April 2016 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes Support

Hello!
I know we have a section talking about the test, but what about those of us who did not do so well on the test? I think it would be awesome to hear from some other mom's about how you feel about it all, worries, encouragement, great snacks you've found... etc...

For me, pre-pregnancy, I was an extremely healthy runner, biker, and worked 40 hours a week on my feet. I had an excellent BMI and was well within my weight. Absolutely no history of Diabetes 2 in family except in a few who got it after age 80 and no gestational diabetes in family or big babies. I eat pretty well for most Americans, but I do have a BAD chocolate addiction. Log in my fitness pal regularly and use my Fitbit religiously since 2012.
So... when I got the results, I felt angry, cheated, and embarrassed. Not only that, I felt like I had somehow failed my little baby even before he was born. "WHY ME!?!" was my thought.
I got my meter the same day I found out and started taking my blood glucose levels as instructed. It honestly hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I'm no longer mad at myself and am just trying to figure out how to manage things so I'm getting enough calories, but not too many carbs... and staying full!!

My current favorite snacks are: Veggie straws/laughing cow light cheese wedges; mixed nuts (kirkland trail mix with the m&m's taken out... hubby likes that part); half cup of fat free fage greek yogurt with a half cup of frozen berries (no sugar or syrup added). 

Things I'm working on: Finding meals that balance good carbs and protein and fat! I feel like I'm on a pendulum here! Eggs, veggies and whole wheat toast or a protein shake and an apple, usually work for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are often a gamble...

Things I don't understand: Why is my fasting glucose level ALWAYS so low! It's usually in the 60s which from all my research is what someone already with type 2 diabetes shoot for while pregnant... Does that mean I had type 2 even before being pregnant? I get blood work every year and no one ever said anything... Now I'm worried I'll have to stick myself 7 times a day and meticulously control my eating every day for the rest of my life! YIKES! I know you ladies who have diabetes before pregnancy do it. I don't know how! You have a whole lot more self-control, will power, and courage than I'll ever have!

Additional research I've done: Stress can have a HUGE effect on glucose levels... Even in someone without diabetes. I had a very emotionally, mentally, and physically stressful job that I think sent me in a constant state of fight-or-flight. My husband and my relationship was rocky in one very emotional area where I felt like I could never fully trust him at his word. We had an old cat that was on the brink of death (RIP Cookie 02/00-1/12/16). My husband got a new job in a different state... new insurance... new OBGYN... new apartment... etc... All that has settled down as of this week. Anyway, stress can cause your blood glucose to skyrocket  and if it is constant, stay high. I think once becoming prego, my body said, "enough is enough" and stopped processing sugar correctly. These last couple days I feel my glucose level has been much easier to manage now that my life has calmed down. 

Ok, sorry for the long intro to this topic. Feel free to follow the same format and/or add your own things!

Re: Gestational Diabetes Support

• Options
    Welcome to the unfortunate club. This is my second pregnancy and second time with GD. I'm very active, a healthy weight, and eat healthy as well. My grandpa has type 2 but wasn't diagnosed until 80 and my dad is prediabetic. It definitely feels like a rip off considering I don't have most risk factors and am healthy. This time I was diagnosed at 8 weeks due to my history. Last time I was diet/exercise controlled, but this pregnancy I have to take insulin for my fasting numbers which can't be easily influenced by diet/exercise. My insulin resistance is much higher with this pregnancy and I am having to walk quickly on the treadmill at the highest incline after meals to avoid meal time insulin even when following the GD diet. It definitely stinks to be restricted with carbs. It is feeling like a really long pregnancy since I've been checking sugars/restricting diet/insulin since 8 weeks. My favorite food I discovered this time is the edamame noodles at Costco. One serving has 21g of carbs and 24g of protein! I can have as much as I want and my number is always great after with no exercise! They taste good too with a good sauce or cheese :) I was thankful post pregnancy when I hadnt gained too much weight last time due to a GD diet and the weight came off quickly. Know that you aren't alone! Let me know if you have other questions!
  • Options

Hello!  If interest is high enough, I think it would be great to have some sort of weekly GD/Diabetes check in post.  When I had GD with my first pregnancy the high risk board was very active and there was a weekly check in which I found helpful.  This time, not so much.  I would be willing to run it, if asked, or just participate :)

My situation is a little different.  I had GD with my first pregnancy, and was able to control it with diet, exercise, and a lot of work and research :)  I had a healthy 7.13lb baby at 40 weeks.

Pregnancy #2 I passed two GD 1 hr tests, and was never diagnosed.  However, I suspect my insulin resistance increased late in pregnancy undiagnosed, as baby grew very quickly at the end and I ended up having a 9.03lb baby at 37 weeks

This time around I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when we were TTC.  I worked very hard for about 5 months to get it under control so that it would be safe/wise to conceive.  I consulted with my endo, OB, and a MFM prior to becoming pregnant so I would know what to expect in terms of treatment and risks.  So far my disease has been well managed through insulin and frequent dr visits in this pregnancy.  The bummer is that I haven't found much in the way of information or support for pregnant moms with T2 diabetes, outside of the info provided by my doctor and the ADA site.

@korpatch -I'm not sure what your concerns are with a low end fasting blood sugar?  Typically people with undiagnosed diabetes would be running a high FBS (greater than 120's or so).  Can you explain more?

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hypoglycemia can have very low fasting blood sugar levels. So so I've read? It's just not "normal" lol... I'm not too worried though!

I like the idea of a weekly check in. It doesn't look like there are that many of us though.
  • Options

@korpatch   Do you have any idea what a "normal" fasting blood sugar was for you, pre-pregnancy?  It's possible that you just have a low end of normal FBS.  How do you feel in the mornings?  Normal or shaky/nauseous/dizzy, etc? Hypoglycemia related to diabetes is usually a result of some issue with your diabetes treatment (i.e. too much insulin or activity, not eating enough etc).  I would ask your doctor about it, but it's probably not something you need to be too concerned about right now.  After pregnancy you will probably have to repeat another glucose tolerance test, so you'll get answers then as well.

Do you eat an evening snack?  Maybe try playing around with that (more carbs, less carbs, different combos of carb/fat/protein) and see if that has any impact.

I'm guessing that there will be more people falling into this category, since most of the early April due date have just gotten to the 28 week mark for the standard GD testing.  There have been a few questions on this board about GD already too, that I've seen.

#3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    Never dizzy... Sometimes irritable, and I know that is usually what causes hypoglycemia. I always have an evening snack three meals and three ( sometimes four) snacks. My doctor just changed me to only checking my blood sugar at fasting and then two hours after meals.... Not snacks at all. Despite my carb intake, my blood sugar is always really low... Almost comically at this points. I'm wondering if I had a combo of chronic stress and insulin resistance... And now that the chronic stress is gone, my body is trying to correct itself. That would make the most sense. I've done a tone of research and reading many scholarly papers on the subject. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much research on pregnancy and chronic stress.
  • Options
    Hi ladies, I haven't been diagnosed with GD, but I failed the 1 hour glucose test. My result was 141 and the nurse said the limit for passing is 140. They want me to take the 3 hr test now and tell me I will have to have a morning appt, but I work night shift and they said I have to fast for 12 hours, which includes no water at all. That plus 3-4 hours at the appt and I'm looking at 16 hours with no food or water. This is making me lean towards declining the test. There is no way I can get through a shift at work with no food or even water to drink. And 16 hours is a long time to go without food and water. My question is what were the results of your 1 hr test? Are normal passing numbers a lot lower than 140?

I don't get many days off at work and I ddon't want to use one of my paid days off for this test (I imagine being able to sleep at night while fasting would be a lot easier to do). I really don't much about GD either.
  • Options
    From all I've read, they recomend the 3 hour test even if you're above 130 and have a history of diabetes in the family.... Or at least they should... Supposedly...
    I would see if you could get the test scheduled to a day you didn't have to work all night. I forget my failure 1 hour numbers... They were higher than that.
    But it is your call. Just make sure you research the side effects of GD... Cause there are some really bad ones!
  • Options
    loveymay said:

Hi ladies, I haven't been diagnosed with GD, but I failed the 1 hour glucose test. My result was 141 and the nurse said the limit for passing is 140. They want me to take the 3 hr test now and tell me I will have to have a morning appt, but I work night shift and they said I have to fast for 12 hours, which includes no water at all. That plus 3-4 hours at the appt and I'm looking at 16 hours with no food or water. This is making me lean towards declining the test. There is no way I can get through a shift at work with no food or even water to drink. And 16 hours is a long time to go without food and water. My question is what were the results of your 1 hr test? Are normal passing numbers a lot lower than 140?

I don't get many days off at work and I ddon't want to use one of my paid days off for this test (I imagine being able to sleep at night while fasting would be a lot easier to do). I really don't much about GD either.

I have no idea why they told you no water at all. That doesn't make any sense. If you look up the guidelines for the test it says fast between 8-10 hours beforehand, and don't drink anything during the test.

I'm not sure what your work schedule looks like laid out throughout the week, but I think your best bet is to schedule it early in the morning, on a day after you didn't have work the night before. Or you could call and ask if you could do one in the evening since you do work overnights.
  • Options
    I actually thought they changed the one hour max to under 130, not 140 for everyone, but maybe not.

When I had GD with #1 6 years ago the limit was 140. I failed with a 141 also. I very clearly and significantly failed the three hour test and was diagnosed with GD. I passed two 1 Hour tests (first and third tri) in my second pregnancy with results under 114, but still had a 9lb baby at 37 weeks and probably had some late onset insulin resistance or GD. She was in average size percentiles at 20 and 28 weeks but grew rapidly between 30-36 weeks.

I guess my point is, based on my experience, that GD is tricky, and as pp stated, there are some considerable risks to not treating it. I would suggest you to try to make it work and have the three hour test. Did you explain your non-traditional schedule? Why can't you take the test after your normal sleep/fasting time?

I suppose the safe alternative might be to decline the test, but talk to your dr about proceeding assuming you do have it. That would mean beginning to test blood sugars and change your diet to a diabetic diet. I'm not sure if your insurance would cover your testing supplies or other necessary items without a definitive diagnosis though.
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    I really don't want to decline, because I know I would be constantly worried about it. I work 5 days a week, 8 hour shifts 11p-7a. They want me to have the test done at the off site lab they use, not at the OB office. I thought I could at least ask the lab if an early afternoon appt is possible, because otherwise I'd have to use one of my PTO days or either suffer through 16 hours of no food/water. I don't know though, I would probably still drink some water, there's just no way I can go that long with nothing to drink. This is so frustrating!
  • Options
    I don't know how relevant this is if you already have diabetes, but I thought this article about potatoes and gestational diabetes was interesting:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-35261184

I have my glucose test this week :neutral: 
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My level after the 1hr was 198. They decided to skip the three hour test and go straight to a diagnosis of GD. I meet with an endocrinologist on Wednesday this week to go over a "game plan" and my OB had a glucose monitor sent to me by a company called Fifty50. I've been monitoring my levels when I wake up and 2hrs after each meal. I don't know if that's what my endo will ultimately recommend or not, the internet is filled with varied answers, I was just trying to get a jump start on setting a routine for myself.

I really feel disappointed with having GD but I feel like I just have to pull up my big girl, stretchy, britches and do what I have to do for my son. I'm worried about temptations from time to time but I just keep telling myself, in the end it will be worth it and I have less than three months to work through this. I know that I can do it. I don't want to be on insulin so if I can control my levels through my diet, it would seem silly not to give it my all and try.

I have found a TON of recipes on Pinterest but I'll be happy to get a suggested meal plan from the doctor just so I don't feel like I'm guessing at everything.

I would love to do a "check-in" with everyone and I'm always up for new meal ideas.

Wishing you all the best :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Beautiful Daughter 11/08/2002
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
    Rainbow Sugar Baby due 04/22/2016, C Section Scheduled for 04/08/2016
  • Options
    I do my three hour test on Friday, but I'm relatively sure I'm not going to pass it. A lot of people who don't eat carbs and sugars often don't pass the test. (Basically I eat a paleo diet for diabetics anyway, and I know my body doesn't process carbs so I haven't eaten them except maybe once or twice a day in moderation for the past two weeks.) I'm down for a weekly check in and a recipe exchange after I get those results back.
  • Options

My level after the 1hr was 198. They decided to skip the three hour test and go straight to a diagnosis of GD. I meet with an endocrinologist on Wednesday this week to go over a "game plan" and my OB had a glucose monitor sent to me by a company called Fifty50. I've been monitoring my levels when I wake up and 2hrs after each meal. I don't know if that's what my endo will ultimately recommend or not, the internet is filled with varied answers, I was just trying to get a jump start on setting a routine for myself.

I really feel disappointed with having GD but I feel like I just have to pull up my big girl, stretchy, britches and do what I have to do for my son. I'm worried about temptations from time to time but I just keep telling myself, in the end it will be worth it and I have less than three months to work through this. I know that I can do it. I don't want to be on insulin so if I can control my levels through my diet, it would seem silly not to give it my all and try.

I have found a TON of recipes on Pinterest but I'll be happy to get a suggested meal plan from the doctor just so I don't feel like I'm guessing at everything.

I would love to do a "check-in" with everyone and I'm always up for new meal ideas.

Wishing you all the best :-)

This is completely how I felt! Got started early too and had to rely mostly on the Internet. Thankfully it has gotten soooo much easier after two weeks and I'm finally getting to see and nurse and educator for it on Thursday. I had to switch OBs a day after finding out about my GD because we moved across country. It's been a whirl wind... And all I can really think about is chocolate cake... Lol... But anything for this little guy is worth it! And what's another 12 weeks after all? I had nausea for that long... This can't be that bad!
  • Options
    After a week of trying to manage this on my own and monitoring my levels at fasting (wake up) and two hours after the start of each meal, I met with the endocrinologist today. During the day, I've done pretty good. My levels have been 110-125, doctor says that's great. My problem is my fasting level at wake up is above 90. So, doctor says I have no choice but to go on insulin. 25 units at bedtime. I really am bummed and was hoping I could manage this without medication. The doctor reassured me that Levemir insulin is FDA approved and safe for the baby. He said what's more dangerous is high glucose levels. The insulin does not cross the placenta. The sugar levels definitely do. He didn't give me a meal plan but did tell me that three meals per day cannot exceed 60 carbs, and three snacks per day cannot exceed 15 carbs. I think that's all manageable. Another thing he tried to prepare me for was that as the baby grows, so does the insulin resistance. He told me to be prepared that controlling my levels during the day with diet only may not be realistic for the remaining months but we should at least try, and I agree.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • Options

@live4something

I'm glad you are feeling better after meeting with your endo.  I'm sorry that you're bummed about needing insulin, but you are doing the best thing for your baby :)  I've been on Levemir pretty much since the start of my pregnancy (pre-ex type 2 diabetes).  I met with a high risk doctor prior to conceiving, and she also told me that insulin is hands down the preferred diabetes medication during pregnancy, so I switched to that early on, and later added Novolog for meal time support.

I found that for awhile the bedtime dose of Levemir, which is a slow acting insulin/long lasting insulin, also helped with my daytime meal numbers, so that might delay your need for additional meds for awhile.  Also, when I had GD with pregnancy #1 I found that a little bit of activity after meals really helped with my numbers.  So if you can get a 10-15 minute walk, etc, after each meal that may help as well.  Good luck!

#3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @Monicagail1 Thank you so much for your reply! Great information. Really appreciate you sharing! Can you tell me where you typically give yourself injections? The dr suggested my stomach as long as I can pinch fat/skin, then my arms.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • Options
    @Knottie9983816 what were your 1 hr results? I know that we eat similar diets and I'm worried what it will do to my test results. My midwife said it might mess up my results as well.
  • Options

@Knottie9983816 what were your 1 hr results? I know that we eat similar diets and I'm worried what it will do to my test results. My midwife said it might mess up my results as well.

Not sure how to read that exactly? And at least your midwife acknowledged it could happen. My Dr acted like I was lying about it >.<

• Options

Not sure how to read that exactly? And at least your midwife acknowledged it could happen. My Dr acted like I was lying about it >.<

Basically your blood sugar after the hour was 152 and the cutoff is 135. I certain this is how mine is going to turn out as well. I reaaallly don't want to have to do the 3 hour because my body is used to 0 sugar.
  • Options

Basically your blood sugar after the hour was 152 and the cutoff is 135. I certain this is how mine is going to turn out as well. I reaaallly don't want to have to do the 3 hour because my body is used to 0 sugar.
    Well guess what I'm doing tomorrow! Not gonna lie though, I'm totally having cake afterwards.
  • Options
    Another shocked test failure here - I rang in at 166 which is definitely high :( I have to do the three hour sometime next week and I am not looking forward to it. And like many others on this post, I've been eating really well AND I've only gained ten pounds at 28 weeks! I am very annoyed at my body.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @live4something

I usually give my shots in the belly, at about the same level of my belly button but off to the side. I favor the right side because it's easier being right handed, but I do switch sometimes to give it a break. I do 4 shots a day now, so it's getting a bit sore, lol.

Did your doc show you how to administer the shots? Mine brought me in to show me how, before they called in the rx.
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    Going in for my three hour test now :'( I hate needles so much!
  • Options
    ivyvines6ivyvines6 member
    edited January 2016
    Now I'm just like:
  • Options
    Omg I CAN NOT get my effing gif to load!!!
  • Options
    Failed my one hour, went for my three hour this morning. I freaking threw up half an hour after drinking that stupid glucose drink so now I have to try again next Friday morning aided by zofran. Something tells me I'm not going to pass :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Halfway done now.
  • Options
    What? Needles are fun! Just kidding. Good luck Knottie! :smiley: 
  • Options
    @Monicagail1 No. They did not show me just verbally explained it. I am starting my first injection tonight. I figured I will watch a few Youtube videos and teach myself plus the pens come with step by step instructions. Wish me luck :-) I'm pretty nervous.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • Options
    @live4something I was pretty nervous the first time too. I stood there with the needle poised for a few minutes, frozen, before I worked up the courage to stick myself, lol. Try to avoid areas obviously near a vein, and count to 5-6 before you withdraw the needle to make sure all the meds get in. I also find it helpful to pinch a bit of skin up to have a nice firm spot to insert the needle. Good luck!
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    Also-I've taken the liberty of beginning a weekly GD/Diabetes check in post.  Check it out, and hope to see some folks participating!
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options

What? Needles are fun! Just kidding. Good luck Knottie! :smiley: 

Girl not when you have a phobia! But anyway, I'm definitely going to bruise tomorrow >.<

• Options
    Omg i'm totally heartbroken.  Just got a call from my doc saying i failed the 1hour test.  I'm very healthy - I eat well, exercise all the time, have no family history of diabetes, and have none of the other risk factors.  The worst part?  I've been sick as a dog all week and i KNOW i should have postponed the test because I've read that being sick can impact the results (e.g. your organs are already struggling to try and get you healthy again + there's a pretty good chance you're dehydrated).  But I dragged myself in there just to get it over with, and now the results come back high. Not to mention, they tell you not to worry about fasting so without even thinking about it I had breakfast (peanut butter on toast + a banana) less than half an hour before the test... that can't possibly have helped either.

I'm totally crushed that I have to go for the next round of testing.  I was super nauseous drinking the first drink and have no idea how i'm going to handle consuming even more glucose!
  • Options
    Whomp whomp... I failed my 1 hr as expected. I've been on a very restrictive diet for my thyroid and HG which is probably why I failed. I knew I was going to fail, but I didn't think I'd fail so miserably. I was 196 at the 1 hr mark. Yikes. Hopefully I can convince them to let me monitor my blood sugar without the 3 hr test.
  • Options
    laurcorbs said:
    Omg i'm totally heartbroken.  Just got a call from my doc saying i failed the 1hour test.  I'm very healthy - I eat well, exercise all the time, have no family history of diabetes, and have none of the other risk factors.  The worst part?  I've been sick as a dog all week and i KNOW i should have postponed the test because I've read that being sick can impact the results (e.g. your organs are already struggling to try and get you healthy again + there's a pretty good chance you're dehydrated).  But I dragged myself in there just to get it over with, and now the results come back high. Not to mention, they tell you not to worry about fasting so without even thinking about it I had breakfast (peanut butter on toast + a banana) less than half an hour before the test... that can't possibly have helped either.

I'm totally crushed that I have to go for the next round of testing.  I was super nauseous drinking the first drink and have no idea how i'm going to handle consuming even more glucose!
    I am in the EXACT same boat!!!! I was Sick+ ate breakfast right before... Failed by 2 points, SO not happy about taking the 3 hour test and feeling more nauseas with even more sugar
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Just an update: I had a 28 week ultrasound yesterday which found that the baby seems to be affected by the GD. I have an excess of amniotic fluid and the maternal fetal specialist says it is caused by the bouts of high blood sugar.  Also, lil' man has gained over a pound in the last 4 weeks, going from 1lb 10oz to 3lbs 1oz. The doctors are saying c-section at 38 weeks, possibly sooner depending on size and amount of fluid. The specialist has me going back to the endocrinologist this afternoon to discuss additional insulin, so hopefully that will produce a better solution and slow the baby's rapid growth.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,  I just found out yesterday that I have GD.  I was eating mostly a low carb/paleo diet for years before getting pregnant.  I added some carbs and sugar in during my pregnancy because I was having a hard time tolerating meat. While I was overweight pre-pregnancy, I'm very active and eat well.  I don't even know what my numbers are because I was in shock when my midwife called me.  I'm going to see the specialist at MFM on Thursday.  This diagnosis is particularly sh*tty because my son has also been diagnosed with a very rare heart defect and will need open heart surgery within his first week.  Getting the GD diagnosis is a kick in the gut on top of everything else we've been dealing with.  Frankly, getting this news pretty much broke me.  At this point, I think we are going to be one and done because there's no way I could handle another pregnancy like this.

• Options
    @jheaps I'm sorry this GD diagnosis comes during an already difficult time for you.  My thoughts will be with you and your family.  Please feel free to join in on the weekly GD check in thread for additional support.
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    @live4something I can relate.  Although I passed 2 GD tests in my second pregnancy I also had high levels of amniotic fluid and a large baby (9lbs at 37 weeks).  Most of her rapid growth and the excess fluids began/happened between 32-36 weeks, and unfortunately wasn't identified until the end of my pregnancy though.  I hope your visit with the endo goes well, and that it will help baby for the remainder of your pregnancy.
    #3 EDD 4.23.16