May 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 1/28

13»

Re: UO Thursday 1/28

• Options
    vinerie said:

Mine is that I don't want one more freaking person trying to sell me something on Facebook. Thrive, Beach Body, Younique, Rodan and Fields - they can all kiss my round ass. I will almost always block a B that's trying to sell me this stuff via social media. Public posts, private messages, pictures, etc. if I didn't respond to one of your first ten business propositions, I'm probably not interested. Get a job doing something else. Sorry NOT sorry. :#

I've seen this posted a couple times. Is this really a thing? I would be very annoyed too! 

YES. Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, all of the above. People can't stop, won't stop.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mine is that I don't want one more freaking person trying to sell me something on Facebook. Thrive, Beach Body, Younique, Rodan and Fields - they can all kiss my round ass. I will almost always block a B that's trying to sell me this stuff via social media. Public posts, private messages, pictures, etc. if I didn't respond to one of your first ten business propositions, I'm probably not interested. Get a job doing something else. Sorry NOT sorry. :#
    I've seen this posted a couple times. Is this really a thing? I would be very annoyed too! 
    YES. Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, all of the above. People can't stop, won't stop.
    My friends post pictures of themselves on top of mountains, or at culturally significant events. "Hey, look at me! I"m relevant/outdoorsy, etc." 

I pretty much hate FB. That being said, I go on every day. Then I get mad at wonder why I'm wasting my time there. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    KaKip said:
    Random UO: I do not like fruit in my salad. Get your grapes/dried cranberries/mandarin oranges/etc. out my face! Yuck!
    I love fruit in my salad.... that's the best part--- strawberries, apples, clementines, cranberries, raspberries--- I love them all! We just had a pear, pecan and cranberry salad last night. 

What I don't like is ranch dressing. EWWW... 
    Oh man. I like a little salad with my ranch dressing.
  • Options
    js8812 said:

A-fricken-men.  A girl from my graduating class PM'd me today about setting up a "girls night" so she can discuss her Pure Romance products.  Ummm... I'm 6 months pregnant and not in the slightest thinking about nipple tingle cream or flavored lube.  Thanks, but no thanks.
    I know, right!? I got a PM on Facebook the other day from a girl I went to college with but haven't talked to in years, trying to sell me some Rodan & Fields products because I live in Florida now, so I must need sunblock/anti-aging products. I didn't even respond. I get that you wanted to give up your interior design career to become a SAHM and are selling these products now to finance that lifestyle - and that's great, more power to you - but leave me the hell alone! I'm sick enough of your stupid advertisements on my news feed without you PM'ing me about it now. If I haven't contacted you, it's because I don't want your products! ::end rant::
  • Options
    I dislike cold medicine. It always makes me feel worse, not better. If you can take it great, but it just doesn't work for me. Ever. I have a cold now and my OB ok-ed one type of medicine, I took one dose and within 30 minutes felt so much worse. Now I'm just drinking my Mom's spiced tea (it's amazing- sugar filled, but amazing) because it's my go-to feel good stuff when I'm sick. 
  • Options
    I actually like the Beachbody posts. I mean, I'm sitting on my ass shoving my face with food...but I'm like...go you! Thanks for the inspiration that I am definitely not putting into practice.
  • Options
    I might get flamed for this, but I don't understand why it's not more expected for babies to be in car seats on planes. Everyone is all about carseat safety in a car, but once you're on a plane, it goes out the window? If adults are expected to wear a seatbelt, how is it possibly safe for babies to just be held? I don't intend to fly with a small baby, but if I do, they will have a seat and be in the car seat.
    Every time I've flown, my child has to be belted in, not just held - not in a carseat but a lap belt that was attached to my belt. I think the biggest thing is that accidents are so rare on planes, and often if they do happen a car seat wouldn't save their life anyway, what's the point? Once they are big enough to sit in their own seat, most airlines allow you to take a carseat on the plane for your child - but up until 2 they don't have their own seat. 

Also think about the seatbelt that adults wear, not the same as a carseat at all, no cross over part, just a lap belt. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    avidkeoavidkeo member
    edited January 2016
    PYLWhammy said:
    KaKip said:
    Random UO: I do not like fruit in my salad. Get your grapes/dried cranberries/mandarin oranges/etc. out my face! Yuck!
    I love fruit in my salad.... that's the best part--- strawberries, apples, clementines, cranberries, raspberries--- I love them all! We just had a pear, pecan and cranberry salad last night. 

What I don't like is ranch dressing. EWWW... 
    Oh man. I like a little salad with my ranch dressing.
    Stop talking about Ranch Dressing - you will summon Springs1 (anyone else know about her, I'm sure there was an A14er here,

Stop talking about Ranch Dressing - you will summon Springs1 (anyone else know about her, I'm sure there was an A14er here, remember her???)

https://failfandomanonwiki.pbworks.com/w/page/63286269/Springs1
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    swflJD said:
    js8812 said:

A-fricken-men.  A girl from my graduating class PM'd me today about setting up a "girls night" so she can discuss her Pure Romance products.  Ummm... I'm 6 months pregnant and not in the slightest thinking about nipple tingle cream or flavored lube.  Thanks, but no thanks.
    I know, right!? I got a PM on Facebook the other day from a girl I went to college with but haven't talked to in years, trying to sell me some Rodan & Fields products because I live in Florida now, so I must need sunblock/anti-aging products. I didn't even respond. I get that you wanted to give up your interior design career to become a SAHM and are selling these products now to finance that lifestyle - and that's great, more power to you - but leave me the hell alone! I'm sick enough of your stupid advertisements on my news feed without you PM'ing me about it now. If I haven't contacted you, it's because I don't want your products! ::end rant::
    This makes me sound like a terrible person, but I ran into a lady I know who sells Rodan & Fields, and she had horrible break outs!!  Sorry, but if I'm going to spend that much money on skincare, I'm going to a clinical place with trained professionals.
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    I have another UO.... if a big box store offers something for sale online, they shouldn't have the option to not allow it to be picked up in the store.  The dresser we want is for sale at Target and we get free shipping with our Target card, but it's a $30 oversize shipping fee for something they could just put on the next truck to the store  :/
    Side note rant about Target
    They have a new nursery collection. There is a FABULOUS peach ombre dresser in their ads. After 30 minutes searching the site, I find out it is NOT something they sell. WHY??? Target, you have hundreds of dressers you do sell that you could advertise. Why show something that is not available? 
    Or the advertise it and don't have it available online and the pick up in store option is highlighted but won't give you any store options :(
  • Options
    tgortney said:
    vinerie said:
    My friends post pictures of themselves on top of mountains, or at culturally significant events. "Hey, look at me! I"m relevant/outdoorsy, etc." 

I pretty much hate FB. That being said, I go on every day. Then I get mad at wonder why I'm wasting my time there. 
    Because Facebook is like the fridge, you know there's nothing new but you look anyway.
    I unfollowed every single person/group/page on Facebook, so I have no newsfeed, and it's SO much better. I was so close to deactivating my account, but this way at least I don't miss out on events I'm invited to, and I can look people up if I'm interested in what they're up to, but don't get a stream of all the crap everyone's thinking/doing all day.

*I initially tried just unfollowing everyone but the 20 or so people I wanted updates on, but that turned into getting a newsfeed full of every single thing those 20 people liked, and none of it was relevant to me whatsoever, so I had to go for the full-unfollow.
  • Options
    I really like FB. It's fun to keep up with what my friends are up to if they've moved away, and I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who post interesting/thought-provoking things there. Also I get lots of pet pictures, and I like pet pictures (especially since so many of my FB friends are dog trainers and post pretty cool ones).

The secret for me was just being absolutely ruthless about pruning out everyone who was spammy or offensive. Everybody who's left is someone I'm genuinely interested in and whose posts add some kind of value to my day.
  • Options
    Here's an UO that will probably get me flamed, brought to you by my neighborhood facebook page.  I am starting to lose sympathy for people who "lose" their outdoor cats.  Someone just posted that they let their cat out last night and now she's lost.  I mean when you let out an animal unsupervised that can jump fences...this is what happens.  
    I used to only have indoor cats when I lived in Rhode Island but now in New Zealand it just isn't a possibility. It took me a long time to get used to this but a majority of people living on the north island ( at least in all the towns I have been to ) do not have window screens or screen doors. Most people don't have HVAC systems (AC and central heating) with vents through the house. Soooo to keep the air flow everyone has screenless windows and doors wide open to the outside world and indoor cats are simply unheard of. The cats go in and out all day and so do the mosquitoes, flies, wasps, bees, beetles, spiders and so on! 5 years here and I'm just getting used to it.
  • Options
    @ladysamlady your uo made ne want a salad for dinner. No veggies in it. Just chicken, grapes, orange and apple. Yummmmm

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I'm sure this will get me pelted with a bunch of opinions on the other side...but I think this idea that kids need daycare to be social is a bunch of BS. Daycare is all well and good if that's what you want to do, but i don't think your kid is bound to be a loner if they don't go to daycare 
    I surely hope not. I live in a rural area where there aren't even day cares! I stay at home with DD. I'm thinking of not sending her to the public school preschool either because it is worksheet based and not developmentally appropriate. Gasp. 
  • Options
    @Kurrant I had always heard New Zealand was very strict about having cats outside because they kill kiwi birds. Interesting that it's not the case. 

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 I totally agree with you on outdoor cats! They are so horrible for local ecosystems, they kill so many native birds. I think all cats should be kept indoors and feral cats exterminated, but people tend to get upset over that. 
  • Options
    Kids don't wear seat belts on school buses because they are above the crash line for most vehicles- they will be fine, the other car will be toast. It's also not safe if they bus gets into an accident to have 50+ students strapped to their seats and only one adult to assist. Students are taught on buses to always sit down, keep their hands in the bus, and always face forward. My school is a pre k through 8 and the pre schoolers are not allowed on the bus because they're too small. There are regulations. 
  • Options
    I know it's late but I was just reminded of an UO. 
    I love my cat and my childhood dog but imo some people take it too far when trying to save their pet from illness or injury. I just don't think animals are meant to go through multiple rounds of chemo or use prosthetics. 
    A Facebook friend of mine continues to seek treatment for her dog's cancer after he's been through no less than 5 rounds of chemo, lost an eye, and a leg. At what point is enough enough? I wish she'd let him go.... For his sake. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    Mine is there isn't an answer for everything. Sometimes things just are bc they are.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    I love my cat and my childhood dog but imo some people take it too far when trying to save their pet from illness or injury. I just don't think animals are meant to go through multiple rounds of chemo or use prosthetics. 
    A Facebook friend of mine continues to seek treatment for her dog's cancer after he's been through no less than 5 rounds of chemo, lost an eye, and a leg. At what point is enough enough? I wish she'd let him go.... For his sake. 
    :(:(:( This one is tough - we lost our 7 year old dog to cancer last year, and we would have amputated a leg if that would have fixed it and given him another 5+ years. It was too bad though, but the doctor did offer to help us explore flying our dog to an out-of-state facility to do radiation treatment several time, that would have run upwards of $30k, to buy him a few more months. It was kind of him to tell us the option - he definitely didn't seem to be advocating it, but I couldn't believe that was even a thing that people would consider. Not just because of the expense, but our poor pup's body was clearly saying it was time to let him go. Definitely necessary to consider quality of life for the critters and not just the cost.
  • Options

Funny you should mention this! 2 weeks ago my dog needed surgery because we thought she had a blockage. She was turning 1 2 days later and we ruled out all of the other potential causes. When I told my boss that I was bringing her in for surgery she commented that she would just let the dog go and that the amount of money we were going to spend could be better put towards saving another dog. I get where she was coming from, but it was a blockage, not cancer or some condition where her quality of life would be lost. I walked out of her office thinking, "did that just happen?"
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    I dont understand how people can NOT research what is happening to their bodies, or what to expect, during pregnancy. I don't think you need to have a background in scientific research or anything, but pick up a book - there are hundreds out there related to pregnancy! Sorry, the amount of "dear diary" posts recently is grating on me. Maybe not a UO, but just felt like I needed to get that off my chest and out into TB universe...

girls laugh books sandra bullock melissa mccarthy

THIS
  • Options
    yogahh said:

I couldn't agree with you more. There comes a time when you are hanging on to them for your own reasoning, and not thinking about what is best for the pet. 
    When my cat got extremely sick suddenly, the day we took him to the doctor my mom was pressuring me to put him down. We didn't even know what was wrong with him yet- I needed to at least have a diagnosis before making any decisions. Three days later, and diagnosed with an advanced cancer, I let him go. I knew he HATED the car. HATED the vet. What was I going to do? Put him through 3 months of treatment when he would just be miserable and not survive much longer.
    I do think that putting an animal down is a gut wrenching decision. But it comes with being a responsible pet owner.
    I'm going to add another dying pet story, sorry. But I agree. My beloved Reginald Fluffkins (ok, his real name was just Reggie, but that is what I called him) developed advanced renal failure. He was around 15-17 years old (not really sure since we rescued him from neglect and his teeth were horrible so the vet really couldn't give us an accurate age). When we first adopted him, we willingly made sure that he had surgery to fix his teeth and gums and had a large cyst removed from his shoulder that was impeding his gait. We knew he would have a much better quality of life if we put in the money and time to get those things taken care of. He was only about 7 or 8 at the time so he had many years left. He went to the vet regularly, we fed him the best food we could afford, we kept him indoors, we loved him and gave him everything we could. But when he developed end stage renal failure, there was no way I was putting him through dialysis. I know some people do and my sister (who is a dialysis nurse for people) offered to help teach me how to do it, but I couldn't put all that on him. He had lived an incredible life and had given us so much joy and love. We called a vet who was able to come to our house and put him down so I could say good bye to him and hold him in my arms as he peacefully passed. 

There was a part of me that wanted to keep him alive, no matter what cost, but at some point I had to realize that it wasn't what was best for him. He couldn't understand the pain of needles and medications and his body deteriorating. It was heart breaking to say good bye and to let go, but I truly believe it was an act of love and compassion. I owed that to my kitty after all he had given to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Pascal86

It is still somewhat here. People are only now starting to support shelters. There are still so many backyard breeders that it is absolutely nauseating. 

We have such a huge problem here with people who have dogs but can't afford to have them neutered. Driving through Soweto (big township) last year was so depressing cause there were too many homeless dogs just roaming the streets. 

I do understand your point to some extent though. I've also heard the horror stories from both shelters and breeders. (And when I was young I had an amazing dog who was bought from a breeder). 

There is a big difference between a responsible pet owner and the type of people I am talking about though. 

I just think at this point, only the best of breeders should be allowed to continue, in order to keep the breed alive and pure. But that people should not get their dogs pregnant on purpose so they can make money. That is irresponsible. 
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    I think people who buy puppies in store/at breeders are selfish for not at least checking out shelters beforehand. I understand sometimes you want a specific breed, but chances are that there is one out there already just waiting for an opportunity to have a home.

I also get that the puppies who are already born also needs a home but people should stop breeding like this. My one friend had her dog have puppies so she could go on holiday...

There is a movement here now to try and stop this, but there are still an alarming amount of people who shops for dogs. One guy I know actually flew in a dog from Italy. I mean ffs boet (dude) that's a bit excessive!

Edit to add: my parents and older sister are guilty of this!! 
    THIS! ALL THE WAY THIS! All our our dogs have been rescues and it just breaks my heart because all but one are wonderful, and the one that wasn't wonderful had issues most likely caused by a backyard breeder (according to my vet anyway) 
    Trust me, this is NOT an unpopular opinion. I bought my dog from someone who isn't a regular breeder, but did hire a stud to have an amazing litter of puppies, and can't tell you how many people like to not-so-subtly explain to me that they would NEVER buy a dog, and would only rescue. On the other hand, I also can't tell you how many people I know that have gotten disaster dogs from the humane society/other shelters that basically completely control their lives or ended up having to be returned - despite seeming to be the perfect dog when they picked them out.

I get that there are more virtuous ways to get a dog than to buy one from a private breeder, but I just see that as an area of my life where I've decided to be more selfish. I want to have some control over what kind of animal is going to be living in my house for the next ten+ years, and I know this doesn't discount rescue dogs because there are so many amazing ones, but it sure increases the chances.

I'm not totally defending my actions here (just a little bit), just saying I don't think it's the worst thing ever. It feels like there are a lot of areas of life where people choose between two options like this and don't get crapped on all the time for going the less ethically superior route, but people love to harp on this one.
    Yes, @Pascal86, there are a lot of ethical decisions we have to make and this happens to be one where a person will catch a lot of flak. Personally, I don't care that much about the rescue dog vs. breeders issue. Everyone makes decisions that someone else can look down on. For example, every item of clothing I'm wearing was probably made in a sweatshop. I feel bad about it, but finding clothes that I like and that fit is hard enough and I like to enjoy what I'm wearing. Or, for me, I don't get why people don't try a little harder to use reusable grocery bags. It's not difficult! Just keep them in your car and keep a bunch of bags out of the landfill.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LadyStardust179 - Yeah, it's a choose your battles kind of thing - we shouldn't be totally neglectful of what we're doing, but life gets a lot harder when you stress about every single thing you do!
  • Options

Funny you should mention this! 2 weeks ago my dog needed surgery because we thought she had a blockage. She was turning 1 2 days later and we ruled out all of the other potential causes. When I told my boss that I was bringing her in for surgery she commented that she would just let the dog go and that the amount of money we were going to spend could be better put towards saving another dog. I get where she was coming from, but it was a blockage, not cancer or some condition where her quality of life would be lost. I walked out of her office thinking, "did that just happen?" 
    I get that. My childhood dog had to lose an eye and has lived the last 10 years with one eye just fine. I think it's the repeated surgeries and medical expenses that frustrate me. Especially for older pets. At some point I think pet parents need to soul search and decide if they're doing it for the pet or themselves. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    @LadyStardust179 - Yeah, it's a choose your battles kind of thing - we shouldn't be totally neglectful of what we're doing, but life gets a lot harder when you stress about every single thing you do!
    This 100%! People love to be on their high horse about rescue dogs, and then don't recycle(as one example) So it's just a personal choice. People need to keep their nose in their own business 
  • Options
    I'm fine with people either adopting shelter dogs or buying from ethical, responsible breeders.

I spend a lot of time doing dog rescue (have been actively involved with it for years, field 30-50 emails daily as the unpaid inbox monkey for the general-intake email address of the rescue I volunteer with, have fostered over 30 dogs and written a metric crapton of educational and training materials on the subject, etc.), so obviously there's some level of commitment there. And both of my own personal dogs are shelter mutts. One of them is literally insane and would be a disaster in most pet homes, but is highly intelligent, has over 40 performance titles across multiple sports, and has been ranked top 10 worldwide in his primary sport for the two years that we were seriously competing. The other dog is the sweetest, steadiest, most affectionate family pet anyone could ever ask for (although a total bomb as a competition prospect; he has a whopping total of 3 titles and none of them are especially impressive or advanced).

So I'm well aware of both the pros and cons of shelter dog adoption. I still think it should be the default option for most people seeking friendly family pets -- those dogs are not that hard to find in rescue and they do die by the thousands for lack of homes -- but if you want/need a dog with very specific qualities (i.e., you want to compete at a high level in dog sports, are looking for a serious working dog, or have your heart set on a specific rare breed) then it makes sense to buy from a good breeder. My next dog will almost certainly be a purpose-bred purebred from an ethical breeder with a solid track record of producing dogs that excel in their disciplines.

Where I get cranky is that I just don't think most breeders are doing a very good job, and I don't think most puppy buyer are educated or disciplined enough to demand better. I have seen so many breeders, especially in doodles and poos, who just put on a complete snow job and spout a lot of jargon and sell puppies from untitled, untested stock for thousands of dollars. And buyers get fooled by this, day in and day out, because it's a pretty opaque world and there's no objective standard or authority that you can go to for information. Consumer Reports for dogs just doesn't exist.

That's the part that I get grumpy about.

/soapbox
  • Options
    Also about breeding vs rescue... my childhood dog was a Kheeshond we 'rescued' as in we bought her at 1 yo from someone who was selling her in the paper as he and his wife were getting a divorce.  I loved her a lot, but she was definitely crazy for at least a solid 5 years, but she mellowed with age before she passed.  Then about 9/10 years ago my parents got a Pomeranian / pom mix from the Humane Society, who they thought was so calm and mellow, turned out to be intensely type A who only cared about my dad and was basically just a big weirdo.

And their current dog, who they bought from a breeder as a puppy, is the craziest of them all.  He chews on EVERYTHING and has nipping/biting problems, and tends to leap at your face in excitement if you're too close.  They took him to puppy classes and he pretty much barked the whole way through.
    Anniversary

• Options
    @LadySamLady - I did too! Mine was fruit punch flavored and delicious. It didn't taste overly sweet either. I was kinda sad I only had 5 minutes to drink it.