanks for the heads up. I know you're not trained to read these; but many posters may have several children and might be able to recognize tiny baby parts. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    lissvarna said:
    Perhaps I was wrapped up in the very exciting moment of seeing my baby for the first time.  Im sorry I didn't clarify that I am aware you are all not sonographers. I thought some might enjoy contributing. It's too bad but on every type of message board there seems to be a few people always on the hunt for a reason to post a rude reply. If a post offends or annoys you, in the future id suggest simply not responding. 
    Yea, you don't really get to dictate how people respond on internet forums. Nothing about this posters reply was rude, either.

Pro-tip: Things that are exciting for you are not as exciting to internet strangers. As PP said, sonogram posts don't tend to go over too well here...better to share these things with family and friends or (maybe) your birth month board.

Edited for clarity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lissvarna said:
    kyraaD said:
    I guess not!  No idea why this is offensive to some but thanks for the heads up. I know you're not trained to read these; but many posters may have several children and might be able to recognize tiny baby parts. 
    it's not that it's offensive, it's just pointless, honestly. none of us know what body part is what (especially on these early ones) or what sex your child will be, regardless of how many children someone may have. it's generally a good idea to ask your doctor or US tech any questions you may have regarding sonograms instead of the Internet. that way you'll get an accurate answer from someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • Options
    Snarkasaurus, her post was definitely rude. 

Kyra- well, of course it would be better to ask a technician! But I did not; so I thought, why not post in here. It was my impression that that's what these boards were for-- serious questions, silly questions (like, which side is the head?!) and sharing pregnancy experiences. 

Of course I cannot control other posters. I just can't relate to being a jerk to strangers for really no good reason, that's all. If I see a post I'm not interested in, I just move on. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ecwk said:
    lissvarna said:

Kyra- well, of course it would be better to ask a technician! But I did not; so I thought, why not post in here. It was my impression that that's what these boards were for-- serious questions, silly questions (like, which side is the head?!) and sharing pregnancy experiences. 

Of course I cannot control other posters. I just can't relate to being a jerk to strangers for really no good reason, that's all. If I see a post I'm not interested in, I just move on. 
    No, her post was not rude. If you equate her post to rudeness you need to toughen up a little. Not saying that to be "rude" but if you lurk around here you will see that frank, matter of fact answers are the norm. If you're offended by this then maybe a different forum would suit you better.
     On the other hand, you could always opt to follow your own advice and "move on" from a post that isn't important to you. 

ETA I have no idea where the head is. 
    Well, that's certainly not the way I talk to people, in "real life" or online. I don't go out of my way to pass judgement (I.e. She's "shocked" I didn't ask the tech.) Guess we have differing opinions. 
  • Options
    ecwk said:
    lissvarna said:

No, her post was not rude. If you equate her post to rudeness you need to toughen up a little. Not saying that to be "rude" but if you lurk around here you will see that frank, matter of fact answers are the norm. If you're offended by this then maybe a different forum would suit you better.
     On the other hand, you could always opt to follow your own advice and "move on" from a post that isn't important to you. 

ETA I have no idea where the head is. 
    This. If you legitimately think that her post was rude because she used the word "shocked," then this probably isn't the place for you. The ladies here are frank and honest and we don't blow glitter up each others butts. It's not for everyone.
  • Options
    kyraaDkyraaD member
    edited February 2016
    * Removed for TOU Violation *
  • Options
    Apparently politeness is akin to "blowing glitter up each others butts" - yikes! If there's a way to close this thread, that would be great! 
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited February 2016
    lissvarna said:
    I think you need to just shut it down.  Your craptastic response to a sincere comment like "I'm a little shocked you didn't ask your technician, nor did he/she mention it" is either an indication that either your hormones need to be adjusted, or you're just a genuine douche.  
    To reply directly to you: no, my post was not rude whatsoever.  I understand a lot is going through your head during a sonogram, but your technician should have offered more information, as I said.  There's nothing rude about being 'shocked' you didn't think to ask some of the most important questions during your appointment.
    You are evidently far too sensitive for an online forum.  I hope you're able to find more 'helpful' people elsewhere.  I apologize we weren't able to answer your question in the manner in which you expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I explained in my original post that I forgot to ask. I don't think it's necessary to say you're shocked I forgot to ask - and I find the implication behind the use of the worked "shocked" to be rude. I'm not a douche. I don't know how disliking your comment makes me one. The other thing I find rude is the criticism about posting this in the first place. ("How would we know?") because I thought this was a place where expectant mothers could post whatever is on their mind-- apparently I was wrong about that, as I'm learning. All of these opinions of mine are valid. Stop acting like I'm ridiculously sensitive. I just don't like when people are impolite. That is not unreasonable. 
  • Options

It's a girl! Wait, what was the question?

OP- Calm down and lurk a bit before you go getting super defensive. This is a great place for support and for connecting with other people going through what you are. The reason why these posts don't go over very well is because if you had lurked around for a bit, read a few responses and had gotten a general feel for the environment here, you'd have realized that these types of posts come off as very AW-ish and pointless as 1. WE have no idea how to read a sonogram because we're not sonographers and 2) Even if I was one and could tell you I likely wouldn't risk my medical license giving out medical information on the interwebz. Stick around for awhile, brush this off as your one faux pas and move on.

• Options

WE have no idea how to read a sonogram because we're not sonographers and 2) Even if I was one and could tell you I likely wouldn't risk my medical license giving out medical information on the interwebz. Stick around for awhile, brush this off as your one faux pas and move on.

I know; I was really trying to ask a fun question. I'm completely aware no one could know for sure!

But seriously, could someone tell me how to get this thread closed? I've looked on the site but can't figure out if there's a way. My opinion is that those posts were rude; it's totally OK that people disagree-- I'd just rather end the discussion about it at this point. I will be super careful about what I post in the future. Thank you in advance if anyone can help!
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited February 2016
    lissvarna said:
    I explained in my original post that I forgot to ask. I don't think it's necessary to say you're shocked I forgot to ask - and I find the implication behind the use of the worked "shocked" to be rude. I'm not a douche. I don't know how disliking your comment makes me one. The other thing I find rude is the criticism about posting this in the first place. ("How would we know?") because I thought this was a place where expectant mothers could post whatever is on their mind-- apparently I was wrong about that, as I'm learning. All of these opinions of mine are valid. Stop acting like I'm ridiculously sensitive. I just don't like when people are impolite. That is not unreasonable. 
    If you would stop acting "ridiculously sensitive", I wouldn't make that comment.  You are completely free to post whatever is on your mind all you desire, but sorry, you don't get to dictate the responses of others.  It wasn't necessary for you to insist to myself, and other posters, about how "rude" my response was.  No one else seemed to think it was rude (because it sincerely wasn't), so maybe....it's just you. 

As far as the simple statement goes...how would we know???  Well, factually, we are not trained professionals, and if your technician wasn't able to provide you with this information I don't know how you expect us to give you an accurate answer.  That's "unreasonable".

If you're offended by an innocent comment about being shocked you didn't think to ask something that important at your appointment, well sorry, tough shit.  Why are you not "shocked" your technician didn't explain it to you?     

We are all really, actually, quite helpful and I've got some amazing feedback and responses from the ladies on this forum, but replying with aggression to something unwarranted doesn't usually go well. 

• Options
    edited February 2016
    lissvarna said:
    If you would stop acting ridiculously sensitive, I wouldn't refer to you as such.  You are completely free to post whatever is on your mind all you desire, but sorry, you don't get to dictate the responses of others.  It wasn't necessary for you to insist to myself, and other posters, about how "rude" my response was.  No one else seemed to think it was rude (because it sincerely wasn't), so maybe....it's just you. 

As far as the simple statement goes...how would we know???  Well, factually, we are not trained professionals, and if your technician wasn't able to provide you with this information I don't know how you expect us to give you an accurate answer.  That's "unreasonable".

If you're offended by an innocent comment about being shocked you didn't think to ask something that important at your appointment, well sorry, tough shit.  Why are you not "shocked" your technician didn't explain it to you?     

OMG- this is getting ridiculous. I was not looking for 100% accurate medical advice about the sonogram! I thought it was a FUN post and perhaps people with previous experience looking at sonogram photos would like to guess. for FUN!  I didn't expect "how would we know?" posts because it was just a light-hearted thing; I actually thought some might enjoy guessing, and those who didn't simply wouldn't respond. I hope I'm making the intention of the post clear- and seriously- I wish this could be locked/closed/whatever asap.

• Options
    lissvarna said:
    lissvarna said:
    If you would stop acting ridiculously sensitive, I wouldn't refer to you as such.  You are completely free to post whatever is on your mind all you desire, but sorry, you don't get to dictate the responses of others.  It wasn't necessary for you to insist to myself, and other posters, about how "rude" my response was.  No one else seemed to think it was rude (because it sincerely wasn't), so maybe....it's just you. 

OMG- this is getting ridiculous. I was not looking for 100% accurate medical advice about the sonogram! I thought it was a FUN post and perhaps people with previous experience looking at sonogram photos would like to guess. for FUN!  I didn't expect "how would we know?" posts because it was just a light-hearted thing; I actually thought some might enjoy guessing, and those who didn't simply wouldn't respond. I hope I'm making the intention of the post clear- and seriously- I wish this could be locked/closed/whatever asap.

just stop responding & the thread will die down fairly quickly. you cant close/delete a thread once you've started it. only admins have that power & will close a thread if they see fit.
  • Options
    You can't close a thread. The only thing you really can do is stop commenting and then the thread will get buried. 
  • Options
    I'm failing to see how anyone that responded was "rude." I do however find it rude to join a forum and NOT follow the terms of use which require you to lurk.  If you had done what was asked in the TOU you would've known immediately how this NOT fun.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ^but I have been lurking for several weeks-?
  • Options
    kyraaD said:
    lissvarna said:
    lissvarna said:

just stop responding & the thread will die down fairly quickly. you cant close/delete a thread once you've started it. only admins have that power & will close a thread if they see fit.
    Gotcha; thank you for letting me know. I'd been searching for a way to no avail. This will be my last post on the thread & hopefully others can let it die also. 
  • Options

This thread has been closed to new posts as a result of the shift in topic. To find threads regarding (this topic), we encourage you to use the search function to post to an active thread or start a new discussion.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"