TTC after 35
Options

Newly Trying at 35, Concern about Zika

Hi Everyone, I am newly back to the bump. I have an amazing 3 year old daughter, and have recently gone off of birth control.  While we had previously thought we'd be one and done, my husband has decided he really wants a second child, and I'm open-minded.  I will be 36 for most of the pregnancy, so I'm already concerned about getting a healthy baby.  That, and I'm a highly anxious person anyway.
I want to know how concerned everyone is about trying to conceive while the Zika virus is spreading.  I've been reading everything I can, and it seems like there are mixed feelings about it's affect in the continental US.  Some say we'll be fine, and some say pandemic... and I'm a person who is often bit by mosquito and is regularly around family who travels back and forth to South America.
For me, it's now or never on baby #2, personal choice.  But I am concerned about the timing due to Zika. 
What does everyone else think?

Re: Newly Trying at 35, Concern about Zika

• Options
    Hello and welcome!  I, too, am a tad bit concerned only because mosquitoes love me.  But who knows how long it may take for this to truly come to the U.S., if it in fact does.  Most cases I believe are from having contact with someone who has been to South America (so I understand your concern), and not that they were bitten here in the U.S.  So I'm not overly concerned for the moment.  I just hope you're allowed to wear mosquito repellent when pregnant!
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck! As far as the virus goes try not to worry too much. Just take precautions when it comes to mosquitoes. It may not even effect the US as much as predicted. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DEET is a very effective mosquito repellent, and scientists say that it's safe for pregnant women.  I was planning to avoid it, though, because I don't always trust that sort of thing.  But at this point, if I get pregnant, I will use it.  (I live in tropical GA, where I get 3 or 4 mosquito bites just going to my car every day.)
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Welcome! 
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome... I live in the south so
    zika  is a big concern for sure and understand your fears. I'm right there with you! 
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    I just got back from a resort in Mexico and I managed to avoid mosquitos. I kept myself lathered in lemon eucalyptus and DEET on my commonly but areas and it worked. It will be annoying to have to apply everyday if the virus makes it up here when I'm pregnant, but it's doable. Keep in mind that not every mosquito is going to the virus. In fact, very few probably will. If and when it gets to the US, local governments will start spraying and implementing mosquito control plans. You may want to avoid camping in the woods while pregnant and other outside activities where you can get bitten, but the US is far ahead of the game compared to Brazil. Try not to worry!
  • Options
    Welcome!!  I'm not super concerned about it, but I also live in Oregon.  I do have a business trip to Orlando in May though and heard that some Florida counties have cases.  Even though I believe all the people in Florida who have it got it from out of the country, it's still a little unsettling.  Depending on how bad it is, I'll either cancel my trip or just not go outside.  I'm staying in the conference hotel and won't have much time for sightseeing anyway 
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome!