November 2015 Moms
Options

Zika Virus- new cdc recommendations

smnewbysmnewby member
edited January 2016 in November 2015 Moms
Wanted to share in case people are unaware. I know some members are thinking of trying for a second child in the near future.

There is a new recommendation by the cdc that women interested in conceiving should avoid the Caribbean for 2 years prior to conception.

My SIL is an OB and we were out at dinner last night. She knows the physician at the CDC who wrote the new recommendation. I am not sure if it has been published everywhere yet so wanted to let you know my source before anyone undertakes an internet search and possibly sees something different.

Re: Zika Virus- new cdc recommendations

• Options
    Really they are recommending avoiding that area for years prior to pregnancy? Everything I've read about the virus is it is out of your system after a few weeks. The problem is most women don't even know they have it. In addition, it seems it can live in sperm for longer but more research needs to be done on that.

Lastly, why does your post only reference the carribean? This virus is prevalent in many areas in addition to the carribean.
  • Options
    smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    Our discussion hinged on the Carribean. But yes it includes other areas. We were discussing how its going to wreck tourism in the area. Who wants to honeymoon or vaca with that kind of recommendation!!!!

With regard to the 2 years prior part... i dont know why exactly but I know that is the recommendation. We didnt discuss those details.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What impact would the virus have on the baby? I was in Jamaica and DS was conceived less that a year later, just wondering if there was any long term issues I should watch for.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

What impact would the virus have on the baby? I was in Jamaica and DS was conceived less that a year later, just wondering if there was any long term issues I should watch for.

Never mind, Google answered my question.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/zika-virus-five-things-you-need-know-n496766
    Looks like it can cause a pretty serious birth defect, so no need to worry about existing children. Other articles mentioned they expected it to spread to the US, I am guessing we will hear more about this in the future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Correct. Its nothing for us to fear w our little ones. I just remember the thread where people were discussing their plans for future pregnancies. Definitely relevant for them!
  • Options
    The CDC is expecting the virus to spread to all of the Americas (USA included) except Canada and Chile at some point in time. Currently there's 3-4 countries (Jamaica is one, I forget the rest) that have issued a recommendation for their own citizens/residents to avoid pregnancy in the next 6 months -2 years(different countries recommended different lengths of time). Brazil made this recommendation for their people last November. Its expected the CDC will issue a blanket recommendation regarding a time frame to hold off conceiving as well as which countries it should apply to. Hopefully it won't be as bad as expected...poor babies.
  • Options

The CDC is expecting the virus to spread to all of the Americas (USA included) except Canada and Chile at some point in time. Currently there's 3-4 countries (Jamaica is one, I forget the rest) that have issued a recommendation for their own citizens/residents to avoid pregnancy in the next 6 months -2 years(different countries recommended different lengths of time). Brazil made this recommendation for their people last November. Its expected the CDC will issue a blanket recommendation regarding a time frame to hold off conceiving as well as which countries it should apply to. Hopefully it won't be as bad as expected...poor babies.

Wow. I can't imagine the hit those places would take if no babies are born for 2 years. That's crazy
  • Options
    If a woman who is not pregnant is bitten by a mosquito and infected with Zika virus, will her future pregnancies be at risk?
    We do not know the risk to the baby if a woman is infected with Zika virus while she is pregnant. However, Zika virus infection does not pose a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for only a few days to a week. The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood.

This is from the cdc website
  • Options

Really they are recommending avoiding that area for years prior to pregnancy? Everything I've read about the virus is it is out of your system after a few weeks. The problem is most women don't even know they have it. In addition, it seems it can live in sperm for longer but more research needs to be done on that.

Lastly, why does your post only reference the carribean? This virus is prevalent in many areas in addition to the carribean.

Agreed. Not mention this will be in the states shortly. The mosquito that carries the virus has been none to come as far north as new York and as far west as Illinois, though perfer the hot humid places ( which is why Mexico travel is cautioned as a precaution).

The risk is primarily only in the 1st Tri prior to the neural tube closing.
  • Options
    I saw in the paper that there were cases in New York. I think 3 confirmed.
  • Options
    Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited January 2016

I saw in the paper that there were cases in New York. I think 3 confirmed.

All cases in ny were found in people who traveled to the counties in the warning list. There's not a mosquito flying in ny at the moment, so make sure to share the whole story.
  • Options
    smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    Imo the scary part is that an infected person can cause spread:

If you have Zika, protect others from getting sick

During the first week of infection, Zika virus can be found in the blood and passed from an infected person to another mosquito through mosquito bites. An infected mosquito can then spread the virus to other people.

Thats from the cdc.
  • Options

its apparently hit Alberta, Canada now.

• Options
    @skabanak
    Someone has it in Alberta, the mosquitos containing the virus are not in Alberta, the person picked it up on holiday. 
  • Options
    Ahhh ok! I should have looked at the article I read closer thanks @ckeate
  • Options
    smnewby said:
    Imo the scary part is that an infected person can cause spread: If you have Zika, protect others from getting sick During the first week of infection, Zika virus can be found in the blood and passed from an infected person to another mosquito through mosquito bites. An infected mosquito can then spread the virus to other people. Thats from the cdc.
    I also find this to be one of the scarier facts if someone comes home and doesn't know they have it and get bit..