Natural Birth

Bradley Method vs. Hypnobirthing

Hi ladies! This is my first pregnancy and I'm attempting to deliver my baby unmedicated. Currently weighing the options of whether to try the Bradley method or hypnobirthing. Do you have a preference? What did you like/dislike about them? Thank you for any input!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Bradley Method vs. Hypnobirthing

• I'm looking forward to reading these responses as well! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm looking forward to reading these responses as well! 
    Are you also trying to decide between the two? What are your thoughts so far, if so?

My initial feeling is that hypnobirthing will be very internal, with my husband having a minimal role other than light massage, but I don't know if this is true. I know my husband wants to be quite involved and I'd like to connect with him during the labor process and not just be in my own world and my own head. Though I do think that I'd relate to the hypnobirthing practice a lot as I meditate and visualize already in my life. I like that Bradley is so focused on the coach being a partner, but I'm not sure what specific coping mechanisms they use.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a similar thought process. My husband has been very much involved so far and us being a team during birth is very important to both of us.

Another concern I have with hypnobirthing is my normal ability to meditate. Even during the last few minutes of prenatal yoga, when I'm supposed to relax and meditate, I have trouble not focusing on other things or letting my mind wonder. I feel like I would need to be fully dedicated to that mindset, and I just have a very busy mind. Hopefully during childbirth, that won't be the case, but I won't know that until it's here. I also don't fully understand the difference between hypnobirthing and hypnobabies. I just realized they're not the same thing this week, so there's lots of research to be done. I have a friend who did hypnobabies and she had a great experience. I don't know anyone personally who has used Bradley or Hypnobirthing. 
  • I used hypnobirthing and recommend it.  I didn't do any classes (not sure they offer them?) but I did get the book that comes with a CD.  I listened to the CD for a couple months before I went into labor and I absolutely loved it.  I am also not normally very good at meditating, but the book and CD gives you some very useful techniques.  I have never done the Bradley method so I cannot comment on that.  I do have to say that birthing for me and dealing with pain is a very internal thing.  I keep to myself and draw inward to deal with it.  I do not like distractions.  This was honestly an amazing method for me and I plan on using it again.  Hypnobirthing teaches you techniques on relaxing through contractions and going "with" the contraction, which in turn makes it less painful then if you were to tense up during a contraction.  I highly recommend learning how to meditate if you plan on having a natural birth.  I did not learn how to before my first labor, and I used hypnobirthing with my second labor and there was a HUGE difference. 
    What book did you use?
  • Can't speak to either of those, but I had a good experience using the Hypnobabies home study course. The cues that it provided for DH to use during delivery were really helpful.
    Both of those that you have listed are designed to be completed in person, so in making your decision, it might help to check the availability/schedule of classes in your metro area.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• I used hypnobirthing and recommend it.  I didn't do any classes (not sure they offer them?) but I did get the book that comes with a CD.  I listened to the CD for a couple months before I went into labor and I absolutely loved it.  I am also not normally very good at meditating, but the book and CD gives you some very useful techniques.  I have never done the Bradley method so I cannot comment on that.  I do have to say that birthing for me and dealing with pain is a very internal thing.  I keep to myself and draw inward to deal with it.  I do not like distractions.  This was honestly an amazing method for me and I plan on using it again.  Hypnobirthing teaches you techniques on relaxing through contractions and going "with" the contraction, which in turn makes it less painful then if you were to tense up during a contraction.  I highly recommend learning how to meditate if you plan on having a natural birth.  I did not learn how to before my first labor, and I used hypnobirthing with my second labor and there was a HUGE difference. 
    What book did you use?
    Pretty sure it was Hynobirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to safe, easier, more comfortable birthing (3rd edition)
  • Thanks for the input, ladies! I live in NYC and have highly recommended Bradley and hypnobirthing options that can do privates that fit with my schedule so the availability fortunately isn't a problem. Almost too many great options! I really appreciate the feedback on your experiences, thank you.

I too don't know the difference between hypnobirthing and hypnobabies. Will have to research that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did hypnobabies with my second birth and I will again this time.  It was AMAZING!!!  My husband keeps asking when we can start practicing again.  He was so involved.  I really feel like the hypnobabies practice brought us so much closer together during the pregnancy.  With hypnobabies, my birthing time was so comfortable.  My mom still tells everyone how she can't believe I was in labor.  It was such a thorough and informative class and taught us all the positions to help with birth, with the added benefit of being able to relax my mind so that I didn't feel any "pain".  I can't say enough wonderful things about it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • miababy said:
    I did hypnobabies with my second birth and I will again this time.  It was AMAZING!!!  My husband keeps asking when we can start practicing again.  He was so involved.  I really feel like the hypnobabies practice brought us so much closer together during the pregnancy.  With hypnobabies, my birthing time was so comfortable.  My mom still tells everyone how she can't believe I was in labor.  It was such a thorough and informative class and taught us all the positions to help with birth, with the added benefit of being able to relax my mind so that I didn't feel any "pain".  I can't say enough wonderful things about it!
    Wow, that is so cool! I will have to look into it, thanks!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another vote for hypnobabies. I'll be using it again this pregnancy

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For the ladies that used the Hypnobabies technique... did you deliver at home or in the hospital? I'm curious as to whether you discussed that you'd be using this with your OB/GYN prior to giving birth and what their reaction was. I'm 3/4 of the way through the book and am somewhat confused about the advice given about NOT pushing and using your breath to relax so that baby comes out naturally. I have read so many birth stories about moms feeling a huge urge to push and it seems a little contradictory that the books says to listen to your body but then says ignore this urge and do everything to not push as it could cause damage to the pelvic floor. 
    I'm wondering how/if mom's instructed the nurses to NOT encourage them to push and whether they were told that there was to be no push for 10 seconds then relax (the "purple pushing")

• We are currently attending Bradley courses and LOVE IT! They teach about exercises during pregnancy and birth and positions to help baby get into good position for birth, about the emotional and physical signposts for each stage of labor and what the husband can do to help the wife work through them, they teach about nutrition and why it is so important and how to deal with hospital settings and what you can do to avoid being bullied into procedures.  My husband and I have LOVED being a team through this because with DS he was basically told to shush and stand in the corner during his birth. I looked into hyponobirth but I really wanted my husband to be my support and be a much more integral part of the experience.
  • @PinkLady2015 I gave birth at a birth center. I talked briefly about it with my midwife and she was pretty optimistic about it. The breathing down baby is more for the women that don't get an urge to push right away. Being aware of what your body is doing and working with it to birth the baby in the most efficient way possible. I did include mother directed pushing in my birth preferences but I started involuntarily pushing (body doing it without me) so it was kind of a non-issue

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We took Bradley and successfully had a natural vaginal birth.  I rely heavily on my partner during labor, so that worked well for us. One of the other things Bradley really stressed was all round good health and being an informed patient.  I felt really prepared to advocate for myself if interventions were suggested that I didn't want at that time.  I think that additional information was really helpful to me. The other thing that was special to me for Bradley was attending the classes with other like minded couples. I made some really good friends and that fellowship was really nice. 
  • I prefer GentleBirth over HypnoBabies. Bradley puts a lot of pressure on the guy to support you, so it depends if your partner is up for that.
    Anniversary
  • This is an older thread so lots of you have had your babies already!  I took a hypnobirthing class and am currently practicing the Mongan Method of hypnobirthing.  I read the book and practice my relaxation daily.  I am someone who has a hard time sitting still and who has a busy mind and I find that the relaxation practice helps tremendously.  For me, I know that hypnobirthing is not going to be lying still and quiet, I will be moving and making noise but I can still do that in a relaxed state.  I feel like OH is very involved in the process, we took the classes together and we practice meditations together several times a week.  The one thing our class was missing was it didn't go over any counter pressure moves, only light touch massage. Luckily there are lots of videos on yourtube to teach counter pressure and labor massage techniques.  We are also hiring a doula who will help support both of us.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!