May 2016 Moms
Options

Shower questions

I'm starting all over with my 3rd baby, as I have 2 teenage boys. I don't have a lot of close friends local, and I'm doubting even having a shower. Do you mostly invite close friends? What about people out of town that you know can't come? I had a friend volunteer to host, but wonder if it will be worth it or the best way to handle it. Anyone ever do a shower with hubby and male/females?

Re: Shower questions

• Options
    kp90kp90 member
    edited January 2016
    You can do co-ed showers. I threw one for a friend of mine a few years ago and it was actually a lot of fun. Guys made the games interesting.
  • Options
    in my circle of friends we call the 2nd+ shower a 'sprinkle', and only invite very close friends, immediate family. There's 8 yrs between my first and this one, and my mom asked who she should invite, I told her just my closest girlfriends and immediate family (mother in law, sister in law). I'm not registering either, so she's suggesting people bring things that will be needed, like diapers/wipes, neutral clothes, gift cards, books, etc. the only time I've seen husbands/bf's at these things is towards the end of the event, to haul everything home. but if that's what you want, go for it! any celebration of baby is a good time, enjoy it with those you want.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and my shower is going to be co-ed. It will mostly be immediate family, the guys really made a difference in the numbers and so we could only invite a handful of close friends. We did include out of town family because all of my family is out of town pretty much but surprisingly most of them are coming.
  • Options
    Generally showers for 2nd+ babies are considered bad etiquette/tacky, BUT most would find it acceptable when there is a large age gap, and ESPECIALLY when it's the other parent's first child (if this is the case, the other parent should definitely be present at the shower). 
    Now that that's out of the way -- do you want a shower?
    Usually those invited to showers would be considered your "nearest and dearest." Do you have family in the area that would to attend?
    People out of town that you know cannot make it should not be invited, as it looks gift-grabby.
    Nothing wrong with co-ed..my husband wouldn't be caught dead at a baby shower, but if your husband and male guests are into it, all the power to ya :smile:
  • Options
    Since there's such a big age gap, I personally don't see anything wrong with a shower, especially if someone is offering to throw it for you. I am having 2 showers that are female only and one that is co-ed. Most men around here have been to a baby shower before (or bridal shower) and use this time to drink beer and hang out somewhere where the women aren't (for the most part). 
  • Options
    ***Tacky here***
    My daughter will be 3 when this next daughter is born. We are having another shower. My best friend and my mom are throwing it for us. We are treating it more like a cookout with both men and women. No gift time or games. The invitations will have where we are registered. I think if someone wants to throw it for you then let them. I feel like every child should be celebrated as much as the last.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    @doozer1345 - yes, that's tacky. But at least you admit it, so yay?
    BTW, showers are not, and never have been, about celebrating the baby. They're about welcoming a woman into motherhood.
  • Options
    This is really similar to what we are doing @doozer1345 Glad someone else feels the same way. I wouldn't have thought to have any kind of another shower, but family insists on doing something, so why not? Same thing, no games etc., I probably won't include a registry link, but if family/friends would like to come celebrate another baby and eat some BBQ then why not? 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Yes, I'm starting over. My youngest is 13!!! I didn't have one for my 2nd. 
  • Options
    I don't think a shower for a second child is tacky at all, especially if it is a different sex! My best friend had a boy at first and we threw her a shower, then got pregnant with a girl. Guess what? We threw her another shower. If your friends want to throw you a shower, I don't think it's bad etiquette to say sure.

My DH and I went to a co-ed shower over the summer and had a good time. There was good food, alcohol, etc. It was fun. I wanted a co-ed shower with ours, he nixed that idea immediately. He is not about showers of any kind.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    It's time for the weekly shower fight/ etiquette discussion ! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    PYLWhammy said:
    BTW, showers are not, and never have been, about celebrating the baby. They're about welcoming a woman into motherhood.
    I don't think it's fair to call it tacky when a family member or close friend is wanting to host a shower to welcome your second child...  What do you accomplish by turning down a low-key co-ed cookout (referring to a @doozer1345 style shower)?  That's hardly a traditional baby shower; seems like the more gracious thing to do would be to accept rather than shoot it down for the sake of following a rule book.
    Nothing wrong with a low-key co-ed cookout. 
    A registry in the invites? For your second child? Come on.
    And then not having "gift time?" So the guests can't even see you open the gifts they bought for you?

@ncm0328 .. yes, showers are considered a rite of passage for a woman becoming a mother. 
    The mother-to-be is the guest of honor, not the baby.
    Want a party celebrating a baby's birth? Fine, but that's not really a shower, is it? Just like a christening party isn't a shower...
  • Options
    PYLWhammy said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    I don't think it's fair to call it tacky when a family member or close friend is wanting to host a shower to welcome your second child...  What do you accomplish by turning down a low-key co-ed cookout (referring to a @doozer1345 style shower)?  That's hardly a traditional baby shower; seems like the more gracious thing to do would be to accept rather than shoot it down for the sake of following a rule book.
    And then not having "gift time?" So the guests can't even see you open the gifts they bought for you?

@ncm0328 .. yes, showers are considered a rite of passage for a woman becoming a mother. 
    Want a party celebrating a baby's birth? Fine, but that's not really a shower, is it? Just like a christening party isn't a shower...
    Most of the people coming to this have been asking what we need/want, where we are registered, etc. So yes, where we are registered will be on the invites so we don't have to keep filtering calls/emails inquiring. No, we're not having gift time or games bc we're having guys there as well and want to keep everyone comfortable and happy. Would it help your standards if you knew we are paying for most of the booze we're having at the party?
    How about this... When you have your second or whatever number child you're on don't have a shower or a cookout or celebrate the child like your first one got. Makes sense for you I guess but not for me. IMO this doesn't make me tacky nor do I feel the need to tell you how it makes you look that you wouldn't treat the impending arrival of your second (third, etc) the same as your first.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    There is no right or wrong answer to any of this only opinions about what we all prefer or would personally do. So my opinion is do what you want...there is no shower God judging you, just pregnant hormonal women who you don't know from a piece of bread, so we ultimately don't count. You want to shower each child...DO IT!!!!! You don't want to shower each kid, that's cool too. Neither option is wrong! We should be celebrating each other's choices and differences not judging each other in a public forum. 
  • Options
    PYLWhammy said:
    PYLWhammy said:

Most of the people coming to this have been asking what we need/want, where we are registered, etc. So yes, where we are registered will be on the invites so we don't have to keep filtering calls/emails inquiring. No, we're not having gift time or games bc we're having guys there as well and want to keep everyone comfortable and happy. Would it help your standards if you knew we are paying for most of the booze we're having at the party?
    How about this... When you have your second or whatever number child you're on don't have a shower or a cookout or celebrate the child like your first one got. Makes sense for you I guess but not for me. IMO this doesn't make me tacky nor do I feel the need to tell you how it makes you look that you wouldn't treat the impending arrival of your second (third, etc) the same as your first.
    Lurker but I got a mini vent about this.

I think if you want a low key co-ed shower (not touching the second shower part) that's cool. I think not opening gifts because you don't want to make guys uncomfortable is kinda silly, and I've seen it mentioned by multiple people.  I didn’t realize men were so sensitive to watching someone open gifts. Do their balls retreat into their bodies like if it's cold? Do they break out in hives? Are they so coddled they can't smile and make small talk when the mom to be opens presents?

I think it's great to involve guys in showers l. I think it's sad that people go out of their way to cater so much to the stereotype of what a guy is though. If you don't think a guy is going to be interested watching you open gifts, and doesn’t have the courtesy to pretend to be interested, don't invite him to a shower!

But yes, I would find it very rude to receive an invitation with registry information enclosed,  show up with a gift and then see none of the gifts opened. I personally think you should reconsider that part, with the registry information included,  I would assume a gift was expected, but wasn't important enough to you to acknowledge at the party and would find that hurtful. 

Rant over and lurker out.
  • Options
    Have your shower! Enjoy yourself and celebrate with anyone who wants to! If people don't like it, then they won't come. If people don't want to buy you a gift, then they won't. We're having an open house style baby shower with men and women. Is everyone happy about the lack of diaper sniffing games or the fact that we're not eating up a set amount of hours in their weekend? So far, ABSOLUTELY! If Miss Manners or anyone else has anything to say about it, give them a stiff drink. Congrats on your new addition and have a great time.  
  • Options
    @Bringmemylongswordho A gift isn't expected (as I said we've been asked by several about a registry and needs/wants and that's why they're including it on the invitation) and it's a non-traditional shower. You assume you know our group of friends/guests who will be coming. They really don't care about any of the things that have been brought up. For most of them it's an excuse to get together, drink, eat, and just have fun together. Like it or not that's fine. This is my shower. You can do or not do whatever you want at yours.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    @Bringmemylongswordho A gift isn't expected (as I said we've been asked by several about a registry and needs/wants and that's why they're including it on the invitation) and it's a non-traditional shower. You assume you know our group of friends/guests who will be coming. They really don't care about any of the things that have been brought up. For most of them it's an excuse to get together, drink, eat, and just have fun together. Like it or not that's fine. This is my shower. You can do or not do whatever you want at yours.
    If a registry is on the invitation,  I would feel like a gift was expected.  Heck, set up a poll "do you feel obligated to bring a gift to a baby related party that has registry information on the invite ". I think you'll be surprised at the results. My guess is you don't want anyone to feel put upon. As someone who buys a gift for every baby, it's one thing to ask where you are registered and bring a gift to a non shower party, it's another thing to go to a shower.

And I'm not trying to call out you and your friend group specifically,  I lurk many boards and when people give reasons for not opening gifts at co-ed showers, the guys being bored or uncomfortable is one of those reasons.  And my thoughts are if they want to attend a shower they can watch mom to be open gifts. It's not like what happens at showers are some big secret. 

I will never judge anyone for not having stupid party games at a shower. That diaper game is an abomination. 
  • Options
    @Bringmemylongswordho Those games are terrible. 
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    My husband will be at our shower. He wants to be, and I'm certainly not stopping him. A number of folks in my family have had co-ed showers. My shower is going to be only family.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020