April 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Laws

2»

Re: Breastfeeding Laws

• Options
    Cat&Baby said:

Burn me if you will.
    I have never breast fed (FTM). And I live in a very judgy, uptight state. And I can't wait for someone to say something to me about my side boob when breastfeeding.

The only thing that could make me even consider a cover is if DH is uncomfortable with my breast out

DH was super awkward about it at first and gradually realized how not a big deal it was. I also made it VERY clear to him that this is what was normal. I was very surprised when a large number of my friends didn't use covers either, and I would always point out after "did you even notice so and so was nursing".
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    * Bump *
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like I would be too shy to breastfeed in public. Good to know I am exempt from jury duty though!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My DGAF factor was pretty high when the alternative was letting my kid starve & scream. That said, nursing in public was never really discreet for me because I have giant boobs and LO was constantly getting distracted and popping off and looking around and flailing. Only when I started using the Ergo to nurse in did I not feel like it was very obvious what I was doing. Somewhere I have a picture where we are Ergo-nursing in The Alamo, which I am unnecessarily proud of, I will see if I can dig it up.

ETA:
    Nothing to see here folks. photo 20130520_124233_zpszdmev78p.jpg
    kids with flags
  • Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited January 2016

I feel like I would be too shy to breastfeed in public. Good to know I am exempt from jury duty though!

The great thing is, that's totally okay. You can be a great breastfeeding momma and/or advocate without feeding publicly or only using a cover. The internet tends to let people go to extremes and make it feel like if you're covered or do go somewhere private you're doing a disservice to moms who don't by not "normalizing" it, but I don't think anyone would actually say or believe that IRL. If you feed your baby in a way that makes both of you comfortable, you're doing it right; bottle, bare breast or covered.

ETA: I don't mean anyone here specifically, I'm actually thinking of a couple people in our local BF and LLL groups.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    mrstrax said:

The great thing is, that's totally okay. You can be a great breastfeeding momma and/or advocate without feeding publicly or only using a cover. The internet tends to let people go to extremes and make it feel like if you're covered or do go somewhere private you're doing a disservice to moms who don't by not "normalizing" it, but I don't think anyone would actually say or believe that IRL. If you feed your baby in a way that makes both of you comfortable, you're doing it right; bottle, bare breast or covered.

ETA: I don't mean anyone here specifically, I'm actually thinking of a couple people in our local BF and LLL groups.
    I totally get that vibe too. I don't see it being as big of an issue as media makes it out to be (at least I really hope it isn't)
  • Options
    To continue off from that though from @mrstrax--it's totally ok if you can't breastfeed and decide to exclusively pump instead. Do what is best for your comfort level, what works for your baby, and what works for YOU. Do not kill yourself over breastfeeding. Remember, your child needs you happy and healthy. If breastfeeding is hurting you happiness and health, reevaluate things. If you need to stop breastfeeding because you have your own medical things to take care of, it's ok to let go. If you hate breastfeeding but are totally ok with pumping, that's ok. If you just don't want to breastfeed, that's ok. Everyone harps "breast is best," but I feel like that should come second to "just make sure your child is fed." I'm all for the benefits of breastfeeding, but it's just not for everyone.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited January 2016
    @fbanke42 totally! DD had 4 months of really pretty horrible, stressful EBF, then a month of combination and 7 months of formula (plus purées/solids). The formula months were when I actually really enjoyed my baby - our BF relationship was so tough I actually resented her for being hungry (which is ridiculous) but I was so stuck on the thought that I was supposed to be able to loooove nursing that I ended up not enjoying my child. Breast milk is great and I'll definitely be trying again, but a healthy and happy Momma is just as important if not more so!
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    mrstrax said:

I agree with this completely. Actually, using private spaces when available provably helps normalize BF as well because it shows that those spaces have a purpose and encourages more of them to exist. With my DD, for months/years she was SUPER distracted when NIP if she had any kind of stimulation, so I always sought out nursing rooms and semiprivate spaces when available. It was awesome when we were in Japan last summer because the combination of their society being super modest and pro-breastfeeding meant that there were nursing rooms virtually everywhere we went (and my using them with my 2.5yo was a complete nonissue). I'm definitely going to miss that when this LO is an outside baby.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    I think bottom line is every woman has the right to nurse when and where she feels comfortable - weather that be in public without a cover or preferring the privacy of her own home. While we may not live in the most progressive country in terms of our views of public breast feeding we are lucky to live in a place where this discussion can at least happen and steps are being taken to move into a more positive view of the general public perception of breastfeeding. Im going to be honest, as a younger woman who had never had a child, I was not the most open to public breastfeeding, especially without the use of a cover - I had not been exposed to it much and it made me uncomfortable. It took me having a child and understanding all the ins and outs of breastfeeding that really opened my eyes to it and how important and necessary a need for change in public views of breastfeeding in our society are. And even still, I prefer the use of a cover even though I give all woman who don't use one a ton of respect. And this is coming from a well educated, fairly liberal woman. I think as a breastfeeding mother, it's important to remember there is still a general lack of understanding among the general population that has not been through this and it's important to help educate weather than to give a "screw you" response to anyone who looks at you the wrong way. there are also cultural and religious views that exist within our country that view the coverage of a woman's body as a sign of respect. While their views should not take away or impede upon a woman's right to breastfeed I do think it's important to be aware and respectful of how others lead their lives and to accept not everyone is going to be comfortable with it, and that's okay.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Glad this was posted. I'm anticipating problems with my employer letting my pump at work.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/sOEHRsRIodI

Saw this video on Facebook yesterday.

• Options
    I preferred a cover but didn't always have mine. It was more for my comfort and not those around me.