February 2016 Moms
Options

Lactation

I am due Feb 14th so only a day over 37 week. It is my first baby and I haven't started lactating yet. Isn't this something that should have happened by now????

I am really hoping to breast feed but starting to think this isn't going to be an option.

Just wondering if anyone else is delayed on this as well. Should I worry or is it normal for it to not start until baby comes?

Re: Lactation

• Options
    I'm due Feb 11th and nothing for me yet either. I'm not worried. As far as I know we'll start with colostrum for the first few days after giving birth until milk comes in. I've heard of women lactating before baby is born, but its completely normal to have nothing for days after they are born.
  • Options
    100% normal. In fact, it's more normal to have nothing than to have something prior to delivery. After baby is born, you don't instantly have milk, either. It starts as colostrum and is all baby needs until your milk comes in a few days later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Milk doesn't really 'come in' until a couple days after birth for us first timers. Colostrum is on reserve in there till our supply comes in so I wouldn't worry since it's totally normal.
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Options
    I should add that I was still breastfeeding until I was around 8wks pregnant, but have since dried up and have just a tiny bit (a couple drops) of colostrum if I hand express it. There's nothing to be worried about.

• Options
    What PP said. Your actual milk won't come in until after baby is born. Some good books on breastfeeding are The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears. You may want to read up on it. It's not just about putting a boob in a baby's mouth.
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Of all my mommy friends, I've only had one say she lactated before delivery.  And she had just stopped breastfeeding her 1st child a few months before hand.  So she quit with the one, and a couple months later she started leaking.  
    This is my 2nd, I'm due in 2 weeks and I'm not lactating yet.  I definitely didn't produce early with my first. In fact, due to the c-section, I didn't start producing anything for a couple days after either and had to supplement.  
    Sooooooo completely normal!  Don't stress.  Your body will produce when its time!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    Most mothers' milk comes in 3-ish days after delivery. That's when mine did, and holy crap did I make A LOT of milk (I credit injesting my placenta but who knows?). I nursed a very hungry baby for almost two years and never had supply problems, yet never lactated at all till baby arrived. Don't worry about supply yet just get that baby to latch on and give it some time.
  • Options
    Google the image of how big baby's stomach is in the first couple of weeks. (Like, the size of a marble at birth.) The colostrum that u produce after birth comes out in milliliters but is super concentrated with fats and nutrients and is all they need each feeding until your actual milk comes in a couple days later. U dont have to lactate before birth.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    I didn't have anything come in before DS1 was born, we had no issues nursing. Then milk reaaaally came in on day 5. Holy engorgement! I had to pump some off so that he was able to latch. Successfully went on to BF for 13 months so don't stress, early leaking means nothing! I do have some colostrum this time at 37 weeks but I think that's more related to the fact that I just quit nursing DS1 around 18 weeks into this pregnancy.
  • Options
    Oh God no.  Most women don't lactate until the baby is born.  It took me like 3 days for my milk to start coming in after my son was born.  I'd get like a drop of colostrum and be all excited for days.
  • Options
    oh, and as a follow on, I was able to nurse my son for almost a year :)
  • Options
    I never lactated before birth with my other two pregnancies and haven't with this one either (due in 10 days). FWIW I made plenty of milk... probably enough to feed the neighborhood. Every woman is different. You're just fine!

• Options
    SgtLou2SgtLou2 member
    edited January 2016
    My milk didn't come in until about day 5 with DD. I had no leaking or colostrum prior to delivery with her. I was 9-10 weeks pregnant this time when I finished weaning DD. I have had no milk/leakage since then and I don't expect anything until after baby boy arrives (I'm currently 38w 4d). So having nothing at this point is perfectly normal. And honestly, they don't need much at all the first week... They may eat often, but they won't eat much at each feeding.