Trying to Get Pregnant

That DH tho...

Apologies if this sort of thread has already been posted in the recentish past - I tried searching but didn't really see anything.

After an HR lead workshop about mat. leave yesterday DH and I adjusted when we plan on starting TTC.  We were initially planning on July, but bumped it up to May.  DH's first response was "wow - that's coming up isn't it?".  It kind of made me laugh because it still feels like a long way off to me, but it did get me thinking.  I feel like  ladies do an awful lot in order to prepare for TTC - needed or not.  We obsess over our drinking and eating habits, worry about our sleep, weight, etc etc.  DH asked me what he should be doing to get prepared and it sort of occurred to me that we don't really think about that too much - or at least I hadn't.  I suggested that he make sure he exercises consistently throughout the week and to start taking a basic multivitamin.  He also told me the other day that he's going in for a promotion at work which I think was primarily motivated by our increasingly frequent conversations about baby costs.

Would love to hear if your DH/partner did anything to prepare as well. Maybe it's something physical, maybe it was to prepare financially or mentally.

Or maybe you have read something in an article that suggests men do something - let me know!

Re: That DH tho...

• I had read that men should lower their caffeine intake when TTC, so my husband stopped drinking soda. He used to drink Dr. Pepper constantly (like 5-10 cans per day) and I have been trying to get him to quit since we got married and he finally did :)
  • bcooke314 said:
    I had read that men should lower their caffeine intake when TTC, so my husband stopped drinking soda. He used to drink Dr. Pepper constantly (like 5-10 cans per day) and I have been trying to get him to quit since we got married and he finally did :)
    Haha I bet his teeth will thank him as well!  DH doesn't do soda but he definitely drinks coffee every day.  I wonder what the recommended daily intake for that is in regards to TTC for men...
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH has always taken a multivitamin, eats healthy, and excercises so I haven't asked for any changes. He isn't a coffee drinker but does drink a mix that had BCAAs and caffeine in it... I might ask him to start cutting back on that haha
  • antoto said:
    bcooke314 said:
    I had read that men should lower their caffeine intake when TTC, so my husband stopped drinking soda. He used to drink Dr. Pepper constantly (like 5-10 cans per day) and I have been trying to get him to quit since we got married and he finally did :)
    Haha I bet his teeth will thank him as well!  DH doesn't do soda but he definitely drinks coffee every day.  I wonder what the recommended daily intake for that is in regards to TTC for men...
    I haven't read much into it - just a few brief mentions in a few books - but they did say coffee isn't great either. If they need to have caffeine to be awake or whatever, tea is the best to drink.
  • NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited January 2016
    I'll admit I had an incredibly hard time getting my DH to do anything at all other than BDing more frequently during my FW. I mean every month that's somewhat of a struggle but not the epic battle some of the other things have been.

Finally, now that we're 13 months and 9 cycles into this whole TTC thing DH has started taking a multivitamin.

We're still arguing over his coffee drinking habits. Not to say I want him to give up coffee altogether, because that would be silly. I'd just like him to not drink approximately 5 (8oz) cups a day. 1 or 2 sure. But not 5. One month he told me he'd cut back on how much coffee he drinks. I couldn't have been much more thorough in my explanation that it isn't the coffee exactly, it's the caffeine that's the problem. So limiting coffee is just to limit caffeine. And yet DH ended up just substituting a couple of cups of coffee for things like red bull and soda. 
    http38mediatumblrcomtumblr_m6prz2s04m1r08c3oo1_500gif

ETA: @antoto It's been really hard for me to find any definitive numbers of daily caffeine intake for males but I did find this:
    Couples with male partners whose caffeine intake was in the study’s highest range (more than 265 milligrams a day- or about three  eight ounce cups of coffee) were only half as likely to have a clinical pregnancy as couples where the male consumed less than 88 mgs of caffeine a day.

Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I just got DH these on Amazon.  They claim to support reproductive health including Saw plametto aka "the prostate herb". It's probably like 99% BS but hey I'm a sucker for that shit.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007YCC7S?keywords=mens multivitamin&qid=1453310956&ref_=sr_1_1&s=hpc&sr=1-1
  • DH started taking a multivitamin when we first started ttc and just recently stopped drinking as much caffeine. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • I have been trying to be as prepared as I can be to TTC, and as such have read the books "Get Ready to Get Pregnant" and "What To Expect Before You're Expecting" with DH.

Most of the book is geared towards the woman but there were sections for the man in each book too. Honestly, a lot of it was common sense. Eat healthy, exercise, don't drink/smoke/do drugs.

The only things DH has done differently since reading the books have been cutting down on fatty foods, exercising, minimizing drinking/smoking weed. He has always taken vitamins with me and eaten relatively healthy.

• DH tells me if we are not pregnant after 3 months of trying then he will start looking at changing his habits! However, he ordered parenting books about parenting philosophies he was interested in like 6 months ago!? LOL!
    Me: 24 DH: 28
    Married: Feb. 2009
    TTC #1
  • The only thing we did was have DH stop one of his medications that can potentially be teratogenic. It's not used for anything of health importance (it's a prescription med to prevent baldness). He stopped taking it when we conceived #1 and even after she was born he stayed off a while and definitely noticed the effects! He's anxious to get me KU so he can take his pill again lol.
  • DH cut back on his coffee. I made sure he stayed away from hot tubs and that he wears boxers. He did take vitamins for me the first two times we tried, I am not going to push that this time. I had him decrease his caffeine a few months before we tried because it takes a few months for these measures to be effective.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DH refuses to take multivitamins "because he doesn't want to get sick to his stomach." :neutral: WHATEVZ. We both lead fairly healthy lifestyles, so he's not going to cut back on any caffeine or alcohol, because his intake is already pretty negligible.

I am a bit worried about this new position he's been learning at work. He's literally there for over twelve hours every day, and is SOOPER stressed out when he gets home. Luckily, my max fertility happened to be this past weekend, when he had Monday off for MLK day. I'm not sure whether sperm is affected by long-term or short-term stress, but hopefully the longer weekend helped.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • g8rmama_16g8rmama_16 member
    edited January 2016
    DH asked how he could help the process and I told him cutting caffeine might help. He drinks a lot of it, but doesn't really feel the effect of the caffeine. I got him some roasted dandelion root tea and he doesn't miss coffee at all! He loves it! It is a great replacement.
    ETA watch out for the kind with chickory root if you want to drink it yourself. It is not recommended for pregnancy because it causes uterine contractions.
  • edited January 2016
    hupp0013 said:
    DH cut back on his coffee. I made sure he stayed away from hot tubs and that he wears boxers. He did take vitamins for me the first two times we tried, I am not going to push that this time. I had him decrease his caffeine a few months before we tried because it takes a few months for these measures to be effective.
    This is actually an interesting point.  I think I read somewhere that it takes about a month for 100% of the sperm to be changed out so most changes can be made about a month in advance, but that might not be true for all things.

Edited to bold in point.
  • NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited January 2016
    antoto said:
    hupp0013 said:
    DH cut back on his coffee. I made sure he stayed away from hot tubs and that he wears boxers. He did take vitamins for me the first two times we tried, I am not going to push that this time. I had him decrease his caffeine a few months before we tried because it takes a few months for these measures to be effective.
    This is actually an interesting point.  I think I read somewhere that it takes about a month for 100% of the sperm to be changed out so most changes can be made about a month in advance, but that might not be true for all things.

Edited to bold in point.
    httpimgpandawhalecom82941-Darth-Vader-NOOOO-gif-4TB2gif
    If that's true then DH would actually have to cut back how much caffeine he consumes all the time and not just during the FW (which is already basically never going to happen). The last month or so when I see him making a fresh pot of coffee at 10pm so he can stay up and watch TV longer I've been teasing him about how we'll never have children. Haha super funny joke I know. :( I guess it's my passive-aggressive way of letting him know it bothers me and raises concerns about the whole TTC process without feeling quite so naggy.

ETA: Wikipedia says spermatogensis in humans takes ~74 days.

@HeyBooHey I switched off coffee to an herbal coffee that sounds a lot like what you're describing. Teeccino. It's delicious. DH will drink it with me sometimes but generally he's all like "I don't want your fake coffee! I want real coffee with real caffeine!"

BabyFruit Ticker

• edited January 2016

httpimgpandawhalecom82941-Darth-Vader-NOOOO-gif-4TB2gif
    If that's true then DH would actually have to cut back how much caffeine he consumes all the time and not just during the FW (which is already basically never going to happen). The last month or so when I see him making a fresh pot of coffee at 10pm so he can stay up and watch TV longer I've been teasing him about how we'll never have children. Haha super funny joke I know. :( I guess it's my passive-aggressive way of letting him know it bothers me and raises concerns about the whole TTC process without feeling quite so naggy.

ETA: Wikipedia says spermatogensis in humans takes ~74 days.

@HeyBooHey I switched off coffee to an herbal coffee that sounds a lot like what you're describing. Teeccino. It's delicious. DH will drink it with me sometimes but generally he's all like "I don't want your fake coffee! I want real coffee with real caffeine!"
    1) lol that gif.  Love.

2)  Holy shit 74 days?????  I'm so damn glad I made this thread.  MFing knowledge being dropped right now.  Texted DH immediately when I read that.

Edit:  Just read Wiki for that and noticed it could be even longer - closer to a full 3 months.  HAH.  I know for women it's 3 months for eggs to mature and whatnot so I have a small amount of satisfaction knowing DH is in the same boat.  muahaha
  • @NamelessAria that is the kind he drinks! I would research chicory root, though. That brand is made with it and it has side effects for early pregnancy.
  • @HeyBooHey That's definitely good to know. I just assumed Teeccino was safe to drink while pregnant. I guess if I ever manage to get pregnant I'll just be living off water and Gatorade.  :o

BabyFruit Ticker

• @HeyBooHey That's definitely good to know. I just assumed Teeccino was safe to drink while pregnant. I guess if I ever manage to get pregnant I'll just be living off water and Gatorade.  :o

There may be versions of Teeccino without the chickory, I'm not sure. And I know there are other brands of dandelion root tea that don't have it.
  • I'm the one who has had to switch to half caf (you can pry my coffee from my cold dead hands), DH rarely drinks caffeine, but he has cut down on alcohol and started taking extra folate and zinc at my request.  He's also agreed to get a semen analysis if we're not pregnant in the next couple of months, just to ease both of our minds.

I have read something about how consuming caffeine a few hours before sex can make sperm peppier, but I didn't read too much into the study to see how accurate it is.  
  • @housewifehobbyist Dude. Interesting about the caffeine/sperm link. Here's a summary of a study I found if anyone else is interested.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I'm the one who has had to switch to half caf (you can pry my coffee from my cold dead hands), DH rarely drinks caffeine, but he has cut down on alcohol and started taking extra folate and zinc at my request.  He's also agreed to get a semen analysis if we're not pregnant in the next couple of months, just to ease both of our minds.

I have read something about how consuming caffeine a few hours before sex can make sperm peppier, but I didn't read too much into the study to see how accurate it is.  

I heard this too. One time - way back when I had my husband chugging a red Bull before sex. He thought it was a weird new fetish at first.
  • emilyIRL said:
    @housewifehobbyist Dude. Interesting about the caffeine/sperm link. Here's a summary of a study I found if anyone else is interested.
    So interesting!  I wonder how long the effects lasted?  And wouldn't you only want this to happen closer to ovulation?  Say you're 5 days before ovulation you don't exactly want the little guys rushing around exhausting themselves, right?
  • I cut caffeine completely out a month or two before TTC just because I wanted to prove to myself that I could.  I let myself have a little from time to time now, but not a lot.  After I quit though, DH quit, so at least he's got that going for him.  He too used to drink TONS of soda... he still does, it's just caffeine free (and diet).  I've tried to get him to stop, but he won't.

I've also been trying to get him to take a multivitamin, but he fights it.  He took one once on an empty stomach and got sick, and now he's like, "they always make me sick!"  Right 1 time he gets sick, and like 20 times he hasn't.  Uggghhhh, just take your vitamins, DH!
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• MrsDho11 said:
    I cut caffeine completely out a month or two before TTC just because I wanted to prove to myself that I could.  I let myself have a little from time to time now, but not a lot.  After I quit though, DH quit, so at least he's got that going for him.  He too used to drink TONS of soda... he still does, it's just caffeine free (and diet).  I've tried to get him to stop, but he won't.

I've also been trying to get him to take a multivitamin, but he fights it.  He took one once on an empty stomach and got sick, and now he's like, "they always make me sick!"  Right 1 time he gets sick, and like 20 times he hasn't.  Uggghhhh, just take your vitamins, DH!
    Lol they can be such damn babies sometimes.  Like compared to everything we physically go through they can't handle a damn multivitamin?  Cracks me up.  Eat a damn cracker with it!
  • DH lives a pretty healthy lifestyle so he didn't have too many changes to make.
    He started taking a multivitamin this month along with coq10 and fish oil. I also have him taking horny goat weed. I have to comend him for actually taking something called horny goat weed!! Surprisingly he's noticed a huge difference...this may be TMI but he is definitely more in the mood and says he has stronger orgasms. He's not complaining!
    Me: 29 years old, DH: 31 years old
    TTC #1 since July 2015
    SA Feb 2016 & May 2016: Excellent count and motility, 3% morphology
    Surgery Dec 2016: submucosal fibroid removed
    Awaiting RE appointment

• @Antoto , @iceandsnowflakes29 I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already but I did read a couple of the studies that talked about caffeine making sperm peppier. The downside was that the effect was short lived and after the "burst of speed," so to speak, the sperm started moving slower than they would have without the caffeine. Apparently, the amount of increase in time and speed compared to the amount of decrease in time and speed still netted a loss in speed. So basically, it's like the sperm version of the tortoise and the hare.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @NamelessAria we only did the red Bull thing one time for the sake of willing to try anything. However, that is interesting!
  • Oh, I also have read that sunlight exposure is good for men's fertility. I don't know how scientific it is but what I read had said about 30 minutes of sunlight a day is recommended. I would assume it is for the vitamin D, so I would think a supplement would also work.  I use this to get my husband to actually go outside, though, because he would be perfectly happy never setting foot outside again (which I get right now because it is 0 degrees outside, but I don't get it in the summer).
  • DH started exercising regularly, cut down dairy and fast food, and is generally eating healthier. Part of it was wanting to be healthier, part of it was TTC. I can't believe it takes over a month to replace sperm! That's crazy!
  • *Face Palm*
    We have been TTCing for 9 months and I never even thought about DH's habits. He drinks a lot of coffee and is currently talking about buying an espresso machine.
    Well, time to shoot that down.
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • This kind of freaks me out, because there is no way DH will cut down on coffee. He
    drinks a ridiculous amount of coffee and is really attached to it. This is him at 11 pm on any given night, seriously, except he's not a ginger.

He has taken a multivitamin for years and this weekend went to a bunch of stores searching for a mail fertility - boosting vitamin. Hopefully that will make up for the caffeine. Maybe?

I might switch his coffee beans with decaf beans. Would that make me crazy?

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• cjt121413 said:
    This kind of freaks me out, because there is no way DH will cut down on coffee. He drinks a ridiculous amount of coffee and is really attached to it. This is him at 11 pm on any given night, seriously, except he's not a ginger. He has taken a multivitamin for years and this weekend went to a bunch of stores searching for a mail fertility - boosting vitamin. Hopefully that will make up for the caffeine. Maybe? I might switch his coffee beans with decaf beans. Would that make me crazy?
    Maybe just show him some of the studies about high caffeine intake and fertility and see what he says?  He could maybe cut down a bit.  It says in most of the studies that even a moderate drinker doesn't have their sperm affected - it's only people who drink pretty extreme amounts so he doesn't need to give it up completely.