Baby Names
Options

Girl name for a baby boy?

edited January 2016 in Baby Names
So I was completely set on naming my son James, BUT according to nameberry.com James is now considered unisex name. Now I worry that if I name my son James he might get mocked later for having a girl's name. Am I over reacting for reconsidering? I just really don't want a uni sex name for my DS. So I'm going to put it to a vote, thanks for your help!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Girl name for a baby boy? 187 votes

James is a boy's name
98% 184 votes
James is a unisex name
1% 3 votes

Re: Girl name for a baby boy?

• Options
    I had this exact same problem. It makes me mad that boy names are going to girls. I stressed over 'what if he goes to school and the year before him there was a girl named that? Now everybody thinks its a girl's name and he will be made fun of'. Well, I went ahead and used it anyway. Besides, I think in the case of James, its so unlikely that there will be more girls than boys with this name.

P.s. - we used James as the middle name, so I'm partial to it. I say go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    James is a total boy name! I thought the same thing about Max-Jessica Simpson and Mark Zuckerberg naming their girls Max. But we are still using it for our little guy. 
  • Options
    froggy994 said:
    James is a total boy name! I thought the same thing about Max-Jessica Simpson and Mark Zuckerberg naming their girls Max. But we are still using it for our little guy. 
    To be fair, mark Zuckerbergs daughter is named Maxima, nn Max. 
  • Options
    No one in their right mind would consider James a girl name. Maybe a boy named used on girls sometimes, but never a girl name or even a unisex name. 

We chose a unisex name for DS (though I didn't realize it was unisex until we had pretty much settled on it. I had the same concerns as @mellymar and it turns out there is a little girl in town with the name. I was worried at first but I'm so over it. People will realize he's a boy when they meet him and I don't think it's feminine enough that people would find it strange.

However you have none of these concerns with James! If there does end up being a girl with the name people will think she has a boy name, not the other way around. Promise :)
  • Options
    Boy name all the way. Great name. 
  • Options
    James is 100% a boys name
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    Nameberry thinks EVERY name is unisex.
    This. Technically, I guess no one will stop you, but I have never heard James for a girl. 

Kinda like I think of Courtney as 100% a girl name, but I've known three guys named it. One went by CJ, another Corey. 
  • Options
    We worried a little about this with Dylan but I have yet to meet a girl named Dylan and it doesn't seem to be catching on. James is such a common boys name I think it would take a very long time to make that transition, like multiple generations. Go for it.
  • Options
    My brother's name is Jordan and he was named just as it was becoming popular (for both men and women). Has never, ever been a problem--and it's a name that's much more gender-dispersed than James, which I believe is still primarily "boy's name." (Check out Baby Name Wizard if you want to see a breakdown of popularity by gender.) 
  • Options
    Just because a few idiots decided james was unisex doesnt make it true/
  • Options
    I've never in my life met a girl named James..and I don't think I ever will. I think it's safe to say James is 100% boy. 
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited January 2016
    I don't know any girls named James. I have seen it recently used as a middle name for a girl which doesn't bother me but I wouldn't use it as a first name. 

If I were a teacher and saw James, I would assume it was a boy. A name such as Jamie could go either way. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a girlfriend named Jamie that we would call james as a nickname on occasion.  Doesn't mean it was a girlie name.  Vice versa had a guy friend named james and he was often called Jamie.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I know a girl whose middle name is James- which is why I voted unisex. My opinion though is that if it's used, I don't think it should be a first name. If I saw James on a school list or resume - I automatically assume boy.
  • Options
    zanaerob1 said:
    Not entirely on topic, and not at all a criticism of OP, but it makes me sad that so many people post about giving traditionally male names to their daughters, (mostly for the reason 'I want to give her a strong name'), but the only posts I've seen the other way around is parents worried their sons will be made fun of, not even for being given a girls name, but just because some girls have been given that name.

How is it we're still so ashamed of being feminine in our society that we consider it strengthening our girls to give them male names, and shameful for our boys to have a name that could be in any way associated with girls. To the point people have to worry about whether their son will be bullied for being called James!