3rd Trimester

Induce labor naturally

What are some fun ways to induce labor naturally? I'm 37 weeks pregnant today, as of Friday 01/23/15 I'm like 2 cm dilated. Selfish as it sounds I'm so ready to pop this baby girl!

Re: Induce labor naturally

• Loading the player...
  • *Lurker* My doctor told me that 37 is the eariest (safe) time to have a baby. It is considered to be full term - that being said yes its best to wait until the baby comes on its own as she is still growing/developing.

Me personally I am aiming for 37/38 due to previous and current complications (looking like c section). This is all being decided with my doctor's approval.
  • *Lurker* My doctor told me that 37 is the eariest (safe) time to have a baby. It is considered to be full term - that being said yes its best to wait until the baby comes on its own as she is still growing/developing.

Me personally I am aiming for 37/38 due to previous and current complications (looking like c section). This is all being decided with my doctor's approval.

The 37 weeks=full term thing is not true. I heard that sometimes when I was pregnant 6 years ago and asked my doctor and he very firmly explained that is not true. Seems weird a doctor would tell you that.

• I am only sharing what some of my doctors have told me and what I have read (in books & online). I fully understand and support the point about waiting till its the right time.

Each doctor is different, each pregnancy is different and its all a game of he said/she said.

OP, i would recommend talking to your doctor first. Iv heard of things that can naturally induce but they are not guaranteed and I would check first with what your doctor recommends. Best of luck!!!
  • I wonder of she just wants to be told to have more sex? That is the only 'fun' one I can think of.
    As for this post, if op and searched or lurked for a bit then she would have seen that this post would only cause trouble.
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited January 2016
    My baby was born at 37 weeks. He stopped breathing when he was born, O2 dropped to 50 and had a blood sugar of 14. He spent two days in the NICU and it was 8 hours before I could hold him. He couldn't regulate his body temperature and he was too weak to nurse/suck and had to be dropped fed. He was almost jaundiced to the point of needing rehospitalized after being there 4 days. I would have given anything to go to term and have him born issue free.
    Yes, you are incredibly selfish. 3 more weeks won't kill you.

* Oh, and he almost died when my water broke. It took 2 doses of epi and people rolling him around by pushing my belly before he had a heart rate again.
  • My baby was born at 37 weeks. He stopped breathing when he was born, O2 dropped to 50 and had a blood sugar of 14. He spent two days in the NICU and it was 8 hours before I could hold him. He couldn't regulate his body temperature and he was too weak to nurse/suck and had to be dropped fed. He was almost jaundiced to the point of needing rehospitalized after being there 4 days. I would have given anything to go to term and have him born issue free.
    Yes, you are incredibly selfish. 3 more weeks won't kill you.

* Oh, and he almost died when my water broke. It took 2 doses of epi and people rolling him around by pushing my belly before he had a heart rate again.

I'm so sorry you and your sweet baby had to go through this. Glad everything is okay now.

But see op, 3 weeks CAN make all the difference. Not to mention, your due date can be off by as much as two weeks. So for all you know, 3 weeks early could really be 5.
  • I am only sharing what some of my doctors have told me and what I have read (in books & online). I fully understand and support the point about waiting till its the right time. Each doctor is different, each pregnancy is different and its all a game of he said/she said. OP, i would recommend talking to your doctor first. Iv heard of things that can naturally induce but they are not guaranteed and I would check first with what your doctor recommends. Best of luck!!!
    How recently were you told this? With my son 6 years ago, some sources would still say 37 weeks was full term. But at that point most doctors and medical publications were starting to wise up and recognize at least 39 weeks. That's why I was a little concerned that a doctor now would tell you 37 weeks.

• edited January 2016
    I actually have another app on my phone that said I am classed as 'full term' today as I have reached my 37 week point.
  • kyraaD said:

I actually have another app on my phone that said I am classed as 'full term' today as I have reached my 37 week point.

so you're going to listen to a phone app over what doctors are telling people? 37 weeks is still early term. full term is 40 weeks.
    Do you just love to interfere? When did I say I was going to listen to anything??? I didn't!!!

I was just stating that for some people it can be confusing especially when there's apps out there that say 37 weeks is full term.

• I didn't start this post therefore it wasn't down to me to state that I wasn't going to try and induce labour :)
  • I didn't start this post therefore it wasn't down to me to state that I wasn't going to try and induce labour :)

i actually wasn't saying/thinking you were trying to induce labour. idk where you got that from.

• Please do not try castor oil, it is nasty stuff and can cause baby to pass meconium, which can be dangerous if baby aspirates it.

What about Castrol oil?
    Oh no she didn't! Lol

• I'm a little late to this conversation but can I just say there have been so many of these posts lately, this is just as bad as the "here is my ultrasound pic, guess the gender..." ugh!
    Agreed! So inappropriate for ladies who aren't even over-due to be trying to "coax" baby out early for their own comfort and convenience. Sigh. 
  • I actually know of someone who intentionally put herself in a situation where she needed to be induced at 36 weeks for the baby's safety because she was tired of being pregnant.  I'm not going to say how she did it, because that's a horrible, HORRIBLE thing to do.  But hey, it worked and she didn't have to be pregnant anymore!!  Of course, her baby ended up in the NICU.  Spoiler alert: no one actually ended up thinking the situation was fun.
  • Aquinna82 said:
    I actually know of someone who intentionally put herself in a situation where she needed to be induced at 36 weeks for the baby's safety because she was tired of being pregnant.  I'm not going to say how she did it, because that's a horrible, HORRIBLE thing to do.  But hey, it worked and she didn't have to be pregnant anymore!!  Of course, her baby ended up in the NICU.  Spoiler alert: no one actually ended up thinking the situation was fun.
    Wow, just wow!

• g8trkim said:
    Aquinna82 said:
    I actually know of someone who intentionally put herself in a situation where she needed to be induced at 36 weeks for the baby's safety because she was tired of being pregnant.  I'm not going to say how she did it, because that's a horrible, HORRIBLE thing to do.  But hey, it worked and she didn't have to be pregnant anymore!!  Of course, her baby ended up in the NICU.  Spoiler alert: no one actually ended up thinking the situation was fun.
    Wow, just wow!
    Yeah.  I was appalled.  I still am.  Her first baby was born at 32 weeks without her intervention and she had been talking about wanting this one to be early too from the beginning.