August 2015 Moms

Teething help! (Getting through the night)

My LO finally got on a sleep schedule/ was sleeping through the night in his crib. Just when I was about to celebrate BAM, welcome teething! He is back to being fussy at night.

Does any one have suggestions or pre-sleep routines that were successful without throwing your previous routine/ progress out the window?

I've tried the Highland dissolving tablets, a cool teether, and rubbing his gums but that has only provided minimal to no relief.

Teething can take up to two years, so I am trying to figure out the best way to cater to him long term not just making it through one night. Maybe I'm overthinking it since it just started, but figured I would ask!

Re: Teething help! (Getting through the night)

• L only gets relief from infants Oragel. They have separate day and night tubes. We put that on, rub his gums for a couple minutes until it kicks in and he is good to go for the night.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• We just use Tylenol. Talk to your pedi to get correct dosage. Motrin is even better if you can get approval and dosage from your pedi because it gets rid of inflammation and pain rather than just pain. I use these at night and only during the day if LO really needs it.

Our pedi says to never use baby orajel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pediatrician suggested Tylenol. Motrin is ok if they are over 6 months. We were also told to never use baby Oragel due to a toxin that has been linked to severe reactions/issues for some babies.
  • My LO is 3.5 months (from Sept) and we just started using a Baltic Amber necklace around his ankle at night, neck during day and it seems to be working. He's definitely happier and no low grade fever since, he still drools quite a bit though. I'm impressed so far.
  • We just use Tylenol. Talk to your pedi to get correct dosage. Motrin is even better if you can get approval and dosage from your pedi because it gets rid of inflammation and pain rather than just pain. I use these at night and only during the day if LO really needs it.

We just use Tylenol. Talk to your pedi to get correct dosage. Motrin is even better if you can get approval and dosage from your pedi because it gets rid of inflammation and pain rather than just pain. I use these at night and only during the day if LO really needs it.

I have heard this too about the orajel. It can numb their throat making it difficult to swallow.

• I've been nervous about giving Tylenol at night because of the flavoring, it must have sugar in it? anyone have any trouble with their LO sleeping?
  • lrwardrop said:

I've been nervous about giving Tylenol at night because of the flavoring, it must have sugar in it? anyone have any trouble with their LO sleeping?

No, not at all. Also my LO has been given sugar water at the hospital to put an Iv in and it doesn't effect her at all by keeping her awake, she still sleeps.
  • Same as above, we have LO Tylenol and he slept better
  • mrsb30 said:

We just use Tylenol. Talk to your pedi to get correct dosage. Motrin is even better if you can get approval and dosage from your pedi because it gets rid of inflammation and pain rather than just pain. I use these at night and only during the day if LO really needs it.

I have heard this too about the orajel. It can numb their throat making it difficult to swallow.

Have you tried the liquid infant Tylenol? It numbed my tongue right out, so I'm not getting the difference. :-/
    I use Tylenol at night if she's been fussy throughout the day. I have to mix it in a bottle though because she won't take it straight up.
    During the day, I let her chew on my fingers. I know I'll regret this tactic later haha

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we use tylenol and it works pretty well. i'm not saying my kid sleeps through the night, but he's not miserable anymore. He still wakes up as soon as it wears off usually. You can usually get silipap drops from any pharmacy, i think they may keep them behind the counter, but they dont' require a script. My pharmacist friend gets them for me, its concentrated acetaminophen without sugar. you only need like .8 ml or something instead of a 1/2 tsp of tylenol.
  • amazon's always a good resource too for meds you can't find in the store, this is what we use sometimes

https://www.amazon.com/Silarx-Infants-Acetaminophen-Compare-Tylenol/dp/B001QJ90PU

• micshi said:

mrsb30 said:

Have you tried the liquid infant Tylenol? It numbed my tongue right out, so I'm not getting the difference. :-/
    I use Tylenol at night if she's been fussy throughout the day. I have to mix it in a bottle though because she won't take it straight up.
    During the day, I let her chew on my fingers. I know I'll regret this tactic later haha
    micshi said:

mrsb30 said:

@micshi sorry I'm just now seeing this. I have tasted the infant Tylenol, I didn't have that happen. I'm not sure what the difference is, I had just read to be careful with orajel because of that.
  • Our dr said that the orajel washes off the gums so quick its useless but never mentioned the throat numbing which does make perfect sense. I just bought teething tablets for daycare as they are mommy guilting me about his gnawing on his fists... I am looking into a teething necklace. I personally love amber so will probably purchase regardless lol So far my lo hasnt been too fussy from it just needs things to pull into to gnaw on at night so we put his keys or rings in with him.
  • Update: First tooth in!
  • How long did your LO show symptoms of teething prior to the tooth breaking?
  • LO's first 2 teeth came in the same week. He was screaming all day on a sunday and by monday night the first came in and around wed or thursday the seconds one did. We are currently have been dealing with swollen top gums for a week now
  • Orajel and teething tablets are so dangerous!  Do your research...talk to your Dr....here is just one link:  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm306062.htm

Google the dangers of both....some of the tablets have also been linked to potential poisoning among other risks!

Tylenol, Motrin, teething toys, frozen wash cloths....all you need.
  • Miz_Liz said:
    Orajel and teething tablets are so dangerous!  Do your research...talk to your Dr....here is just one link:  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm306062.htm

Google the dangers of both....some of the tablets have also been linked to potential poisoning among other risks!

I did both, and found that Orajel is recommended by my Pedi, and that the research out there wasn't conclusive enough that I would forego the benefits unless L had an issue with it.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Miz_Liz said:
    Orajel and teething tablets are so dangerous!  Do your research...talk to your Dr....here is just one link:  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm306062.htm

I did both, and found that Orajel is recommended by my Pedi, and that the research out there wasn't conclusive enough that I would forego the benefits unless L had an issue with it.
    That link I posted is the FDA saying they don't recommend it and it can cause a condition that results in death...that's enough for me to say no way and stick with Tylenol and Motrin.  Wouldn't go to a pedi that recommended infant orajel.  
  • Geez I had no idea about the teething tablets! Thanks for the info, they just went down the drain !
  • Are you talking about hylands teething tablets?
  • He was teething since at least 3 months (heavy drool at first, but then it got noticeably worse a few weeks prior to the tooth - flushed cheeks, irritation, etc). It broke through right before 5 months, and now he has his second one (which came 2 weeks after)
  • momma2charmomma2char member
    edited February 2016
    My Pedi recommended the homeopathic Orajel and she had just completed medical school, as did many pharmacists in my city.. Most pharmacies don't sell the others because of the risks associated with them. I'm in Canada however, and the only Orajel made for 1year and younger is the green homeopathic one anyway, and it has no numbing agents whatsoever :smile: only ingredients are calcium phosphate, chamomile and coffea cruda... Paraben, dye and sugar free. All of the other orajels like mentioned above are very dangerous. The homeopathic one has worked so well for my girl :smile: I do have to use Tylenol a couple of times a day though, and definitely throughout the night