August 2016 Moms

Babymoons and the Zika Virus

2»

Re: Babymoons and the Zika Virus

• My destination wedding is Feb 15 in Punta Cana, and I'm 8 weeks pregnant. Dominical Republic issued a request that citizens dont get ptegbant last week, even though thety arent officially on thse CDC advisory list. We're pretty sure we're cancelling the wedding. Such a bummer, but the lost money and missed celebration us not worth the risk in my opinion. It's a very personal decision for every mom to be, and the research isn't conclusive yet. I guess I'm just being extra cautious. I don't think I could even enjoy myself there anyway I'd be worrying about it so much.
  • @Knottie18291280 :( I'm so sorry that you're going to have to cancel your big day!  Being pregnant is supposed to be a happy and exciting time.. don't these stupid mosquitoes know that? In all seriousness though, it sounds like you're making the right decision.  Weddings can be stressful enough without having to worry about a major health risk.  I'm sure you and your fiance will have an amazing wedding whenever and wherever you decide to have it :)  

@tmk0325 I agree.. probably not the best to plan a trip anywhere in the Caribbean right now until more information comes out.  I'm looking into Florida but I really want that resort feel that we would have gotten in Jamaica, etc.  Suggestions are welcome but maybe that's for a different thread?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @lucypod there are lots of places in Florida that will give you that resort feel! They just won't be all inclusive. :smile: You should check out Sanibel Island (by Ft Myers), Miami, Florida Keys, or any of the major beach cities. I'm also doing the same or completely shifting focus and looking towards Arizona/Grand Canyon since I've never been there.

@Knottie18291280 I'm so sorry to hear about your wedding! We are set to leave Feb 18 and I think we will probably cancel too. I hope you find a great location for it!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tmk0325  I think if we go to Florida we'll probably stick to the Gulf Coast just because we know so many people in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area, and no offense to them but we just want this trip to be about the 2 of us :). I've always wanted to go to Key West but we're looking to go in April and I don't want to deal with throngs of Spring Breakers.  I don't mind if my husband has as many drinks as he'd like, but I'd rather not be surrounded by party animals.  I will definitely do some research into Ft Myers, Naples, etc. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a trip to PR for a wedding later this year and its concerning but I'm not cancelling yet.  We'll see how the news goes and then decide.

If it makes you feel any better, I tend to be a mosquito magnet and Ive never gotten bitten on a beach in Mexico before.  Mosquitos don't like wind so beaches aren't usually where they hang out.  I would think if you use bug spray and aren't going to a place where ZIVA is known, you are probably okay.
  • Curious if anyone has any thoughts about the Bahamas (canceling/ planning/ or continuing trips there). While the Bahamas are not technically part of the Carribean they are pretty darn close. However, they're about the same latitude as Key West and Miami and can't think of any reason to be more nervous about traveling to the Bahamas vs. South Florida.
  • @ZedPM3 We're headed to Canada too!

Does the company have other options? For example, could you go to Bermuda instead, and possibly pay a bit more?

Also, I would ask if your tickets are transferable. If they are, maybe you can resell them to a friend?

• I wouldn't go. I am in the medical field and have been following this for a while now. I expect this issue to become a big, horrific deal soon... In Brazil, a rise from 150 cases of microcephaly per year to 3500 cases since October is huge, it's unthinkable. Today a similar case has been identified in Hawaii... Not to be an alarmist here but with these statistics, you couldn't pay me to go anywhere near - and I've lived in Iraq while pregnant with my second so I wouldn't call myself risk averse :)

ALL of this!
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I'm going to Aruba, supposedly, in 1 week. It's not on the list but it is *right* there. I am asking my high risk doc about it tomorrow. He has THE most up to date info. I have no idea if I can get our rental refunded. I keep talking myself down but then one more person asks about it.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Well unfortunately there have now been confirmed cases here in Florida (Miami and hillsborough county .) They were from individuals who were abroad, but if mosquitos bite them here then the virus can spread here too.
  • I would cancel anywhere in the Caribbean.  The number of countries with cases has increase, it seems, over the past few days and I expect it to spread more, maybe even to Southern FL.  I'm in the process of dealing with travel insurance to get reimbursed for our trip to St. Martin in late March.  It's so disappointing!  We were really looking forward to one last hoopla sans kiddo!  Are there any destinations anyone can think of that are not remotely near the Caribbean where I can get a virgin Pina Colada and a friggin' tan???

P.S.  I'm a teacher, so I will be a complete wreck by the end of March.  Advice please?!
  • In follow up, NPR is doing a whole show on this very serious issue today: https://onpoint.wbur.org/2016/01/20/zika-virus-brazil-infants-risk

• @tefft we're going to Hawaii...you could definitely get a virgin Pina Colada there. There was one case in Hawaii, but the woman had lived in Brazil, and that's where she was bitten. Hawaii is definitely far away from the Caribbean, but still has a nice tropical feel!
  • This one little bit about how this is transmitted is very important:

Researchers currently believe the Zika virus is spread mainly through mosquitoes. A mosquito bites an infected person, draws blood, and contracts the virus. When it then goes and bites another person, the virus spreads. (vox.com/2016/1/20/10795562/zika-virus-cdc-mo…)

So that would mean that somebody who had Zika virus would need to get bitten, and while you are at your destination, you would need to be bitten by an infected mosquito. Then you would have to assume that you would actually get the virus, and the following potential ramifications. So I seriously question if you were someplace (like Aruba, where I am slated to go), that's not on the list and you aren't around a lot of people, and you wear bug spray, what kind of risk there is...

Pregnancy is all about avoiding risks. But your chance of getting into a car accident is still much greater (like exponentially) than getting this illness. The main concern, I think, is if you can even enjoy your trip and put your anxiety to bed. Your/my risk of that anxiety is about 100% while your chance of Zika is like 0.001%.

*****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • @tefft Bermuda! It's so isolated out there, I bet it won't be impacted - It hasn't yet!

• HeyStVincentHeyStVincent member
    edited January 2016
    I also work in healthcare and this is my professional advice: There is a lot that is not known about how Zika virus may be implicated in microcephaly.  That said, it does seem to have a strong link to the microcephaly cases being seen in Brazil. For example, the virus has been found in the placentas and in the brain tissue of  babies who were born with microcephaly. The virus has also been found in the placentas of women who miscarried.

You have to be cautious about saying this is absolutely causing the increase in microcephaly because correlation does not always equal causation.  That said, because there does seem to be a strong link and because there are still a lot of unknowns around how infection may be impacting pregnancies, I would NOT take a vacation to any of the places that the CDC is advising against.  Why risk it if you don't have to?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6502e1er.htm
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/19/health/zika-virus-screening-for-pregnant-women/
  • I have no clue what I am going to do. We have a family vacation with my sister in-law and in-laws flying in to Mexico in March. I am pretty upset with my Dr. I called her and she said I don't have any information to help you. We have had this vacation planned for over a year, rooms booked (no cancellation) flights booked and not to mention we have not taken a vacation in over 2 years. 

I've been doing a lot of research and am on the fence. My Dr. is retiring at the lovely age of 40 .. must be nice :) and I have a new appointment with my new Dr on the 9th. I will see what she says. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am in the exactly same situation. I booked my babymoon to Playa del Carmen back in November. I am going to be 27 weeks pregnant when we go (if we go) on February 3rd. I told my doctor yesterday.... although she seemed worry at first, then she said I should be fine because I am out of my first trimester. 

Still, I don't know what to do. So far there has been only 25 cases in Mexico. Chances are, I am not going to get it. But, am I going to be worry? yes. all. the. time. 

I don't know what to do! Vacations were booked with no cancellation. I could lose over 2K. But then again, is it truly safe if I'm going to be close to my third trimester?... aaaaah 
  • Well ladies, I just cancelled my dream vacation. Zumba fitness was sending me on a Zumba Cruise to Haiti and Jamaica as a thank your for work I did for them. As soon as I heard about Zika, I went to two different doctors to ask if I could still go. Both said no way! I asked if I could go and just not leave the cruise ship, but they said people could easily carry Mosquitos back on the ship or they could fly on board at the port. It seems so crazy having to cancel a dream vacation because of a bug! But it's going to be worth it for all of us who get to have beautiful healthy children!!! So let's see this as a blessing not a curse! Yes this sucks- we all need and deserve a virgin piña colada on the beach- but thank God we found out about this disease BEFORE the vacations and not after returning!
  • We were planning a baby on in Mexico, had the hotel chosen and everything...we were going to book by the end of this week!  We were really looking forward to the trip and torn, but just feel it isn't worth the risk and decided on Arizona instead. It will be more expensive, but at least there will be peace of mind. 

I feel for those of you that have already booked trips, that is such a tough decision!  I would just trust your gut on that one; call the hotels and airlines and explain the situation and that you don't have doctor's clearance.  If they won't offer a refund, perhaps they can at least give you credit for future use. 
    Me: 32
    DH: 40
    Married: 2 years

• Just wanted to share that we decided to cancel our trip to the Dominican Republic in February, even though the DR is not on the current list, all of the surrounding countries are.  While I am sad, I feel it is probably for the best. Thankfully we took out the insurance when we booked, so we can get a refund for everything except the insurance.

If you hadn't heard the CDC also added more countries to the list on Friday.  Here is the updated list: 
    • Barbados
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • Cape Verde
    • Colombia
    • Ecuador
    • El Salvador
    • French Guiana
    • Guadeloupe
    • Guatemala
    • Guyana
    • Haiti
    • Honduras
    • Martinique
    • Mexico
    • Panama
    • Paraguay
    • Puerto Rico
    • Saint Martin
    • Samoa
    • Suriname
    • Venezuela
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DuchessJP we decided on Arizona also!  We're going to Sedona in early April for a long weekend.. how about you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tmk0325 - Two days ago Dominican Republic announced they have 10 cases of Zika. The announcement came out right after the new list was published so I'm sure it will be on the next list to come out. We're supposed to be heading there in April, for a wedding, so I've been watching it carefully, in hopes that somehow it will miss the DR. Sadly that didn't happen!

If you are traveling south and really worried make sure to Google "Zika" and the name of the country you are going to. Just because it's not on the list doesn't mean Zika hasn't made it's way there.
  • @Sekerambo yeah I figured it would be sooner than later. Glad we cancelled when we did!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just found this information on DEET bug repellant in case it is helpful to you! https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/deet-nn-ethyl-m-toluamide-pregnancy/pdf/
  • Also, in case it is helpful to anyone, Victoria's Secret Bombshell perfume is supposed to repel mosquitos as well. I live in a muggy area close to the swamps and know it's only a matter of time before it spreads to the US and especially south Louisiana. So, I'm buying that perfume tomorrow and just putting it on everyday as part of my daily routine.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • kristynmackristynmac member
    edited January 2016
    Not sure if any of you have seen this yet, but United Airlines is offering to refund, or reschedule trips for pregnant women that were planning to travel to one of the 23 countries on the CDC list.

"The virus has spread to at least 23 countries. United Airlines will refund passengers with tickets to places affected by the Zika virus, or allow them to reschedule their trip at no cost, a spokesperson told Reuters."

Article: https://time.com/money/4194764/united-airlines-refund-zika/
  • United and American are offering full refunds for flights to the countries on the travel warning. I called United and was given no hassle. They did not ask for confirmation of pregnancy and the whole call lasted about five minutes or less.

One of our flights was on JetBlue and I had similar luck. I didn't get a refund but I was issued travel credit and the cancellation fee was waived
  • We are supposed to be vacationing in San Diego in 3 weeks, but I am nervous about going because it is so close to Mexico. Does anyone know WHERE in Mexico the virus was found? If it was just in the southern part of the country, I would not be so nervous about going to San Diego!
  • @smd1313 I live near San Diego and you have nothing to worry about here. I had to cancel my trip to Mexico in March and now we are debating on Hawaii or just doing something local in San Diego. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not trying to add to the hype or anything, but my pregnant friend just sent me this article and thought I would pass it on:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/health/two-cases-suggest-zika-virus-could-be-spread-through-sex.html?referer=&_r=0
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • @lucypod Any  suggestions / feedback for Sedona? We are looking into that as well!
  • @Knottie12269996  unfortunately we decided not to go to Sedona and just do a weekend away closer to home.  But Enchantment Resort (where we were going to stay) would definitely be my recommendation!

BabyFruit Ticker