October 2015 Moms
Options

Solid food

Anyone started on solids yet? I'm waiting for our next Dr app next week, but really excited to try it out! Any tips or tricks? I plan on making our own for now, but who knows how long that will last!

Re: Solid food

• Options
    I'm not starting until 6 months and and I'm starting with oatmeal like I did with DD1. 
  • Options
    I'm hoping the pedi will give us the go ahead at Damien's 4 month appointment on the 24th. I want to start with rice cereal and then go to veggies 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chein1 said:
    I'm not starting until 6 months and and I'm starting with oatmeal like I did with DD1. 
    This!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    I'm hoping & thinking our doctor will give us the go ahead on Feb 9 at her 4 month appointment. She's pretty old school and pretty much lets us do whatever we want (within reason). She's been on rice and oatmeal since about 3 weeks because of reflux, and we've fed her the little amount left in her bottle with a tiny spoon for a few weeks. I have no advice though since I'm a FTM :) good luck!
  • Options
    We are also waiting for the 6 month mark as suggested by our Dr and public health nurse.  I'm enjoying having a EBF baby... And it's free and easy!  No rush for solids at all!  He's growing up to fast as it is!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Options
    I wish my reason for waiting was based on vigorous researching on my part. So false. I rushed with DD1. Couldn't wait to get pics and video of her first "food". However getting her to eat now as a toddler is stressful enough I'm putting off with this LO as long as possible haha! 
  • Options
    Our doc mentioned at her last appointment that we'd discuss starting solids at the next -- when she'll be 4 months. If that's what she suggests, that's what we'll do. Also, it's getting to a point where LO doesn't seem fully satisfied after feeding anymore. I think she's ready.
  • Options
    I'm beyond excited to introduce solids. I've got his high chair all set up and he hangs out with us when we eat. I've tried to spoon feed him his formula (to get him used to the spoon, yes I'm crazy). He seemed puzzled at first and spots most of it out. Then today he tried to suck on the spoon like it was a nipple, lol!!! So yeah, he's obviously not even close to being ready for solids. I'm just going to keep putting him in his highchair when we eat and hopefully he'll show interest in food someday. 
  • Options
    FatPony said:
    I'm beyond excited to introduce solids. I've got his high chair all set up and he hangs out with us when we eat. I've tried to spoon feed him his formula (to get him used to the spoon, yes I'm crazy). He seemed puzzled at first and spots most of it out. Then today he tried to suck on the spoon like it was a nipple, lol!!! So yeah, he's obviously not even close to being ready for solids. I'm just going to keep putting him in his highchair when we eat and hopefully he'll show interest in food someday. 
    I put LO in her high chair too! She was in the RNP while we ate but I like her being up with us so she can see everything. I felt like she was excluded in the RNP and it made me feel so guilty lol.
  • Options
    As is suggested by most experts I will not introduce solids until at least 6 months, but it'll likely be a year as my DD has horrible food allergies.
  • Options
    ravenbird007ravenbird007 member
    edited February 2016
    I've already given LO some baby food. She was showing interest in my food when I ate, so I let her try it. I started with bananas. She no longer has the tongue thrust reflex, so every 3-4 days, I'll give her half of the gerber container, and feed her the other half the next day. I won't give her more until at least three days have passed, and she's pooped twice. In the last 3 weeks she's had a total of 1 1/2 bananas, 1 peach, 1/2 a sweet potato (she was not fond of it), and 30 peas, as well as some oatmeal cereal mixed with breast milk. Last week, she started grabbing either my hand or the spoon and pulling it to her mouth (it's been a messy process, although it's pretty awesome to watch her hold the spoon and feed herself). I already planned to start baby led weaning, but won't be giving her actual solids until I speak to her doctor on the 17th

ETA: The only tricks I can think of are feed them before you plan on changing their clothes (e.g. in the morning before you change them out of their jammies, or at night before you change them into their jammies). Just a diaper works, too. 

I imagine your doctor will mention the three day rule. Wait three days after introducing a new food in order to observe any sensitivities or allergies. 

If you don't want to buy or make baby food that they might not like, try letting them taste some of your fruits and veggies all mashed up without any sugar or seasonings. 

Some links to help when the time comes:
    https://www.parents.com/baby/feeding/solid-foods/starting-solids-guide/
    https://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc?page=1
  • Options

LOs need to hit a few milestones before they are ready to eat.

1. Show interest

2. Lose the tongue thrust reflex

3. Be able to sit up for longer periods of time

We won't start solids until 6 months. I'm in no rush.

• Options
    We also will start at 6 months. The pedi reccommends 4 months, but I regretted doing that with my son, I just felt like it was too soon!!! With this baby girl, I'm going to wait and keep her EBF until 6 months.
  • Options
    Same here I'm waiting until 6 months 
  • Options
    Thanks all! I'm going to start using her high chair while we eat. I love that idea, just to get her used to us being at the table together. She hasn't hit all the milestones, so I'm not going to force it.