January 2016 Moms
Options

Emotional after baby. How are you guys?

Nights are so hard for me because I am alone with my one week old baby...Not hard for reasons you'd think though...

After a feeding during the night I find myself staring at him... Then sometimes I can't help but cry because I am so overwhelmed with joy.. In my mind I am the luckiest person alive to have this little baby. But then... After the initial tears I have because I am so filled with overwhelming love... a tiny bit of sadness comes over me because I realize I have become afraid of so much. I moved back in with my parents during this time for extra help (father isn't involved with the baby) and I am unemployed at the moment (my job was an hour + away and I just could not take the thought of being that far away from my newborn.. Luckily I have a great support system which is helping me out for a bit while I get use to this new lifestyle as a mother )... So, I have been sad and overwhelmed about finding a new job closer to me... I get tugging thoughts that I need to go back in the workforce so I can provide for my baby better financially but then I get sad about the thought of leaving him. And then even though his grandparents are great and love us being here, I can't help but feel emotional that... I am 25! Shouldn't be living with my parents, let alone unemployed and living with my parents. Ugh.. I don't know.. I am Just overwhelmed with so many emotions I never in my life imagined I would ever experience. What about you guys? How are you all holding up in the emotions department?

Re: Emotional after baby. How are you guys?

• Options
    I was pretty emotional after my little one was born. She is now 6 weeks old. I would cry because I was so happy to have this child but then I would also cry because I know there's so much that's going to change. I have a wonderful family and my husband is great. So I have lots of support. But I still didn't let them see me being emotional. Except one time I broke down in front of my husband we talked for a bit and I felt so much better.  But I kept hings bottled up because I felt like I needed to be stronger than that. But I learned that we always need help sometimes. I have a great job but I wish I made more money. So now I've been a bit emotional about that. I wish I could go back to school and get an even better job to help support our family more. I have to go back to work in 4 days after being with my baby for 7 weeks and I'm scared and sad but I know I have to do it. Anyways you should enjoy this time with your baby! Don't stress out too much everything will work out!! And make sure you have someone you can talk to because that definitely helps. I was emotional pretty bad for about 2 weeks after I had my baby girl. But then I was fine. Most of your feelings will change its just hard the first couple weeks! It gets better. I wish you luck with everything. If you need someone else to talk to you can always private message me! I'm a first time mom too but I've learned a few things already!
  • Options
    These emotions are super common the first couple weeks. With DS it was like I expressed all emotion through sobbing- happiness, sadness, fear, anger- it all came out in tears. It was always worse at night too. If it doesn't stop by 3 weeks definitely have a chat with your doctor, as there are meds and therapy that can help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also sob uncontrollably for everything from being so in love with baby and watching how hubby interacts with him and supports me to being frustrated and feeling inadequate because breastfeeding has been so hard. I had a c section so that's also playing into these feelings for me. I totally feel ya! Just watch for it lasting longer than 2 weeks so you don't fall into post partum depression. It is NOT that until after 2 weeks...these are just normal baby blues and you have a lot going on.
  • Options
    I had very bad baby blues the first two and a half weeks and after that it started to get dramatically better - at week 5 I would say that I'm pretty much back to myself emotionally.  

Don't be ashamed about living with your parents.  25 is still really young and lots of 25 year olds live at home without a child to take care.  If my husband allowed it, I would gladly live with my mom now and I'm in my 30s.  I don't think there is anything weird about you living with them.  I think it's great for your baby - more people to interact and play with and be loved by.  

As for not having a job, can you dedicate one hour of baby's naps per day to job searching - that might help you feel a little more proactive and in control.  Today especially there are so many jobs with flexible schedules.  It sounds like you want to work and will feel good from working (this is how I feel and I went back to my job part-time at week 4 and it helped me feel so much better).
  • Options
    littleduck730littleduck730 member
    edited February 2016
    @ChrissyD1203Thanks! I'll take your advice and dedicate time to my job searching while baby takes his naps. You're right, it would make me feel better. I'm use to being in management and having long hours but I think I'm going to try and find something that has more flexibility and part time at first. 

Thanks everyone! It's nice to know the feelings I have are normal.