Breastfeeding

Can't get pump prescription until after birth?

So the receptionist at my OB's office told me that they won't write a prescription for a breast pump until after the baby is born. Is this normal? I mean I get that you don't need a pump until the baby is here, but it seems like a hectic time to deal with ordering, picking up, and waiting for a pump. My insurance didn't say anything about not paying for it until after the baby is born. I'm wondering if I should call back or talk to an actual nurse there or maybe try my family physician.

Re: Can't get pump prescription until after birth?

• Try to talk to someone in labor and delivery at your hospital...mine ordered a pump for me right after I had my son and it was delivered to my hospital room a day later
  • Good idea, thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB ordered mine when I was within 6 weeks of my due date. The insurance didn't give me any problems either. Good luck!
  • I couldn't get mine until he was born. But all you do is take it to a pharmacy that takes your insurance and they'll give you one while you're there.
  • It would depend on your insurance when they allow you to get the actual pump, but I don't see why a doctor wouldn't write you a prescription before you give birth. Definitely talk to you OB, they'll probably hand you one to walk out with. Once you have the prescription, Target has a breast pump program that is really easy if they take your insurance.
  • My insurance (Kaiser) wouldn't let me get mine until after I'd had the baby. I thought it would be a major inconvenience but I didn't start pumping for a few weeks anyway. Ask again, but if you can't get it until after, maybe just assign a friend or family member to be in charge of picking it up for you so you don't have to worry about it.
  • I was able to get mine 2 months or so before my due date. That is really inconvenient if you can't get it before you give birth. Sometimes babies have latch problems or tongue ties (mine did) so it is absolutely important to have it prior to baby's arrival, unless you can easily get one from the hospital after you deliver. 
  • My insurance (Kaiser) wouldn't let me get mine until after I'd had the baby. I thought it would be a major inconvenience but I didn't start pumping for a few weeks anyway. Ask again, but if you can't get it until after, maybe just assign a friend or family member to be in charge of picking it up for you so you don't have to worry about it.

This. If you end up needing one right away the hospital will have one available anyways. Usually you can rent one from there too if needed. My insurance wouldn't allow me to order until after DD was born and it honestly wasn't that big of a deal. I ordered online when she was about a week old and it was delivered to my house within 5 days. And I didn't even touch it for another 2-3 weeks.
  • Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm going to ask my OB at my next appointment in a few weeks. I didn't really understand the receptionist lady. She said "we can't write you a prescription until after the birth because there's no bill code for it." I don't even know what that means. They're not giving me the pump, just the prescription. My insurance didn't seem to have a problem with paying for it before the birth, but I didn't specifically ask that question, so I'll probably double-check with them before I get it, if I can get a prescription before birth. Oh well, if my OB gives me problems about it I'm sure it won't be the end of the world the get it after the born. :)