August 2015 Moms

Help. FTM: My 'perfect' sleeper and the pacifier situation from hell

My daughter slept through the night at 8 weeks. I know, hate me. I deserve it.

BUT, she was swaddled. Now, she can bust out of that thing, no problem (5 months old), to the point that I don't think she should be in it anymore. Seems like she truly outgrew the practice. One arm isn't an option. She can roll on her stomach easily like that, but can't seem to roll back. 

Now, unswaddled, she uses her hand to bat the pacifier out of her mouth 12-15 times per night. I'm in hell. The second I put it back in, back to sleep.

I am not going to let her cry for 8 hours. She starts to gag and turn purple after 2 minutes of real crying. Not my parenting style. 

Can't put the bink in herself, because she only like the ones that are orthodontic and have a "right" and "wrong" side. 

Do help. 

SammyD

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Help. FTM: My 'perfect' sleeper and the pacifier situation from hell

• Sleep sack to replace swaddle, wubbanub for paci. Encourage thumb sucking as well. Then you can get rid of pacifier all together. 
  • Sleep sack to replace swaddle, wubbanub for paci. Encourage thumb sucking as well. Then you can get rid of pacifier all together. 
    Be careful with thumb sucking. You can get rid of a paci, but you can't cut off their fingers.

One thing I have done with my 'Perfect' sleeper(basically has slept TTN since 10 days old); is to wait until he falls asleep, then take the paci away. He will still be asleep, but he is weaning from sleeping with the paci in. That way he can't spit it out/lose it during the night.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Loading the player...
  • My LO is about to be 6 months old and he just completed the 5th leap which was by far the worst so far but only because we had teething in the mix.  Lately he has woken up at night screaming for no reason, i also put his paci back in and he is fine. He can put it back in himself but i also have a toy in the crib with him which seems to help some. I agree with the sleep sack. we used one for a while and eventually switched to just footed pajamas.
  • My Pedi. literally put my sons thumb in his mouth when he was fussy at an appointment and he's been hooked ever since. I agree with PP that it's a good alternative, but the cons I have with it (not saying you would too just adding my two cents) is that now that he has started baby food, if I'm not feeding him as fast as he wants he throws that thumb in his mouth at meal time and it gets messy. Also, he holds his own bottle and doesn't like help, so if he drops it while I'm not looking, he goes for the thumb until I notice and get his bottle back to him. No major problems, it just makes meal times longer. 
    As far as swaddling goes I don't have much advice, my son never liked it! He's been quite the independent rebel now that I think about it haha Sometimes he wants to sleep on his back, other times side, other times belly. He can roll over to adjust himself so I just let him. He didn't start sleeping all night until this passed month when he learned to readjust and self soothes with the thumb.
  • We have never had a perfect sleeper so this is not new for me, but we're dealing with pacifier issues, too.  I'm up a lot at night replacing the paci so he can fall back asleep and I can go back to bed.  I don't think daycare uses his pacifier as much during the day so I'm kind of hoping daycare will help him become pacifier-less, but I think it'll be a process.  Until then, welcome to the "up and down all night" club. :)
  • edited February 2016
    Merlins magic sleep suit? It's a transition from the swaddle. My daughter loves it 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My Pedi. literally put my sons thumb in his mouth when he was fussy at an appointment and he's been hooked ever since. I agree with PP that it's a good alternative, but the cons I have with it (not saying you would too just adding my two cents) is that now that he has started baby food, if I'm not feeding him as fast as he wants he throws that thumb in his mouth at meal time and it gets messy. Also, he holds his own bottle and doesn't like help, so if he drops it while I'm not looking, he goes for the thumb until I notice and get his bottle back to him. No major problems, it just makes meal times longer. 
    As far as swaddling goes I don't have much advice, my son never liked it! He's been quite the independent rebel now that I think about it haha Sometimes he wants to sleep on his back, other times side, other times belly. He can roll over to adjust himself so I just let him. He didn't start sleeping all night until this passed month when he learned to readjust and self soothes with the thumb.

Ha! I thought my son was the only one who did that with his thumb.
    ------------
    Here is a site that helped me transition my son from his swaddle:  https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/weaning-baby-swaddling/.  Perhaps there is an article as well about pacifiers.  Hope this helps!

• My situation EXACTLY. I tried the magic merlin suit and it did not work for us. My LO's favorite pacifier is an orthodontic one with a little stuffed animal attached, like the wubanub. Without his arms swaddled he just swats out the paci and then wants it back and its terrible. So I went back to the swaddle. Yesterday I went cold turkey and got rid of the paci and its turning out to be really great. First nap he cried 45 minutes, second nap 6 minutes.. third nap was a total disaster and he cried for an hour.. so I gave up and let him play. Then when I put him to sleep for the night he didn't make one peep. He went right to sleep. Woke up a couple times that night and fussed for about 30 seconds each and then fell right back asleep. I too, was waking up 8-10x a night replacing the paci and fixing the swaddle that he busted out of. Last night he broke out of his swaddle and I did not replace it, and I find that since he didn't have the pacifier he was ok without the swaddle. So hopefully we can get rid of that soon too. I was going to head to buy buy baby yesterday to get the 50/50 swaddle, since it comes in larger sizes and it has a zipper. So my advice.. try to get rid of the paci.. it's going to be hard for a day or two but in the long run it will probably be worth it.

• you could look up some gentle pacifier weaning techniques. I tried a couple and they didn't work for us, that's why I just went cold turkey.
  • We tried the various techniques for I swaddling... One arm out, looser swaddle, none of them worked for us... We went cold turkey yesterday and it's going ok. I am rolling lo to her side and patting her back. 
  • I unswaddled my daughter cold turkey (transitioned into a sleep sack) and it took about a week and a half for her to get used to all of the free space around her but now she's sleeping much better. The first 3-4 days were terrible and I wanted to give up and go back to swaddling but I'm glad I stuck with it 
  • My boy used to be the same way. I got a pacifier clip and I attach it to his sleep sack. He knows how to put it back in his mouth now
  • I just want to say I am glad im not alone, but yes I hate you with your sleeping good the last 4 months! LO has just never been consistent.  Between rsv,  ear infections and teething,  dude gets maybe 1 good night of sleep a week.  And the Binky dropping is hell.  We've started taking it out,  but when he wakes and it's not there he let's us know he's not pleased.  I actually thought he'd do the thumb because he does suck on it occasionally,  but it's never replaced the pacifier...