Cloth Diapering

Cloth Diaper Convenience for Family

Hi all! I'm expecting in August and my husband and I are both dedicated to cloth diapering. We're actually pretty excited about it. What we're not sure about is family/friends. We're very close and our baby will definitely be spending some time with them at some point. Both sets of our parents used disposables, as well as everyone else we're close to, so none of them have experience with cloth. We want to make it easy on our family/friends who are trying to help out, but we hope to do that without buying so many disposables. I've seen liners, but they get mixed reviews. Do you ladies have any experience with any products that we should add to our registry for this purpose? TIA!!!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Cloth Diaper Convenience for Family

• Honestly, I think it would depend on what you want to take on. No one else who watches my kids has ever CD.
    I have a bunch of wet bags and just ask them to put the wet diapers in one, and the dirty diapers in another. At night then I just rinse out the dirty ones and put them in the bag. That way no one else, including daycare, has to do anything but change the kids, and put diapers in the bag. 
    I have used fleece liners and disposable liners and disposable inserts and for me just rinsing them myself has been easist. 
  • barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited January 2016
    I was in the same situation. We bought a few all in ones and saved those for family. They go on and come off exactly like disposables. Pocket diapers are much cheaper than all in ones and work the same. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies!
  • My mother and inlaws found Velcro ones easier to put on. A Velcro all-in-one is pretty similar to a disposable. But I always found it hard to get a good fit with Velcro also Velcro sucks when they get older (not as sticky and kids came get them off easier, TRUST ME).

Might be a good idea to get a few in rotation. But I'd suggest never using them at night for a toddler. Lesson learned after the crib/walls/baby became a poop canvas.
  • My mother and inlaws found Velcro ones easier to put on. A Velcro all-in-one is pretty similar to a disposable. But I always found it hard to get a good fit with Velcro also Velcro sucks when they get older (not as sticky and kids came get them off easier, TRUST ME).

Might be a good idea to get a few in rotation. But I'd suggest never using them at night for a toddler. Lesson learned after the crib/walls/baby became a poop canvas.
    Yikes! I hadn't even thought about them being easier to remove for the baby! I've read that velcro was much more similar to disposables, but I have concerns about them lasting through two kids. I plan to at least get a handful for family to use. We probably won't use them as often. 
  • I got velcro pockets for DH, and they lasted well-using them on our second little now. DD1 never took off her diapers prior to potty training, so you might not have that problem :) 

Brands differ greatly on velcro quality. Bum genius/flip were awful, didn't even make it a year before wearing out. Happy Heiny are holding out great-some have been used on 4 kids and they're still sticky. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would suggest AIO or Pocket diapers. I use them both for daycare - and I send them pre-stuffed and sometimes include the liners (but that really just helps me later on when washing) and they just strap them on like a disposable since it's all one piece, then place in wetbag when dirty. Once I have 2-3 full wetbags, I wash.