3rd Trimester

Squeezing my Colostrum out?

NellyRocheNellyRoche member
edited January 2016 in 3rd Trimester
Hey all :)

Just a quick question... Im 27 weeks- I haven't started leaking out Colostrum (pre milk) naturally until I qently squeeze my breasts (It stops when I release my grip) (no, I'm not going out of my way to squeeze my breast to let it out!).. I'm just curious if it's bad to squeeze out the Colostrum?
Thanks x

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Why would you *want* to express your colostrum??? IMO, everything happening in our bodies is happening for a reason, so I wouldn't go messing with your bodily functions at this point. I would leave well enough alone if I were you.
  • Change your screen name if that is your real name.
  • Yeah...you need to stop doing this. Get some preast pads and leave well enough alone. The first PP gave you every reason why you should not do this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• kitteh81 said:

I don't see the big deal, but then again I have nursed toddlers through two pregnancies, both of which I went postdates by a week or more. I don't think that the extremely minor nipple stimulation that occurs when hand expressing can push a normal, low-risk pregnancy into early labor.

It's not "bad" to squeeze out the colostrum. Your body will continue to make it until the placenta detaches, which triggers the body to begin producing mature milk. That said, I don't really see the point in expressing colostrum, and I would definitely refrain from pumping to create a stash, for a variety of reasons. But unless your doc has given you reason to be concerned about preterm labor, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Well it's all fine and dandy that you don't think hand expressing colostrum will do anything, but I think it's irresponsible of you to give this advice considering there is actual scientific research that says otherwise. What are your credentials?
  • Thanks for your message x
  • amm0512 said:

I started hand expressing colostrum at 37 weeks to built up a stash before DD was born. I bought a pack of 5mL syringes and froze whatever I expressed each day. I ended up with 25-30 syringes by the time of my RCS at 39+1. As one PP said, you'll find info that nipple stimulation can induce labor. My advice is to wait till 37 weeks so you'll be considered full term, and know there is a risk if you begin hand expressing that you could start having contractions.

37 weeks isn't full term anymore. ACOG now defines "full term" as 40 weeks.
    And again - check with your doctor, not some random internet strangers who have obviously conflicting opinions on the topic.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @kitteh81
    DED

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't understand why you would want to express colostrum, since it's the most potent and pure form of breast milk possible. Keep that gold in, leave your girls alone, and you'll be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @kitteh81 I can't tell if that's Katherine Heigel?!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't understand why you would want to express colostrum, since it's the most potent and pure form of breast milk possible. Keep that gold in, leave your girls alone, and you'll be fine.

Your body continues to make it until the baby is born, after that the quantity is limited. So it's not really a precious, finite resource until baby arrives. If it were, there'd be nothing left by the time my new squish is born, with the amount my toddler has been nursing lately.
  • @cmerribury it's Jaime Pressly
    Ahhh, thanks! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• kitteh81 said:
    I don't understand why you would want to express colostrum, since it's the most potent and pure form of breast milk possible. Keep that gold in, leave your girls alone, and you'll be fine.
    Your body continues to make it until the baby is born, after that the quantity is limited. So it's not really a precious, finite resource until baby arrives. If it were, there'd be nothing left by the time my new squish is born, with the amount my toddler has been nursing lately.
    I mean, I get that...but why waste it? One you squeeze enough to express it and realize that's what's going to happen, wouldn't you stop unless you had a reason (nursing toddler for instance) to continue doing it? I'm sorry, it just seems illogical to me. Perhaps she only did it once or twice to see what would happen, I don't know, I wasn't there. But I think the advice to quit it is sound.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I dunno, I remember being a mixture of sort of scared of my body's new capabilities and also really curious about it when I was a FTM. I remember noticing that something was starting to happen in the girls, and checking periodically to see if it was still producing, and I noticed that the colostrum started out sort of clear and sticky and became increasingly more thick and yellow/gold. It's interesting, and I don't think there is anything wrong with being familiar with our bodies and bodily functions. But the point I'm trying to make is that there really isn't any harm in doing it, which is what the OP asked about.

• I started leaking at around 20 weeks and my dr said it's no big deal and not to worry about it. He also said that nipple stimulation is an old wives tale started to make women feel like they had control over when they could go into labor. /shrugs
    I can honestly say that nipple stimulation during labor definitely brought on contractions, so it definitely does do something - not saying it will put you into labor or anything
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• skruhmin said:

I started leaking at around 20 weeks and my dr said it's no big deal and not to worry about it. He also said that nipple stimulation is an old wives tale started to make women feel like they had control over when they could go into labor. /shrugs

I can honestly say that nipple stimulation during labor definitely brought on contractions, so it definitely does do something - not saying it will put you into labor or anything

Were you seriously playing with your nipples during labor? That is such an uncomfortable and awkward thing to picture.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018