November 2015 Moms
Options

Teething babies?

mrsaragonmrsaragon member
edited January 2016 in November 2015 Moms
Is anyone's LO teething already? My DS just turned 2 months and for the past week has been drooling like a basset hound, is cranky and keeps chewing on his hands. While he was in the middle of a screaming episode yesterday, I noticed two white bumps on his bottom row of gums I even stuck my finger in there and can tell that they're raised. 2 little teefers!! I thought I had time to prepare for this!

Re: Teething babies?

• Options
    Those bumps and the drooling and hand chewing can go on for a long time before a tooth pops in.
    My DD drooled a lot for months and always chewed her hands and didn't get a tooth until 3 weeks before her first birthday.
  • Options
    My LO is too. She's almost 10 weeks. Like they PP said it could still be a long time. She pushes her paci to the back of her mouth on each side and chews away, slobbering the whole time. Sometimes she gags herself with it. Poor baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our ped told us that even though their teeth likely won't break through for much longer, the buds are still moving around under their gums and can cause drooling and discomfort. Poor things!
  • Options
    I thought I was crazy because DD has been showing symptoms of teething, especially since DS didn't cut his first tooth till a few weeks before he turned one. But I do remember he teethed at least 5 times in that year without ever cutting a tooth. I guess I just don't remember it starting this early.
  • Options
    Lsager424Lsager424 member
    edited January 2016
    My LO started showing teething symptoms last week, and he is almost 11 weeks old. For those that are looking to provide their LO's with some relief, I took out Sophie the Giraffe for him, and he really seems to enjoy gumming her.

ETA: pronouns
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our ped told us "pre-teething" was coming up soon, but actual teeth won't come until later.
  • Options
    My oldest daughter got her first teeth at 3 months, my second daughter was about 6 months. My son is drooling like crazy but thankfully no signs of teeth yet!
  • Options
    My babe has a tooth about to pop and he is 10wks.
  • Options
    Lsager424 said:
    My LO started showing teething symptoms last week, and he is almost 11 weeks old. For those that are looking to provide their LO's with some relief, I took out Sophie the Giraffe for him, and he really seems to enjoy gumming her. ETA: pronouns
    oh yeah, Sophie is a popular toy in this house!
  • Options
    I just pulled out Sophie today! Didn't have a chance to wash her yet but I'll be doing that first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    Lolo427Lolo427 member
    edited January 2016
    So we ordered Sophie last week. I do have Vulli the cat (Sophie's friend, as Sophie was sold out)- the damn toy speaks so loud and my GSD is now convinced it simply must be hers and we accidentally gave it to the baby. Does Sophie make noise?

Edit: Sofie...Sophie.
  • Options
    Lolo427 said:
    So we ordered Sophie last week. I do have Vulli the cat (Sophie's friend, as Sophie was sold out)- the damn toy speaks so loud and my GSD is now convinced it simply must be hers and we accidentally gave it to the baby. Does Sophie make noise? Edit: Sofie...Sophie.
    Yes, I found out today that Sophie squeaks like a dog toy. However, to wash it I soaked it in a bowl of soapy water. Water must have gotten inside because now it really doesn't squeak.

DD loved it!! She did so well maneuvering it to her mouth and found so many areas to munch on. 
  • Options
    We introduced Sophie today. The dogs love it more since it squeaks like a dog toy. 
  • Options
    My LO is eight weeks.  Just started teething, she's been fussy the past two days and she only fusses when she's hungry, so this was new.  I also noticed she had started to drool, but I didn't think anything of it until today when my mother in law said it might be teething.  Sure enough, my LO had the little white bumps.
  • Options
    DS has bumps all on his gumline and has been gnawing on his hands or my hands a lot more. He has also been drooling quite a bit and blowing spit bubbles constantly. He's not big on teething toys and hates pacifiers so I'm not sure how to help him.
  • Options
    @hlaverett88You can make frozen breastmilk  in a nipple of a bottle (milk in nipple, tin foil on bottom, freeze nipple down) and teething babies can suck on it for relief.  There's also a baby version or oral gel (it's in my bathroom- I forget the brand but either someone will pipe in or I'll grab the name later- it has elmo on the box) you can use.
  • Options
    If the sophie squeaking drives you nuts, you can stab into the squeaker hole with something sharp and break the squeaker.
  • Options
    DS has bumps all on his gumline and has been gnawing on his hands or my hands a lot more. He has also been drooling quite a bit and blowing spit bubbles constantly. He's not big on teething toys and hates pacifiers so I'm not sure how to help him.
    Try a cool wash cloth. My LO prefers it over the toys.
  • Options
    Is there any correlation between teething and coughing? LO is coughing but no other cold symptoms. However he has started drooling and blowing bubbles along with being very fussy. Makes sense that the extra drool might cause coughing, but looking for insight from those who have been there!

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    Is there any correlation between teething and coughing? LO is coughing but no other cold symptoms. However he has started drooling and blowing bubbles along with being very fussy. Makes sense that the extra drool might cause coughing, but looking for insight from those who have been there!
    I've never heard or experienced that but I suppose extra drool could cause it. Sorry I was no help at all. Does he have any other teething symptoms? 
  • Options
    I read somewhere that while teething babies cough more. 
  • Options
    Lolo427 said:
    So we ordered Sophie last week. I do have Vulli the cat (Sophie's friend, as Sophie was sold out)- the damn toy speaks so loud and my GSD is now convinced it simply must be hers and we accidentally gave it to the baby. Does Sophie make noise? Edit: Sofie...Sophie.
    Yes, I found out today that Sophie squeaks like a dog toy. However, to wash it I soaked it in a bowl of soapy water. Water must have gotten inside because now it really doesn't squeak.

DD loved it!! She did so well maneuvering it to her mouth and found so many areas to munch on. 
    This came up on my Facebook a while back, someone had shared it https://www.whattoexpect.com/groups/m/april-2015-babies/discussion/46771239

if water did get in to the squeaker then you may have a hole and therefore it can go mouldy inside :( it may be wise to get a new one. I passed mine down from my older two children (washing it in between) but after seeing this I chucked it and got a new one just in case. Also if there are small holes in it, dribble can get through and do the same thing
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies!! I will definitely try some of the suggestions. 

@SweetTooth126 my son has started coughing too. I didn't think of drool as a cause
  • Options
    MAM has two wonderful teethers that my daughter loves . . . one looks kind of like the end of a fish tale and can be frozen, the other resembles a mouth guard with a circular handle and has lots of little rubber bristles.  She loves them both.  

I agree with the concerns over Sophie . . . a friend cut her open after seeing the pictures online and it was full of black mold as well.  My daughter loved hers but I haven't been using it anymore.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Disregard my teething & coughing comments. LO has RSV :(

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    mamavbs said:
    Lolo427 said:

This came up on my Facebook a while back, someone had shared it https://www.whattoexpect.com/groups/m/april-2015-babies/discussion/46771239

if water did get in to the squeaker then you may have a hole and therefore it can go mouldy inside :( it may be wise to get a new one. I passed mine down from my older two children (washing it in between) but after seeing this I chucked it and got a new one just in case. Also if there are small holes in it, dribble can get through and do the same thing
    Eww that's gross! Thanks for sharing. I'll stop submerging Sophie and wipe her down. The squeaker started working again after I squeezed a bunch of water out. I'll have to make sure I really shake it dry!!
  • Options
    Stupid sophie squeaker confuses my dog. 
  • Options
    You can put a drop of hot glue in the hole in Sophie to stop water getting in and to stop the squeaking.   Also watch out for bath toys, it is almost impossible to get the water out of them and they fill with mold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 11wks and already has a tooth coming in! He's getting too big!