May 2016 Moms
Options

Straight to the Crib?

2»

Re: Straight to the Crib?

• Options
    Straight to crib has HUGE benefits to helping baby learn to sleep on own and through the night. Would encourage as many naps as possible in crib too especially after 1 month. We did this with our first son (adopted so I couldn't breast feed but I still would have done this) and he was sleeping through the night (8hrs) by 9 weeks. That's was also with a routine but crib sleeping really starts them off self reliant and not co-dependent....

With our son coming bc of only one nursery and 1st son will be 15months we are using a bassinet away from bed but in room so it doesn't feel like co-sleeping just till he sleeps through night a bit bc we don't want him to wake our other son as they will be sharing a room.

That's just what we did. Not to say some other way isn't good too.
  • Options
    Our LO will start off in a bassinet in our room for the first couple months but will nap in the crib. Hoping to only have her in our room for a month or two but we'll play it by ear!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no plans! I just hope this one decides to sleep. DD was a horrible sleeper and refused to sleep in her crib until she was much older. We'll see!
  • Options
    We are going to use a pack and play that has the bassinet attachment. We didn't see the need to buy both
  • Options
    I want to have baby in our room either in one of those snuggle beds in our bed or in a cosleeper which will be right next to me attached to the bed. I'm lazy abd don't and I don't want to have to get up all the time:-)

• Options
    Newborns makes all kinds of scary noises while sleeping. One minute they are taking deep, audible breaths and then for a few seconds they literally won't take a breath at all. Then all of a sudden they might gasp for air to catch up. THIS IS NORMAL BUT SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME because I didn't know to expect that. Now you know and hopefully you won't be as taken aback as I was. ;) just something to think about if they'll be in your room at night.
    Because of this, we transitioned our son into his crib in his room within a week of him being home. We were so paranoid that neither of us got any sleep until then. Originally he was in a pack n' play with a bassinet in our room. This baby will be in his crib in his room as well. I have a great lazy boy chair in there that I'll use for breastfeeding.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Options
    I want to have them in their crib ASAP, but our master bedroom is downstairs and the nursery upstairs.  So a bassinet seems like a must.  I found one that is a bassinet on one side and then you flip it over to a changing table on the other side, which I really love the idea of--that way I can also have an easy changing area downstairs.  I'm a little yucked out by the though of changing diapers on my bed or couch.
  • Options
    Sharra13 said:
    I want to have them in their crib ASAP, but our master bedroom is downstairs and the nursery upstairs.  So a bassinet seems like a must.  I found one that is a bassinet on one side and then you flip it over to a changing table on the other side, which I really love the idea of--that way I can also have an easy changing area downstairs.  I'm a little yucked out by the though of changing diapers on my bed or couch.
    The bassinet on the pack and play we want flips over to a changing table. :)

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    With #1, I had a cradle next to the bed for the first 6 weeks. She actually started to sleep through at that time. We decided to roll with it- put her in her crib the next night. I actually slept better because I wasn't waking to her every move/ sound.
    Now this time... bassinet in our room for now. We have a 2 bedroom house, so the baby will transition to #1's room as soon as we think it's doable. #1 will almost be 5 when #2 arrives, so it's going to be tricky!
    We have already made changes to her room so it isn't a surprise later. My biggest concern is #2 waking #1, and #1 not letting #2 sleep. She is very excited about the baby. I just worry she may attempt to get into the crib, etc. So, #2 may not make it to the crib for a bit!
  • Options
    We have a pretty big master bedroom - anyone have any thoughts on just putting the crib in there to begin with, so we don't have to deal with a bassinet? Just thought of this, not sure how annoying it would be - has anyone done this?
  • Options
    We're hoping to transition to crib in nursery ASAP. My husband snores like a MONSTER so I sleep in the guest bedroom a lot of the time, so I'm not sure how that will work if she's in our room (I thought about getting a baby monitor to take with me but then realized that I'd just be piping the snoring into the other room...)
  • Options
    I'm bumping this thread as DH and I did some baby researching today and discovered that Consumer Reports HATES bassinets and co-sleepers. Apparently cribs have to meet federal safety guidelines; bassinets and co sleepers do not. We were literally at BBB trying to pick out a bassinet and deciding between a Halo and a "Bassinest." On a whim we checked consumer reports and couldn't believe how anti-bassinet they were and recommended going straight to the crib--all for safety reasons.

now we are thinking of putting the crib in our bedroom and moving the crib to the nursery when we move him to the nursery to sleep there.

Any thoughts?
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    Pascal86 said:
    We have a pretty big master bedroom - anyone have any thoughts on just putting the crib in there to begin with, so we don't have to deal with a bassinet? Just thought of this, not sure how annoying it would be - has anyone done this?
    vinerie said:
    I'm bumping this thread as DH and I did some baby researching today and discovered that Consumer Reports HATES bassinets and co-sleepers. Apparently cribs have to meet federal safety guidelines; bassinets and co sleepers do not. We were literally at BBB trying to pick out a bassinet and deciding between a Halo and a "Bassinest." On a whim we checked consumer reports and couldn't believe how anti-bassinet they were and recommended going straight to the crib--all for safety reasons.

now we are thinking of putting the crib in our bedroom and moving the crib to the nursery when we move him to the nursery to sleep there.

Any thoughts?
    We did this! At least, that was our plan before DD let us know that should would never sleep anywhere that she couldn't touch me and nurse whenever she wanted. It's really not that big of a hassle to move the crib back to the nursery when you're ready to do that transition. It does make the nursery feel a little empty and less cute, but sleep is the priority here.
  • Options
    vinerie said:

Any thoughts?
    Next time someone gives me side eye for wanting to start her right in her crib/room, I'll let the naysayers know it's a better option than a bassinet! Thanks for the ammo.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @vinerie  That would be our plan if the crib fit in our bedroom. The crib would be right next to my side of the bed. Since it doesn't fit, we use the pack n play and use the crib in the nursery for naps until he'll move to the crib once he's sleeping longer stretches.

Like @araecasey I had a baby who wouldn't sleep unless he could touch me, so a move to the crib meant him in the crib and me on the floor next to him, then eventually setting up a safe bedshare in his room since he reverse-cycled and ate through the night. Hoping our plan works as-is for this LO. We'll see!
  • Options
    Interesting...we have a lot of unused space in our master, so the crib and a nursing chair in there is no issue whatsoever. I'm still torn about going straight to crib as it seems so big and empty, but Consumer Reports addressed that, too, saying people "feel" like babies want to be nestled in a tiny space, but the safest place is flat, free of clutter--I.e. A crib. Even the American Pediatric Society said as much--didn't s say to NOT use a bassinet, but warned against assuming that is the best place.

so in sum: I'm thrown for a loop as we were thisclose to buying a bassinet, had always assumed we would do a bassinet. 

Anyone else ever feel overwhelmed? I left BBB in need of a stiff drink after looking at strollers, crib mattresses, gliders and bassinets. 

• Options
    @kbrands7 @araecasey Add me to the list of having a baby that wouldn't sleep without touching either me or DH! I'm trying to think positively that this DD will be a better sleeper.
  • Options
    vinerie said:
    Interesting...we have a lot of unused space in our master, so the crib and a nursing chair in there is no issue whatsoever. I'm still torn about going straight to crib as it seems so big and empty, but Consumer Reports addressed that, too, saying people "feel" like babies want to be nestled in a tiny space, but the safest place is flat, free of clutter--I.e. A crib. Even the American Pediatric Society said as much--didn't s say to NOT use a bassinet, but warned against assuming that is the best place.

so in sum: I'm thrown for a loop as we were thisclose to buying a bassinet, had always assumed we would do a bassinet. 

Anyone else ever feel overwhelmed? I left BBB in need of a stiff drink after looking at strollers, crib mattresses, gliders and bassinets. 
    Lol...I felt the same way, so I'm taking it a section at a time.  

My brother gave me his bassinet, (originally my sisters) so I think we're using that first in the bedroom. I love that it is something that has been passed down!  Plus it doesn't put us in a huge rush to finish the nursery before the baby is born.  (We still have to get the ceiling redone!  We're so behind!  Aughhh old houses)

• Options
    Just some more info and point of reference: Via a study on SIDS and infant death conducted by the NIH. As I said earlier, there are potential problems with bassinets b.c. There are no federal safety standards (unlike what there is for cribs). This article reviews the causes of SIDS in bassinets. Most often it's from extra things in the bassinet-i.e. Stuffed animals, etc. in some cases the baby rolls over to the side and suffocates against the cloth edge--thus, the article recommends mesh siding. In some cases old bassinets fail/break.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2575771/

also, if you are curious about bassinet use:

the percentage of infants sleeping in bassinets doubled to almost 20% between 1992 and 2006. Bassinet use is highest in the first 2 months, when >45% of infants routinely sleep in bassinets. Use declines with age, and by 5–6 months, <10% of infants are in bassinets (NISP, unpublished data, 2007).