1st Trimester

When did you register?

I went in to Buy Buy Baby today to buy a gift for a friend of mine and started to get overwhelmed by all the aisles of stuff we are going to need for our first. When did you start registering for all the things you needed? We aren't finding out the sex of our baby, which is when I *think* most expectant parents would start to register. I'm currently 12 weeks. Thanks for your help! 

Re: When did you register?

• We created a registry in store around 17-18 weeks. Before then, I would just keep a note going in my iPhone to keep track of product recommendations from other parents so that I wouldn't forget. 

As far as getting overwhelmed - my advice would be to not consider EVERY option before you. I found some blogs I liked and compared their top choices before choosing certain things like bottles, baby carriers, play yards, etc. 
    A lot of people recommend reading Baby Bargains to help with this as well. 
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • i didn't do a registry until i was 32 weeks, which was almost 2 weeks ago. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We started ours after we found out the sex at 16 weeks. It was great to have as a tool because people gave us lots of hand me downs so we were able to add and subtract as we went along. 
  • KelBelleBabyKelBelleBaby member
    edited January 2016
    I started around 14-15 weeks (found out sex early due to genetic bloodwork) but only little things like the bottles I wanted to use. I did the rest and completed my registry 4 weeks ago at 24 weeks. 

If if you are feeling overwhelmed take things one step at a time. Look online for a checklist and focus on one thing, then move on to the next. I felt overwhelmed as a FTM too, but taking it one thing at a time made it much more enjoyable. 

ETA: Since you are 12 weeks, start looking at things now and you will have plenty of time to sort it all out. 
  • We did ours at 16 weeks about a month before we found out the sex. I wanted all my stuff to be neutral anyway since that's more my style and you typically don't include clothing on registry. 
    As for deciding what to register for, I got some advice from other moms and then took my mother with me a few times before we made the registry and then made final decisions based on my needs and budget. 
    It was like a 6 hour process the day we did it and I was constantly editing it until my shower invites went out 
  • Aftet the mid point US, so make sure all was ok.
  • We went and registered the weekend we found out what we were having.  So that was at 20 weeks.  Before that time, I just pinned things that I knew I'd want on my Baby board on Pinterest.  
  • Creating a Pinterest board is a great idea. We haven't even told our extended family yet, so I think we are going to take it one step at a time! Tell the family, make sure we are still looking good at the next ultrasound, and then look forward to registering. That should put us right around 18 weeks.
  • I didn't register until someone offered to throw me a baby shower. 
  • 20 week scan. Started researching the different products and stuff, but we didn't go register until 2nd trimester. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did ours in store at 14 weeks because DH travels a lot for work and that was one of the few weekends we had available to do it. We just added all of the basics (crib, bedding, feeding supplies, etc), and everything was gender neutral so we did not update it once we found out the sex. At that time, I didn't have anyone who was going to throw me a shower, so we were making it as a checklist for ourselves.

As far as feeling overwhelmed, babies don't truly need a lot - somewhere to sleep, something to keep them safe in the car, something to wear, etc. Most of the stuff is for your convenience, like swings and stuff like that. Browse around on Pinterest - there are a lot of good 'essential baby item' checklists you can use to plan out what you want to register for.
  • With our first we registered at about halfway.  Baby items change so much and the designs and patterns change frequently.  Some of the things we looked at early on were not available in the color/patterns etc once it was actually time to go buy things.  

• I know it's exciting to register for baby, but I think it's best to wait until your risks of complications are lowered.  Also, if you're planning on finding out what the baby's sex is, wait until after your 20 week anatomy scan.                     
  • 24 weeks

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We waited a couple of weeks after our anatomy scan. I did use Lucie's List and recommendations from my BMB as an outline of what to register for.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I didn't register until someone offered to throw me a baby shower. 
    This
  • Like other posters mentioned, we waited until after we had our 20 week anatomy scan. We just felt better about the health of the baby and making large purchases. We also found out the gender at this point, which also helped us select what we wanted to register for.
    For us, the process was very overwhelming and we tried to do too much in one day which made it less fun for me. I got stressed out over the things we had to pick out and all the choices. I also got nervous about how much everything was costing and that we wouldn't be gifted most of the items. I would recommend making a few trips to help yourself ease into it. You can also just go crazy scanning things and weed items out later online. 
  • I didn't start one until six month pregnant, but I was just so busy with my first. If your excited and want to do one, anytime is a good time. It's fun to plan and prepare. Keep us posted on what you decide it would be good to hear the "baby must have" from others.